Gibson Brands Forums

scammer alert---you decide if this is legit BEWARE

golden gaze

=P~ I was browsing ebay and came across this gibson lp jr. The shocking thing is i recognized the same pic on a local craigslist and the seller posted 150 dollars, i laughed and called it--and no one answered, only a answering machine. Now----read the description, the payment method seems insane too. hahaha.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1961-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-JR-SG-CHERRY-VINTAGE-P-90_W0QQitemZ170240642825QQihZ007QQcategoryZ118985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nice little Junior though. I'd venture that the tuners are not original however; they're a little too clean for a guitar that old.

its a very nice guitar no doubt, i went to contact the seller---it says contact me at this address, because i wont be able to access my ebay emAIL..........................BIG LOL

I HOPE NO ONE FALLS FOR IT

=P~ I was browsing ebay and came across this gibson lp jr. The shocking thing is i recognized the same pic on a local craigslist and the seller posted 150 dollars' date=' i laughed and called it--and no one answered, only a answering machine. Now----read the description, the payment method seems insane too. hahaha.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1961-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-JR-SG-CHERRY-VINTAGE-P-90_W0QQitemZ170240642825QQihZ007QQcategoryZ118985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/quote']

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that E Bay auction so maybe it's you that's in question here.... It's not unusual that guitars that sell for over three or four grand are paid for with an E-Check or a Cashiers check...for one thing PayPal (and credit card companies) can get expensive with their fees. The seller has very good feedback and the feedback is from selling similar items so please tell us what it is that you find so iffy that you want to play net cop? I can't say anything about the Craigslist listing but I can tell you from experience that Craigslist is far more risky than E Bay and it wouldn't surprise me that the Craigslist listing is the questionable one if even in any way related to the E Bay auction. I don't see anywhere that it says the seller doesn't want to be contacted and it's easily enough done by simply sending it through E Bay. It's very irresponsible to come on a public forum screaming " scam" when you have so little to back up your questions. You'd do well to just keep quiet unless you have proof positive (which in this case you do not) that there's a scam afoot. If you want to play net cop it'd be advisable to actually have some factual background knowledge before you go posting accusations.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that E Bay auction so maybe it's you that's in question here.... It's not unusual that guitars that sell for over three or four grand are paid for with an E-Check or a Cashiers check...for one thing PayPal (and credit card companies) can get expensive with their fees. The seller has very good feedback and the feedback is from selling similar items so please tell us what it is that you find so iffy that you want to play net cop? I can't say anything about the Craigslist listing but I can tell you from experience that Craigslist is far more risky than E Bay and it wouldn't surprise me that the Craigslist listing is the questionable one if even in any way related to the E Bay auction. I don't see anywhere that it says the seller doesn't want to be contacted and it's easily enough done by simply sending it through E Bay. It's very irresponsible to come on a public forum screaming " scam" when you have so little to back up your questions. You'd do well to just keep quiet unless you have proof positive (which in this case you do not) that there's a scam afoot. If you want to play net cop it'd be advisable to actually have some factual background knowledge before you go posting accusations.

I said BEWARE----heads up!!! Maybe its me???im the one in question. Gee. maybe im dumb.sorry.

1-Go ahead and click contact seller----see what happens. He explicitely states for you to not contact him thru ebay. Read it--sounds fishy.It also says in the big ebay logo not to deal with sellers outside like this.

2- It was strange because I recognized the pic in my local craigslist in my home town, what are the chances? same pic=same background,craigslist is ahaven for scammers. Anyone see the 50s Les paul scams for 1800 buckS?

3- Its not extroidanary for accounts to be hijacked and fraud committed on the bay, it happens all the time. And they ebay tries........and it still happens

Add all that up, the pic, the payment, the unusual contact outside of ebay, just made me extremely suspicious, In fact , EBAY discourages it. There are scammers doing this **** everywhere.

Anytime a seller says send me a cashiers check, and says to deal with him at another email address-----

Not to good. In fact, you are SOL if the guitar never arrives. PEACE

It might be legit, or not.who knows. I can see why this is a questionable ebay listing. Grandpa AL didnt take his pills, or evidently check out the highlights gaze mentioned----- I wouldnt buy it. When you click on contact----there's a sign that says " I'll be in Nigeria for the next 2 weeks, so just send the money to 17347 nigeria rd, 23333 Nigeria,, Have A Nice Day"8-[ =P~O:)

I said BEWARE----heads up!!! Maybe its me???im the one in question. Gee. maybe im dumb.sorry.

1-Go ahead and click contact seller----see what happens. He explicitely states for you to not contact him thru ebay. Read it--sounds fishy.It also says in the big ebay logo not to deal with sellers outside like this.

2- It was strange because I recognized the pic in my local craigslist in my home town' date=' what are the chances? same pic=same background,craigslist is ahaven for scammers. Anyone see the 50s Les paul scams for 1800 buckS?

3- Its not extroidanary for accounts to be hijacked and fraud committed on the bay, it happens all the time. And they ebay tries........and it still happens

Add all that up, the pic, the payment, the unusual contact outside of ebay, just made me extremely suspicious, In fact , EBAY discourages it. There are scammers doing this **** everywhere.

Anytime a seller says send me a cashiers check, and says to deal with him at another email address-----

Not to good. In fact, you are SOL if the guitar never arrives. PEACE [/quote']

I think you want to play net cop. He asked that he be contacted through a different email addrerss...everything else looks totally above board...another thing...it could be that he's entertaining offers outside of E Bay since with E Bay, PayPal/credit card fees etc the fees could add up to what you're used to paying for a guitar...a lot of dealers put guitars on E Bay with no intention of selling there just to get a price idea... E Bay scrutinizes the email exchanges and it could be E Bay he's trying to scam which is fine with me....if this is out of your league or grasp of understanding then just keep to the $400 current Epiphone models and don't worry yourself about it....and actually you should be worried if someone offers to send you a cashiers check...not the other way 'round. Sounds to me like he's trying to save on credit card (it costs money to take credit cars) fees which alone could be $250 on that guitar...

I think you want to play net cop. He asked that he be contacted through a different email addrerss...everything else looks totally above board...another thing...it could be that he's entertaining offers outside of E Bay since with E Bay' date=' PayPal/credit card fees etc the fees could add up to what you're used to paying for a guitar...a lot of dealers put guitars on E Bay with no intention of selling there just to get a price idea... E Bay scrutinizes the email exchanges and it could be E Bay he's trying to scam which is fine with me....if this is out of your league or grasp of understanding then just keep to the $400 current Epiphone models and don't worry yourself about it....and actually you should be worried if someone offers to send you a cashiers check...not the other way 'round. Sounds to me like he's trying to save on credit card (it costs money to take credit cars) fees which alone could be $250 on that guitar...[/quote']

AL, your REALLY trying hard here. A little too hard. Now your speculating. The dude Goldengaze came up with legit points to be careful. People always post scam and fake epis here. I think it' OK to give a heads up, thats all he did. The only person playing net cop is you, you blundered into this post without checking or exploring the things he mentioned. You know alot about epis- fact. But that doesnt give you the right to totally blast someone who is trying to help.

What about the 400 current epi dollar stab,? where did that come from?that wasnt on topic, he didnt deserve that. Your a hater dude.

AL' date=' your REALLY trying hard here. A little too hard. Now your speculating. The dude Goldengaze came up with legit points to be careful. People always post scam and fake epis here. I think it' OK to give a heads up, thats all he did. The only person playing net cop is you, you blundered into this post without checking or exploring the things he mentioned. You know alot about epis- fact. But that doesnt give you the right to totally blast someone who is trying to help.

What about the 400 current epi dollar stab,? where did that come from?that wasnt on topic, he didnt deserve that. Your a hater dude. [/quote']

I guess you want some attention huh? OK. Princess, I've got a bit of experience on E Bay and I've seen just about everything possible take place there and there are no alarms going off for me. I've bought and sold about two dozen $4K+ guitars in the past four or five years on E Bay and the Internet without any problems either way...how many have you sold? I understand about the various fees and no, when you're dealing with a $400 guitar there isn't that level of fees...$20 VS. $200 so if the dynamics of buying and selling at that higher level is discomforting to anyone then they indeed should stick to dealing with cheaper instruments (and hence lower fees). There's a likelihood that the guitar isn't even intended to be sold on E Bay..the seller is trying to establish a price point...so he puts it on E Bay with a slightly high BIN and waits for the offers...he doesn't want E Bay to know what he's doing so he asks to be contacted through a different email...are you following this? I don't want to go too fast for you...anyway, there's nothing wrong with that auction but there is something wrong with announcing a "SCAM Alert" in a public forum when you don't have conclusive proof...a "heads up" is fine but I'll direct you to the topic header...which is more of an announcement that the poster has uncovered a definite scam...which isn't the case at all here. I think it's fantastic that someone who does uncover a scam announces it but they need to be damned certain that it is a scam...otherwise phrase it as a question not an indictment and see if anyone else perceives your concerns and take it from there..

I have been reading these posts with some interest, the origional heading is scammer alert---you decide if this is legit BEWARE NOT just scammer alert.

I believe it is fair for a fellow forum user to alert people to these "some times iffie adds", to attach them is a lot out of field. I'm not going to attack you Iconoclast as that would make me the same as you.

This add may very well be legit, and may well not be. You took much exception to this origional post I have to think WHY!! only you can answer that one, I could speculate, but then again that would be inappropriate.

I also picked up on your reference, twice mind you, regarding the cost of guitars, I feel you are refering to people who may be from a lower socio economic background, where as you appear to be from the upper end refering to be able to purchase the upperend market guitars.

Before you attack me I do understand your comments and so do the other posters, I feel you have a hidden ajender to attack,. The question would have to be raised why attack so viciously, yes make comment but to attack a person that is way inappropriate.

Your sarcasm was very childish, you have been bought to task on your attack so instead of clarifing or even as a man admitting you where over the top, you resorted to the lowest form of attack sarcasm.

Golden Gaze & sdgails I'm with you. Normally I don't get involved in these sort of attacks, however this one is has all the traits of a school yard bully, but in an adult form.

This forum is a great forum, yes people have their differances from time to time but never such an attack, Iconoclast you are attempting to put yourself above other people here, you may well be from the higher socio economic society, if so good on you, if you can afford the upper priced guitars good on you, but don't attack others for comments, are you trying to prove your superiority, it appears so to me.

Before you attack me as being in the low socio economic group, I'm not, I do well for myself and family, and could aford upper priced guitars easily. I don't class myself.

Iconoclast, you enjoy life, it's only to short.

Regards

RR

I have been reading these posts with some interest' date=' the origional heading is scammer alert---you decide if this is legit BEWARE NOT just scammer alert.

I believe it is fair for a fellow forum user to alert people to these "some times iffie adds", to attach them is a lot out of field. I'm not going to attack you Iconoclast as that would make me the same as you.

This add may very well be legit, and may well not be. You took much exception to this origional post I have to think WHY!! only you can answer that one, I could speculate, but then again that would be inappropriate.

I also picked up on your reference, twice mind you, regarding the cost of guitars, I feel you are refering to people who may be from a lower socio economic background, where as you appear to be from the upper end refering to be able to purchase the upperend market guitars.

Before you attack me I do understand your comments and so do the other posters, I feel you have a hidden ajender to attack,. The question would have to be raised why attack so viciously, yes make comment but to attack a person that is way inappropriate.

Your sarcasm was very childish, you have been bought to task on your attack so instead of clarifing or even as a man admitting you where over the top, you resorted to the lowest form of attack sarcasm.

Golden Gaze & sdgails I'm with you. Normally I don't get involved in these sort of attacks, however this one is has all the traits of a school yard bully, but in an adult form.

This forum is a great forum, yes people have their differances from time to time but never such an attack, Iconoclast you are attempting to put yourself above other people here, you may well be from the higher socio economic society, if so good on you, if you can afford the upper priced guitars good on you, but don't attack others for comments, are you trying to prove your superiority, it appears so to me.

Before you attack me as being in the low socio economic group, I'm not, I do well for myself and family, and could aford upper priced guitars easily. I don't class myself.

Iconoclast, you enjoy life, it's only to short.

Regards

RR

Geez...whatever...my point was about ways sellers use E Bay to establish prices and for saving money on credit card/ E Bay fees which are proportionately higher when dealing with higher priced guitars and which can add up to serious money but if you want to connect it to your personal insecurity about your socio-eco station, go for it.. I don't care what you can or can't afford....but now, you've taken it upon yourself to jump in here and take exception to my tone or whatever in dealing with the original poster and suggesting that I have some kind of agenda... because I told the poster that it was irresponsible to accuse someone of having a scam auction in a public forum...and instead of seeing where such a public accusation without concrete evidence or proof could be imprudent, the poster defended his actions and put it upon me to prove that it wasn't a scam.. when that happens one needs to accept that my response to such a challenge is going to be less than congenial...The auction had none of the warning signs of a fraudulent auction but sometimes people want to be the big shot or the hero by exposing a fraud...which is commendable even when ego-driven but the original poster needs to be certain before starting a post titled "Scammer Alert" and ending it with "BEWARE" no matter that there's some vague qualification of inviting the reader to "come to his own conclusions.....which I did and at which point I decided that the original poster didn't know what he was talking about...now, if you walk into a public place and say..."Joe's Guitar Shop is a scam operation" you've just committed slander and you can be sued if a loss of business results from such an ignorant and irresponsible action...you can draw whatever conclusions you wish about my response but no, I don't have anything to do with the auction and no, I wouldn't defend anyone perpetuating a scam but I also wouldn't accuse anyone of perpetuating a scam unless I was damned certain...and the original poster was not. If clueless people want to come here and open their mouths before thinking or knowing I guess it's only fair that they expect to be taken to task for their idiocy and if your perception of that is of a school yard bully dynamic... whatever...If someone is going to open their mouth and spew mindless crap they should be very prepared for the possibility that someone is going to call them on it... I'll also wager that Epiphone isn't going to be all that pleased with their forum being used to slander an E Bay seller so don't be surprised if this all disappears in a hurry....end of story.

That's odd. Do you have a link to the Craigslist ad?

Yes, I thought it was odd too. Thats what led me to question the listing in the first place. I looked for it-it's gone. Is their any way to check removed craigslist ads?

Man, I when I saw the pic on ebay again, I suspected a scam. thats all.

You have to be careful. With all the fakes and counterfeits out there, there is reason for alarm. However take caution when 'exposing' someone that you don't leave yourself open to libel charges. While there may be something going on which is counter to eBay's business rules, the guitar itself is legit and the BIN price is not that farfetched.

I have to add that I saw a local Craigslist add with that same pic a week or two back, and also saw the ebay listing with the same photos.

I took it to be a Craigslist scam, if anything, not an ebay scam. I didn't really examine the ebay add, either, though. The Craiglist ad was for some ridiculously low price ($175, I just checked my outgoing mail).

WELL, This is in the listing:

Q: When can I expect my order to arrive?

A: Please do not contact me through here.Please click on the contact seller form from the listing or email me directly at: ttimkes556@aol.com because I won't be able to check ebay mail 2 weeks from now. Thank you!

ummmmm. Is he using the internet on mars where Ebay doesnt exist yet?

WELL' date=' This is in the listing:

Q: When can I expect my order to arrive?

A: Please do not contact me through here.Please click on the contact seller form from the listing or email me directly at: ttimkes556@aol.com because I won't be able to check ebay mail 2 weeks from now. Thank you!

ummmmm. Is he using the internet on mars where Ebay doesnt exist yet?[/quote']

Little Princess, that was all explained to you. I guess you weren't paying attention. The seller has over four hundred feedback and has been on E Bay for almost five years. I know Noel Gallagher's favorite underwear color is closer to your area of expertise but do explain, what other "red flags" are there about this auction? The seller wants to answer questions using an alternative email...wow, if that isn't a scam I don't know what is...and YOU obviously don't know how to recognize a scam...so, as I said...keep your pretty little head busy wondering if Noel will see you from the stage and want to spend some quality time with you and leave the important stuff to worry about to the grown ups.

As far as Craigslist...I wouldn't be a bit surprised that someone used photos and descriptions from E Bay to scam someone using Craigslist...but how does that make the E Bay auction a scam or anything to be concerned about? Wanna know a little secret? If you aren't trying to get more than you're paying for or a very extraordinary deal it's unlikely that you can be scammed. Scams happen to greedy people who usually think that they're the ones pulling the wool over someone else's eyes...or to the completely clueless...if there's a '61 Gibson Les Paul Junior advertised for $150 and you bite it's you who's the fool. The auction is legitimate and it's the clueless idiots like the Little Princess here who muddy the water with their inane input. The signs of a scam are obvious and there are none in this auction except to those who have a super hero complex and want to be the savior of the people by announcing a scam where there isn't one. Be very wary of the Craigslist sales...like where the guy says..."yeah, I have this old Les Paul and I need to make some quick money so I'lls take $500 cash for it...just meet me at the car wash out on Highway 61" and the seller (or a cohort) brings a 10mm friend and forgets to bring the guitar and you've just been robbed because your greed got the better of your senses and sensibilities...and all you have is the telephone number of a pre-paid cell phone and a web-based email address...

I think it's a nice guitar. Like Rot said, pretty good shape for a 46 year old guitar (going by my birthday, it would be 46), could be a re-ish, and the guys maybe trying to pass it off as a '61? Then again maybe the owner(s) took meticulous care of the guitar for the amount of time it's been around, who knows? I do however know if I was gonna spend what he wants for that, I'd get a new Custom instead, but that's just me.

Little Princess' date=' that was all explained to you. I guess you weren't paying attention. The seller has over four hundred feedback and has been on E Bay for almost five years. I know Noel Gallagher's favorite underwear color is closer to your area of expertise but do explain, what other "red flags" are there about this auction? The seller wants to answer questions using an alternative email...wow, if that isn't a scam I don't know what is...and YOU obviously don't know how to recognize a scam...so, as I said...keep your pretty little head busy wondering if Noel will see you from the stage and want to spend some quality time with you and leave the important stuff to worry about to the grown ups.

As far as Craigslist...I wouldn't be a bit surprised that someone used photos and descriptions from E Bay to scam someone using Craigslist...but how does that make the E Bay auction a scam or anything to be concerned about? Wanna know a little secret? If you aren't trying to get more than you're paying for or a very extraordinary deal it's unlikely that you can be scammed. Scams happen to greedy people who usually think that they're the ones pulling the wool over someone else's eyes...or to the completely clueless...if there's a '61 Gibson Les Paul Junior advertised for $150 and you bite it's you who's the fool. The auction is legitimate and it's the clueless idiots like the Little Princess here who muddy the water with their inane input. The signs of a scam are obvious and there are none in this auction except to those who have a super hero complex and want to be the savior of the people by announcing a scam where there isn't one. Be very wary of the Craigslist sales...like where the guy says..."yeah, I have this old Les Paul and I need to make some quick money so I'lls take $500 cash for it...just meet me at the car wash out on Highway 61" and the seller (or a cohort) brings a 10mm friend and forgets to bring the guitar and you've just been robbed because your greed got the better of your senses and sensibilities...and all you have is the telephone number of a pre-paid cell phone and a web-based email address...[/quote']

Noel Gallagher is 40 something. That means you must be pretty old. Im glad noel is the topic now--brought up by you!

you still like noel, and wont let it go---proof positive. Your a poor OLD senile man who is easy to stir up.LOL---VERY SAD

hahahaha- noel lingers in your head still!!!! hahahahahahaha you cant stop it!-he's in your head.

now onto the topic = red flags. period. end of discussion.

Archived