Gibson Brands Forums

es 333

marcbc

Has anybody checked out the es 333 the one with the bad *** racing stripe and the dirty fingers pickup and the natural neck that thing is so sick. i dont even like blink 182 but this guitar is awesome and it has a back plate that most semi hjollows dont have? do you you guys have anymore info in it?

There were inquiries on the old forum as to whether Epi would indulge us with a budget version of the Gibson Tom Delonge model; I guess there's at least one guy that's happy to see this sig. Being a new model for 2008, I haven't had the opportunity to try one out yet; unless someone orders one I doubt we'll be getting one in as a stock item. However I have to admit I'm intrigued by the whole concept and the access panel on the back is a welcome innovation. I'm keeping my eye open for a good deal on a regular Dot Studio which I could convert to a similar setup... I'm thinking that the 333 is a little pricey compared to the cost of a Dot Studio plus a DF pickup.

I've got a Gibson 333 and for the life of me I can't figure out why that model didn't catch on. It's the perfect 'workingman's 335' with (hotter) 490/498 pickups and the control cavity in the back. Perfect for the bar-band guy who wants the 335 sound (with a little more bite for live gigs) without having to 'sacrifice' his 335 to the perils of bar rooms.

I've got a Gibson 333 and for the life of me I can't figure out why that model didn't catch on. It's the perfect 'workingman's 335' with (hotter) 490/498 pickups and the control cavity in the back. Perfect for the bar-band guy who wants the 335 sound (with a little more bite for live gigs) without having to 'sacrifice' his 335 to the perils of bar rooms.

Don't know, exactly, either...slim. Might be that for "bar" or small club gigs,

the Epiphone Dot was the one to go to? Good sound, and even less money, than the ES-333,

so if it got "trashed" you were out even less? But, the 333's were/are

nice guitars, no doubt!

CB

The only thing they could do to the DeLonge model to make it a "Studio" would be remove the racing stripe...

It's already got a single volume knob' date=' a single (uncovered) humbucker, a matte finish...[/quote']

Well, that, and his name, and a different stock pickup.

That's like $100 off the price right there.

EDIT: plus, take off the binding on body/neck, no inlays, standard bridge, there's like another $50 or so, at least.

This could be a set-neck hollowbody with absolutely no frills at 200 or 250...

If the specs online are to believed, the DeLonge 333 differs from the other Dots in that has a 3-ply, rather than 5-ply body. In that regard, it's closer to Gibson. The Gibson pickup, access panel, mahogany neck (some Dots have maple necks), and maple block (the Dots have a type or mahogany) also set it apart from the Dots, and make it more like a genuine 333. I'd say $499 is a fair value if it's well-consructed (and I don't have any reason to think ot would be).

Red 333

If the specs online are to believed' date=' the DeLonge 333 differs from the other Dots in that has a 3-ply, rather than 5-ply body. In that regard, it's closer to Gibson. The Gibson pickup, access panel, mahogany neck (some Dots have maple necks), and maple block (the Dots have a type or mahogany) also set it apart from the Dots, and make it more like a genuine 333. I'd say $499 is a fair value if it's well-consructed (and I don't have any reason to think ot would be).

Red 333[/quote']

1. Specs from where? MF isn't accuracy-city here...

2. The dot has a maple block, I own one, so I know.

3. I think that a REALLY stripped down version, like the dot studio, could be down to 250 or less. That means no gibby pickup, no binding, single color or sunburst finish, no inlays. I like the idea of an epiphone semi hollow for 250. Oh, and it should have a tone knob, too...

1. Specs from where? MF isn't accuracy-city here...

2. The dot has a maple block' date=' I own one, so I know.

3. I think that a REALLY stripped down version, like the dot studio, could be down to 250 or less. That means no gibby pickup, no binding, single color or sunburst finish, no inlays. I like the idea of an epiphone semi hollow for 250. Oh, and it should have a tone knob, too...[/quote']

1. SEVERAL online retailer have published that spec. BUT, I said "if they are to be believed."

2. I have a Dot too. Mine does not have a maple block, as far as I can tell. Epiphone does not specify online what wood the the block is, nor have they in their catalogs recently. That's probably because they have no control over what wood the various sub-contractors use. Yours may have a maple block. I have also seen some with a type of mahogany neck (or so Spud doesn't get on my case, a wood that resembles it), while others clearly have maple necks.

By the way, I'd be careful saying you "know" because you have Dot. I have a Gibson 335, 333, 339, Epiphone Elitist Dot, and a Dot Deluxe. That does not make me the absolute authority on 335-style Semi-hollows. It means I can tell you about the the experience I have with these particular examples of the models mentioned. There are lots of variables in the manufacturing process (ESPECIALLY among the Epiphones), and as different instruments pass through your hands (as they have through mine), you will learn about them if you care to look for such things.

3. The DeLong ES 333 is not a "stripped down" version of the Dot, nor is it like a Dot Studio, precisely for the reasons I stated. The construction, pick up, and materials used in the construction (if they are as described) make it a more accurate version of a Gibson 333 than either the Dot or Dot Studio, which makes it a more UPMARKET product . If well excecuted, it should be an excellent value, as the DeLonge 333 would seem to offer some possible advantages over the other standard Epiphone Dots.

And, though you may not want to admit it (or you may have enough experience with a Gibson to understand it), there is a BIG difference between a Gibson ES model and a (non Elitist) Epiphone (though Epiphone Dots and Dot Studios are excellent guitars in their own right).

Anyway, there already IS a stripped down version of the Dot which sells for exactly the price you mentioned; why would there need to be another?

Red 333

also, i think the epi delonge is maple/birch plies instead of a bunch of plies of maple. i thought it was a cheap-o costcutting move at first, but other, far more expensive guitars (the elitist country deluxe, for one) feature maple/birch. no idea what the sonic difference is, though. probably not a whole lot through with the dirty finger.

Archived