Paul Kossoff - Back Street Crawler

Earth - The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull

The Gates of Slumber - Suffer No Guilt

Led Zep = TSRTS remaster

Sun Kil Moon - April

Brian Setzer - Red, Hot, and Live

Chris Isaak - San Francisco Days

Widespread Panic - Free Somehow, various live streams

By the way, any Jimmy Herring fans? He had a great lesson in GPlayer last month, I think.

He is smokin on these WP streams I've been listening to....:-$

http://panicstream.com/vault.htm

Today I listened to the re-released "Careful Confessions" by Sara Bareilles* and a recording of Gabriel Mann at a party I was at a few months ago.

Let me explain...

Sara Bareilles won a songwriting contest way back in 2003, and part of the prize was CD duplication. She didn't have a record, though, so she went out and made one. It was released and sold on CDBaby and at shows, like all of the independent artists. In 2005, she was signed to Epic Records, and then in 2007 she released "Little Voice," which had the hit single "Love Song," which I'm sure you've heard if you've had the radio on recently.

Anyway, by the time I found out about her (through Gabriel Mann, another LA-based musician, one of her close friends, co-producer of Careful Confessions, and a friend of mine), she had already been signed, her indie record was out of print, and the major-label record hadn't been released. When it was released, I bought it. Then last week, she announced that Epic re-releasing the indie record, as a limited edition. So I ordered it immediately. It cost me $21, total, but it beats the $100+ the original release went for on eBay.

Anyway, check them both out. They're both Los Angeles-based, piano-playing musicians, with similar styles...

Side note about Gabe: He wrote songs for Arrested Development, he opened for Alanis Morisette

For me....

Johnny Winter's First album

Black Crowes - Warpaint

Paul Kossoff - Back Street Crawler

Earth - The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull

The Gates of Slumber - Suffer No Guilt

Led Zep = TSRTS remaster

Sun Kil Moon - April

Brian Setzer - Red' date=' Hot, and Live

Chris Isaak - San Francisco Days

Widespread Panic - Free Somehow, various live streams

By the way, any Jimmy Herring fans? He had a great lesson in GPlayer last month, I think.

I've been getting into some rather rare material by some recognizable names. First there's Anne Murray's "Even Canadian Girls Can Sing The Blues"...her cover of Big Mama Thorton's "Hound Dog" send shivers down my spine..and if you close your eyes you can almost smell the Southern Comfort on her breath when she does Janis' "Piece Of My Heart". It a well-kept secret but Wayne Newton did an album of early Pink Floyd covers called "Newton At The Gates Of Dawn"...when Wayne sings "Emily tries..but misunderstands" it's almost like he's channeling Syd...great stuff. Not every thing I listen to has such a hard edge. In my more mellow moments I might put on a little-known collection of Puccini and Verdi arias by Britney Spears or maybe Pia Zadora's Greatest Hit. I have a very eclectic ear so I could probably be found listening to just about anything...I've heard rumours that Yoko Ono is going to do a tribute album to classic female country western artists. I'm really looking forward to hearing her duet with Roseanne Barr of Tammy Wynette's "Stand By Your Man" and her duet with Liam Gallagher of Donny and Marie's "I'm a Little Bit Country...He's a Little Bit Rock And Roll..I'm breathless with anticipation...So much great music to experience...so little time...and then there's William Shatner's cover of the Police's "Message In A Bottle"...awesome.

I've been getting into some rather rare material by some recognizable names. First there's Anne Murray's "Even Canadian Girls Can Sing The Blues"...her cover of Big Mama Thorton's "Hound Dog" send shivers down my spine..and if you close your eyes you can almost smell the Southern Comfort on her breath when she does Janis' "Piece Of My Heart". It a well-kept secret but Wayne Newton did an album of early Pink Floyd covers called "Newton At The Gates Of Dawn"...when Wayne sings "Emily tries..but misunderstands" it's almost like he's channeling Syd...great stuff. Not every thing I listen to has such a hard edge. In my more mellow moments I might put on a little-known collection of Puccini and Verdi arias by Britney Spears or maybe Pia Zadora's Greatest Hit. I have a very eclectic ear so I could probably be found listening to just about anything...I've heard rumours that Yoko Ono is going to do a tribute album to classic female country western artists. I'm really looking forward to hearing her duet with Roseanne Barr of Tammy Wynette's "Stand By Your Man" and her duet with Liam Gallagher of Donny and Marie's "I'm a Little Bit Country...He's a Little Bit Rock And Roll..I'm breathless with anticipation...So much great music to experience...so little time...and then there's William Shatner's cover of the Police's "Message In A Bottle"...awesome.

I'm down with Anne Murray' date=' but when I break away from "You Needed Me" and David Soul's "Don't give up on us baby" (on heavy MP3 repeated rotation) I've been catching up on [i']The Westwood One[/i] Original Radio Broadcasts of The Lost Lennon Tapes...

Click and enjoy> http://littleabby.podomatic.com/

PS: I hope to high hell Pia opens for Yoko...talk about a classic double three dollar bill. :-$

Who knew??? :-s

Blodwyn Pig..."A Head Rings Out"

Jeff Beck Group..."Truth" and "Beckola"

"Supper Session Live," Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, Johnny Winter

The Beatles...White Album, Let it Be, Abby Road...and anything else they did...

The Byrds...various CD's

Jazz, Classical, and Eva Cassidy (Amazing voice).

Amy Winehouse "Back to Black"

Dusty Springfield...ANYTHING SHE DID!

etc., etc., etc.

CB

'Rockferry' by Duffy...think Amy Winehouse, minus the STDs and druggy stench.

'335 Blues' by Larry Carlton...the various tutorials available from truefire.com.

Anything by Duke Ellington...like the surrealist poet Blaise Cendrars said, "Such music is not just a new expression, but another reason for living."

'49:00' by Paul Westerberg...available for download for the cost of 0.49 USD from his AOL page/Amazon.com. Good stuff.

'Sloe Gin' by Joe Bonamassa.

That's about it. I wish there were more, but between the day job, working a new drummer into the band, paying attention to the wife, walking the dog, reading my customary 2 - 3 books a week, logging onto the Epi forum several times a day, that's all I have time for.

Rock 'n Polka - Jimmy Sturr

Rock Swings - Paul Anka

R&B Classics-We Are Family - Pat Boone

Two Sides of Leonard Nimoy - Leonard Nimoy

Glitter, Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - Mariah Carey

The Return of Bruno - Bruce Willis

I'm in the Mood for Love: The Most Romantic Melodies of All Time - Kenny G

Golden Classics - Anita Bryant

The Quiet Riot - Kathy Lee Johnson

Live at Lake Tahoe - Lawrence Welk

Widespread Panic - Free Somehow' date=' various live streams

Never heard of these guys. But seeing your list I knew I had to like it. I'm listening now.TNX! :-)

Been digging into my old cassette collection, while we redid my daughter's room last week .... dug up the Only Ones Special View and Baby's Got a Gun, old Nick Lowe stuff , Queen II, Talking Heads More Songs About Buildings and Food ..... bunch of my high school/colllege music .....all in all, it made the task at hand a lot more enjoyable - hadn't heard Only Ones in about forever

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres

Masters of Reality - Deep in the hole / Give us Barabbas / Sunrise On the Sufferbus

Johnny Cash - At San Quentin

Roy Orbison - The Very Best

Turbonegro - Apocalypse Dudes

Mark Lanegan - Bubblegum

The Cramps - Fiends of Dope Island

Black Flag - My War

Blondie - Parallel Lines

Playing in my cab this week :

Queen - Greatest Hits 1

The Jam - Setting Sons

The Ramones - Anthology

Small Faces - The Autumn Stone

John Lee Hooker - Boogie Chillen

Cream - Ultimate Cream

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The........

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

The Beatles - Please Please Me

The Beatles - Revolver

The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet

T-Bone Walker - T-Bone Blues

Elvis Presley - The Sun Sessions

The Yardbirds - Live At The BBC

Plus Various Old School House c**p if the missus is driving !!!=D>

Jimmy Herring. Heard him live 20 years ago in Macon at a local club. I think he was with Sea Level at the time (Chuck Leavell's band). Jimmy is a very precise blues player with a head for neat riffs.

I've been listening lately to Joe Bonamassa. He's a Les Paul player who borrows from Hendrix, Clapton, and SRV. It's a good sound and Joe has added his own licks to the mix.

Jars of Clay - Good Monsters

ZZ Top - the old stuff

Queen - Tie Your Mother Down

Adam hood

Justin Johnson

Caddle

Kutless

Zac Brown Band

Journey

Cheap Trick

Sister Hazel - Before the Amplifiers

3 Doors Down

and anything else that my strike my fancy from time to time...

This morning I enjoyed my morning coffee while watching the Eric Clapton One More Car One More Rider DVD that comes packaged with said cd's. I played along with my Black Strat and my Fender Blues Deluxe Amp. I honestly have not been listening too much to music lately. In the car the radio has been tuned to The Fan, a sports radio station in NY. Much of my things are packed and in boxes due to my purchase of a new home. Just waiting to close and get going now.

SVet

Archived