Gibson Brands Forums

Custom bass..How?

neural_rust

Epiphone "Custom Shop" doesn't mean that they really Custom-Build the guitar/bass to your personal specs. Custom Shop Epiphones are usually Limited Editions, are in someway visually different, or have different hardware from Standard Epiphones.

ok, thanks everybody..

i have some money, and was thinking about getting a custom build bass, but i think it would cost me less to have some local luthier make one for me..

or maybe i'll be getting the new warwick starbass.. we'll see..

Hey NR - Plenty of good luthiers out there. I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but there's an interesting cat name of Jon Hill - used to be out of Cleveland, now in FL working for Hamer. (insert sigh here)... Anyway, he built mine, and it's fantastic. I paid $3500, but it's want I wanted. I could have paid lots more or less, but whatever you do, do your research/homework, and make sure you know everything you want in great detail before embarking on this journey - it will save you heartbreak and pain later!

Humbuckers required?

PU configuration?

Woods?

Where/how to set controls/jack?

Neck-through or bolted and length?

Solid or laminated neck?

Fretted?

Fingerboard wood?

Hardware?

Headstock?

Finish?

Blah blah, but unless you know these for starters, your shopping will be a foggy and less than joyous experience. I drew out a few versions of mine, compared with every other maker I could find, talked to other players, and got continuous feedback from Jon throughout the process. He added a few "tweaks" as it all came together.

And #1 = NEVER plunk down all your cash at the start!! A reputable builder will take a dp and then get it done.

Best Wishes - post pics

Brew

Archived