Gibson Brands Forums

Wiring question for friend with problems

stumblinman

Hey guys, got a question. I have a buddy that bought an LP from a guy he works with, and when he uses the bridge pickup and turns the tone down, it doesn't change the tone, but when it's at about 10% from off, the volume drops to almost nothing, but no tone change. When it's in both positions, the neck tone still works as well as volume, but if you turn down the bridge tone, same problem. Neck position volume and tone work fine. Any ideas where to check for bad wiring? Obviously something ain't right. Thanks guys!

Change the tone pot on the bridge pickup.

To be honest' date=' once you've bought one pot and soldered it in, you may as well replace all the wiring in the guitar, though...[/quote']

As nicely finished as Epis are, they tend to cut corners on the electronics. It's easy enough to change out the pots and switch on an LP, and I say, go ahead and follow iansmitchell's advice.

So it's probably more than a loose solder joint eh? Man, I was hoping it was simple as he's not capable of doing it, which leaves it to me.. :D So which ones should he (obviously meaning I) buy? He's kinda cheap lol, so decent yet frugal is the way to go methinks. Might as well do all 4 eh? Any package deals around?

Wow' date=' cheap and complete. Me likey. Thanks for the tip, didn't even get to GFS yet to check. I'll let you know how it comes out.[/quote']

Good deal man.

I highly recommend it, works great and the price is right.

Also, check with your friend, a set of GFS pups may be in order with new changes...

You know, if he is happy with it as it is, maybe you should let it be for awhile. Let him enjoy what he has without thinking it is defective. As he gets better, he will realize that there is a problem and want to fix it. Then you come in and tell him about the GFS upgrade and he is happy all over again. Twice happy instead of dissapointed.

I guess it could be as easy as a bad bridge pickup tone cap or one that has the lead that goes to ground touching the input lug on the tone pot. Before I ordered a wiring kit, I'd at least pop off the cover behind the pots and look for an obvious ground fault. Sometimes the cap is connected from a lug on the tone pot to the case of the tone pot and other times it's connected to another ground source. You can find pictures of the wiring at www.seymourduncan.com . There are pictures in the threads on this site also, if you search for "wiring" or "hum".

Archived