Gibson Brands Forums

string nut too tight ??

timmyinpajamas

If you're having problems tuning, and the string is actually catching in the slot (you'll hear it go 'ping' as you tighten the string)... you need to widen it. Easiest way would be to use an old 'E' string as a file, running it back and forth to widen the slot. Try not to deepen the slot too much though or else you'll have a whole new set of problems.

If you're having problems tuning' date=' and the string is actually catching in the slot (you'll hear it go 'ping' as you tighten the string)... you need to widen it. Easiest way would be to use an old 'E' string as a file, running it back and forth to widen the slot. Try not to deepen the slot too much though or else you'll have a whole new set of problems.[/quote']

thanks .. but i dont get the ping noise .. so the tightness doesnt effect the playing sound right ?

It's only a problem if it sticks at the slot..

another fix that's easy and less risky.. though rots suggestion is correct.. is to simply take a file and remove some of the nut slot that sticks up above the string.. it only needs to be barely over 50% in the slot to stay there.. sometimes that alone will help..

and put pencil lead in the slot .. it's graphite it's slick it lets the string slip easily through.. and no filing or cutting.

a tight slot that doesn't bind is good.. but pencil lead in all the string slots is what I do to all mine.

TWANG

It's only a problem if it sticks at the slot..

another fix that's easy and less risky.. though rots suggestion is correct.. is to simply take a file and remove some of the nut slot that sticks up above the string.. it only needs to be barely over 50% in the slot to stay there.. sometimes that alone will help..

and put pencil lead in the slot .. it's graphite it's slick it lets the string slip easily through.. and no filing or cutting.

a tight slot that doesn't bind is good.. but pencil lead in all the string slots is what I do to all mine.

TWANG

sounds good .. ill try that pencil lead .. and if it doesnt work ill file it wit my low e string

Archived