Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton Neck Woes

chwillie

I love my Sheraton, but I'm having some troubles with the neck.

It was completely fretting out on the 7th fret, so I took it to the shop. They were able to fix that, but now it frets out on the 15th fret when I bend.

I plan to take it back to the shop. But I wonder, have I got a bad neck, or is it possible that they can still correct the problem? Just thought some of you Sheraton owners might have had a similar problem?

Ch Willie

The Sheraton neck is arguably the most solid and stable neck of any Epiphone guitar. Sounds like you just have a couple of fret issues; these can pop up on any guitar. If these problems persist a full fret-leveling job may be in order.

It's hard to say more.. would be guesswork. Sounds like the fret job they did was mostly a spot level, or the like, with some crowning.

and they just didn't check all the way up.

I'd take it back and bet that if you don't find any frets that have loosened it will just take a little bit of work.. probably not even charge you since you're returning it.

It's not very serious..!

The serial number is IO5111476. Has a "Made in Korea" sticker on the back of the headstock.

That's the Saien factory in Korea. My Shearaton II was made there in 0508...(August 2005). Your date indicator

signifies 0511...(November 2005). Could be like the other guys said, maybe you need to take it back to the shop

where you bought it and have them take a look at it. You may have some high frets that need leveling and polishing

or the fret may be coming loose (With all this humidity we're having this summer anything can happen. My Sheri's fretboard had some swelling which caused the E and B strings to fret out between the 5th and 7th frets. My tech

just turned the truss rod a little to the left to add some relief and the problem went away). It's hard to say without

seeing it. But the best advice is to have a professional look at it.

I'm far away from the shop' date=' so it'll take me a while to get it back up there. I'll certainly take it back to them. I bought it in Memphis at Guitar City, but I take it to World Music in Nashville--their tech has a good reputation.[/quote']

If you think the tech guy in Nashville has a good reputation, then take it him as soon as you get a chance. I know

how frustrating it is when your want to play your guitar, but it's just not right. I'm sure you'll be glad when you do.

Best of luck!

My current Sherry is Samick made, and it has a much thicker neck than comparable/other Sheratons. At one point I had 2 others, as well. One was also a Samick and the other was SaeIn. All were very nice, but the Samick made guitars just seemed to feel better.

The funny thing was they were not as consistent between each other, which is evidenced by the very thin neck one had vs. the very thick neck I mentioned above. They still both "felt" better than the SaeIn, although I want to stress there was nothing wrong with the SaeIn either. It was actually in better condition than the other 2.

Archived