Gibson Brands Forums

what to do with my les paul 100?

poverty

My wife bought me this sunburst Left lespaul 100 for our 1st xmas as a married couple a couple of years ago. She was so proud!!

She didn't have much to spend and new my love for guitars, so this is what I've got. I purchased 2 more epiphones, ( dot and les paul standard) since this little bolt on beauty. She seams to think I've fallen "out of love" with it. It's turned into the guitar i play when we sit on the couch and she watches "so you think you can dance" or someother stupid show. It's not a bad guitar but, it's a les paul 100. Now how do you explain that to someone who would tear up in exactly 0.2 seconds. So, I thrown some money into it. Replaced the tuners with Grovers. Replaced the bridge pick up with a dimebucker. ( ya.. I know.. WTF!? but it's now my "metal axe").

Are there any other " mods" I can do to this little beater? (other then replacing all the pots/wires/ guts)

Thanx in advance.

Poverty.

Possibilities include

- removing the pickguard entirely.

- playing without a neck pickup

- installing on-board effects

- refinishing the neck and body, or at least replacing the polyester finish with a urethane or oil finish

- carving the body into a double cut

- convert it to drop A tuning

- carving a design into the face of the body

It comes down to time and creativity.

^continued-

-Turning it into a bass

-Going to active pickups

-putting in minihumbuckers

-routing and installing a floyd rose

-bone or graphite nut

-putting in P-90s

-routing the reverse side, adding a cutaway, putting a rotating joint foe the neck, and turning the other side to a telecaster-type configuration

Depends how insane you are.

I own several Nice Gibsons and I've traded many more; I think the LP-100 is a Fine Guitar and would have no problem playing one on stage and showing it off to my friends.

Keep it' date=' enjoy it, makes your wife happy.[/quote']

Sounds like out of all the replies, out-of-control is the only one married[-x lol!

kidding!

I guess i could through some gfs mean 90's in, but i've already got the dimebucker, and the neck pup is already pretty hot.

Just looking for some simple ideas.

i'll save all the crazy stuff for the dot and LP standard.

Thanx everyone.

I'd use it as the alternate tuning guitar. Had some fun recently playing "Crimson and Clover" in Open E (Open D with capo on second fret), but it's annoying having to retune back to standard and wait for the strings to settle down. Another option is to remove the low E string and tune it to open G like Keith Richards.

Heck, I'd just enjoy it in the living room, as you described. I'm always noodling away on whatever guitar is in my hand, if I'm sitting on the couch. The LP 100 doesn't have to be the mightiest or highest quality guitar for that. I have the LP Junior, and it's just SO comfortable to sit with, unlike some other electrics that cost more. If it sounds decent unplugged, as mine does, and you enjoy the noodling, she will notice (the wife, I mean).

My mom bought me a cheap acoustic Hohner guitar, back in the 70s when I about 8 years old. She was blown away last xmas when I showed her the wear on that guitar. "Yep, it gets played every day." I said. She knows I have more expensive guitars, higher quality guitars... but this one (I said) is my regular home guitar, yes indeed. She knows now that her gift was very much appreciated.

~Dietrich.

Heck' date=' I'd just enjoy it in the living room, as you described. I'm always noodling away on whatever guitar is in my hand, if I'm sitting on the couch. The LP 100 doesn't have to be the mightiest or highest quality guitar for that. I have the LP Junior, and it's just SO comfortable to sit with, unlike some other electrics that cost more. If it sounds decent unplugged, as mine does, and you enjoy the noodling, she will notice (the wife, I mean).

My mom bought me a cheap acoustic Hohner guitar, back in the 70s when I about 8 years old. She was blown away last xmas when I showed her the wear on that guitar. "Yep, it gets played every day." I said. She knows I have more expensive guitars, higher quality guitars... but this one (I said) is my regular home guitar, yes indeed. She knows now that her gift was very much appreciated.

~Dietrich. [/quote']

a pic would be nice.

I had a 64 Olympic...

Got rid of it in 70

Compared to what was out there ....at best....An O.K. guitar.

STUPID!!!

Have fun with what you got...don't get rid of it without a reason. Otherwise who knows...It may be your grandkids first guitar in times to come.

If you can't live with it, tell her you're going to get it refinished. Take to GC and trade it in for the Epi LP you want.

Or, explain guitars are just wood and metal and are transitory and she's the true love of your life, then go trade it in with her permission.

I would just leave it the way it is. She bought it because she wanted to make you happy and show that she loves you. i would just leave it stock other than changing the basic stuff. dont mess with the paint and crap. But hey...its up to you. thats my $1.50

Sounds like out of all the replies' date=' out-of-control is the only one married[-x lol!

kidding!

I guess i could through some gfs mean 90's in, but i've already got the dimebucker, and the neck pup is already pretty hot.

Just looking for some simple ideas.

i'll save all the crazy stuff for the dot and LP standard.

Thanx everyone.

[/quote']

jack up the nut with one of those nut extenders, buy a slide and "learn" to play slide on "her" guitar at loud levels with excessive treble dialed in during her favorite TV shows.

If you can't live with it' date=' tell her you're going to get it refinished. Take to GC and trade it in for the Epi LP you want.

Or, explain guitars are just wood and metal and are transitory and she's the true love of your life, then go trade it in with her permission.[/quote']

Better yet Poverty, take her (and your wife, heh) with you to GC and let her (your wife) choose the new one, which one she likes the best. "I'd like to trade it if that's okay [because of some rational explanation], and I'd love it if you'd choose the new one for me" kinda thing always works for me.

Otherwise I'd keep it pretty much stock and tinker with different pickups on that LP-100 myself. It's not wise to throw cash away in mods you don't need or waste a good guitar in an attempt to refinish or relic it.

Continue to play it when you're both sitting together on the couch. Let her know that you appreciate the guitar. She bought it for you because she loves you and wanted to make you happy. You stated that you have a Dot and a Standard. Sure, it's an LP 100, but it's the LP 100 that your wife bought you for Christmas out of love. Love her back and play the guitar.

Archived