Gibson Brands Forums

My current #1 is... a Jr. Special.

theboatcandream

14461oj.jpg

I picked it off a wall of lp specials for having the loudest, most ballanced, most resonant tone unplugged. I refinished the (maple) neck, put on some quality tuners, installed a seth lover pickup, and gave it a real setup.

The bridge sometimes makes people wonder what's going on. It's by a company called hipshot and I highly recommend the upgrade.

jjmphj.jpg

I used to debate with myself over which medium level guitars were worth it above their counterparts. With my medium level guitars, I still invested in upgrades, but this thing was $100 new and has largely the same basic ingredients except that the body is lighter than a typical LP.

Ha' date=' that would be a trick! Actually it looks like the pickguard would cover the pickup cavity pretty nicely. Then the toggle switch could be used as a kill switch and coil splitter... I think you just gave me an idea for my next project![/quote']

If ya wanna know how yto wire that,pm me.

You know Ian...if you care to do it in here it may be benificial to others... 8-[

Mmmk.

I gotta find a diagram to MSpaint right...

Ok here.

I'm not entirely sure that it's right...

outv2r.jpg

Sorry it's messy, I did it in 20 minutes in paint.

Lovingly ripped off of SD's diagrams.

Ha' date=' that would be a trick! Actually it looks like the pickguard would cover the pickup cavity pretty nicely. Then the toggle switch could be used as a kill switch and coil splitter... I think you just gave me an idea for my next project![/quote']

Maybe this thread will provide some ideas. http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=2721

The bridge sometimes makes people wonder what's going on. It's by a company called hipshot and I highly recommend the upgrade.

Really? Dammit. I just ordered a Badass style bridge from GFS. The OEM wraparound is impossible to correctly intonate.

Mind you, the Hipshot costs almost as much as the guitar!

One more time: that's a 'Junior'. Whatever some people may have called it, there's no such thing as a 'Junior Special'. That's like having an SG 'Special Standard' or a Les Paul 'Custom Studio'. The Special is the two-pickup version. If it only has one pickup, it's a Junior.

juniorhead.jpg

While the wraparound bridge is a little tricky to adjust, it's nonetheless possible to get the intonation more or less 'in the ballpark'. The key is to check the intonation on all six strings and mark down the deviations before attempting any adjustments. Once you have this 'map' you can decide how to re-position the bridge so as to move all six strings into a position closest to their 'sweet spot', understanding that you might not get all six strings perfect but nonetheless it'll be 'good enough for rock 'n' roll' as they say. You just have to understand the way the entire bridge pivots as you adjust the screws, with the actual pivot point moving from left to right depending on the direction and number of turns of adjustment you apply to the two screws. For example, when you adjust one screw, the pivot point is going to be at the opposite stud (duh). If you adjust one screw in one turn and the other one out one turn, the pivot point will now be at the center of the bridge. Et cetera...

Really? Dammit. I just ordered a Badass style bridge from GFS. The OEM wraparound is impossible to correctly intonate.

Mind you' date=' the Hipshot costs almost as much as the guitar![/quote']

The Hipshot is also aluminum, and they'll do it nickle plated if you call them and ask them.

One more time: that's a 'Junior'. Whatever some people may have called it' date=' there's no such thing as a 'Junior Special'. That's like having an SG 'Special Standard' or a Les Paul 'Custom Studio'. The Special is the two-pickup version. If it only has one pickup, it's a Junior.[/quote']

I don't know what to believe anymore.

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/epiphone_lespaul_jr.html

http://www.soft.com.sg/forum/guitar-reviews/18935-epiphone-les-paul-jr-special.html

http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Junior-Special-Electric-Guitar/dp/B0002NLYOQ

There are a lot of people in the world who share my confusion.

While the wraparound bridge is a little tricky to adjust' date=' it's nonetheless possible to get the intonation more or less 'in the ballpark'.[/quote']

Yup. But I don't want 'in the ballpark', I want perfect. 8-[

Yup. But I don't want 'in the ballpark'' date=' I want perfect. 8-[[/quote']

I hear you. The Hipshot bridge as well as the Schaller unit (my fave) and the venerable Badass™ all do a great job of simplifying this process so that even a tyro can easily set up his intonation with out headaches. In my own experience, I have a pair of Junior DCs and after eight years I finally sat down and checked the intonation on one of them, and as expected it was off somewhat. I had been thinking of investing in a Schaller adjustable bridge but I found out that all I had to do was to completely loosen the screw on the right side of the wraparound and the intonation settled right in, as good as I could get with a tune-o-matic. Just lucky I guess...

cherryjunior.jpg

It's too bad the Junior models are so hard to find these days.

It's too bad the Junior models are so hard to find these days.

Agreed. Fantastic Junior there RotcanX. I always preferred the SG cousin of that same model you display' date=' which I was lucky enough to find in great condition for a 97 in a 'see thru' Cherry model no less! In fact, I was extra happy lurking around here a short while ago when it was you yourself who mentioned that the "see thru" models were possibly mahagony? Double score!

Certainly not a Junior and without question a beautiful DC [i']Special[/i] going shortly on the bay...

1996 Special DC -Click here for instant GAS!

Here's one possible solution:

three-way%20switch.gif

You can also do it slightly differently by treating the three-way as two discrete switches...

Ah.

Mine had the green and bare where you have the black, black direct to volume pot...

Mine MIGHT be a parallel/series/kill then...

Only way to find for sure is for someone on here to get a junior, a pickup, a switch, and 2 pots, try both out.

Archived