Gibson Brands Forums

Does enyone know the price to changing out an Epi Sherr 2 pickups?

LaRouteDu

I have a 93 epi sherry and want to pop some new pups in it and would like to know how much it would cost and whats the most they should charge me. PS my sherry doesnt have that sticker thats suppose to be in the F-Hole, whats that mean?

For $300 I'm sure you can figure out how to do it yourself. It's supposed to be easy but I didn't want to try it. I paid $300 for the guitar itself, brand new on e-bay.

I put in a couple Gibson pick ups, 490 and 498, I think.

Don't current Sheraton's have the quick change wiring? So, you just unsnap them, and resnap in the new ones? Even if not, it's no big deal to change out the pickups! You can just splice the wiring, solder and cover with tubing

or electical tape.

The wiring harness, is another matter, though. But, try the new pickups, alone, first...

unless, there's something wrong, with the pots and switches.

CB

Don't current Sheraton's have the quick change wiring? So' date=' you just unsnap them, and resnap in the new ones? Even if not, it's no big deal to change out the pickups! You can just splice the wiring, solder and cover with tubing

or electical tape.

The wiring harness, is another matter, though. But, try the new pickups, alone, first...

unless, there's something wrong, with the pots and switches.

CB[/quote']

Aftermarket pups don't come with quik change wiring(yet), so it's not gonna help.

What you described is the cheat method with an unnecessary extra step.

I have a 93 epi sherry and want to pop some new pups in it and would like to know how much it would cost and whats the most they should charge me. PS my sherry doesnt have that sticker thats suppose to be in the F-Hole' date=' whats that mean?[/quote']

your sherri doesn't have the sticker in the f-hole? My Gawd! That's inexcusable! :-s

Don't worry about it. I have two Epi Emperor IIs (MIK by Samick) that had no sticker

in their f-holes as well. Ya, it bothers me a bit, but since I rewired mine completely,

I added my own oval sticker in the opposite f-hole, with the sn and the date of

the upgrade. Ok, it's not official, but it may set one's mind at ease, if the sticker

is that critical.

As far as the p_up change cost, (I presume you mean that the cost of the p_ups is

not included) only the installation...it would depend on how you want the pups

installed.

a) Soldered to the volume pots. ALL wiring has to come out (especially the jack, vol and

tone pots and then fished back in)...2 HRS MINIMUM and the most expensive at

say $50 to $75 a hour

=D> Cut the original P-ups wires and connectorize with (molex connectors or whatever)

on the old pup wires (signal + shield) and connectorize the new p_ups ..a bit cheaper

but still a minimum of 1 hr and probably a bit more.

c) cheat method; Cut original p_up wires and splice new p_up wires into them.

The least expensive, probably no more than 15 minutes per p_up.

yep exactly what i want to do. you think it will cost alot more to coil-tap?

Oooo! This is a horse of a different colour. Coil tapping involves 4 wire +shield wiring

to a push-pull tone pot (2 push pulls) and you might as well throw in a min-toggle for

a phase switch, for the "nasal out of phase"sound that sounds a bit like somebody

singing "Winchester Cathedral, yur bringin' me down" through an acoustic megaphone.

Neat effect. but may be somewhat limited in use..don't know. I put one on mine cuz

it's the right thing to do with "four x four" coil tappin'.

The big problem is getting the longer alpha push-pulls through the small f-hole

opening. It might be possible to shoe horn them in (with some scratching of the

f-hole), but it ain't gonna be easy...not to mention wiring up 4 wires to each push pull..

and you better connectorize the p_ups at that point, because it going to cost plenty

to do any p_up upgrade later.

Not to beat a dead horse, but here's my method (see post #*): http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=3614

As mentioned, the tech at my local shop refused the job, so I did it myself. I didn't want to drill any holes, so I stuck with the conventional wiring and three-way switch (I previously wired up a guitar with a phase switch, and the extra sound was useless -- for one thing, putting both pickups out of phase kills the volume; for another, it didn't sound like anything I wanted to hear).

The only way you'll know how much you can get it done for locally is to call the shop and get an estimate.

Your Sheraton may very well have the narrow f-holes, since it is a couple of years older than my '95 Samick-made one. Mine lacks the label also...but don't worry: nobody will any ability is going to counterfeit an Epiphone. For all the work involved, they might as well go the extra step and put a Gibson logo on it.

too bad you didn't live near Eastpointe ,MI . There is a music store there that if you buy pickups from them , they install them for free. Which is awesome since I am picking up and sunburst Epi dot from that store and they sell the Gibson 57 humbuckers a little cheaper than Guitar Center . I just recently had Seymour Duncan 59 zebra coils installed in my Epi Korina V

too bad you didn't live near Eastpointe ' date='MI . There is a music store there that if you buy pickups from them , they install them for free. Which is awesome since I am picking up and sunburst Epi dot from that store and they sell the Gibson 57 humbuckers a little cheaper than Guitar Center . I just recently had Seymour Duncan 59 zebra coils installed in my Epi Korina V [/quote']

There's a store in Royal, MI that will install them free. Ya gotta live in Michigan.

for one thing' date=' putting both pickups out of phase kills the volume; for another, it didn't sound like anything I wanted to hear).

Mine lacks the label also...but don't worry: nobody will any ability is going to counterfeit an Epiphone. For all the work involved, they might as well go the extra step and put a Gibson logo on it.[/quote']

The phase switch should only go on the neck pickup and used primarily when the 3way selector is on "Rythmn" or

neck position. I agree though that the phase switch is a bit of a novelty, and is basically a special effect rather

than a normally used tone setting.

As far as counterfeit (EPis), it is always possible that some could be made and sold on the online bidding marketplace.

SN are pretty easy to duplicate.

Archived