Gibson Brands Forums

Strings keep snapping

mushy

Hi there, newbie here, just recently bought a Dot Studio and previous to this ive had a Shearton, Les Paul and SG. The problem ive always found with Epiphones is the strings have always snapped far too easily on them therefore holding you back from giving them a right good seeing to! lol. So i just got my Dot Studio yesterday and i was fair away with the look, feel and the sound was immense but low and behold pop goes the thin E within an hour of playing. Now i know this is the most likely to go but on some of my other Epis its been the thickest string or just any random string snapping well before they should. They always snap at the bridge, is this because of the nicks left in the grooves? Whats the best way around this? File them? Buy a Gibson bridge? Lower the bridge? Not sure what guage the factory strings are? Use 10's? Any help much appreciated.

OK. The standard strings are 10's. It sounds like you have a nick or burrrrr on the bridge saddle(s)' date=' like you thought. Lightly file or sand it to remove the burr.[/quote']

ok mate, will do, cheers for that.

OK. The standard strings are 10's. It sounds like you have a nick or burrrrr on the bridge saddle(s)' date=' like you thought. Lightly file or sand it to remove the burr.[/quote']

Do you know where i can get a thin enough file for the saddles?

All I can suggest is a decent hardware store. You're looking for a small triangular file. You could try folding a piece of 240 or 360 wet'n'dry in half and trying that. That ought to do it. Run a string back and forward thru the saddle to listen for and feel for burrs.

will do, thanks a lot.

String breaking is a common problem with a new guitar. If it's breaking over at the saddle, you have a burr or sharp casting edge that needs to be smoothed. An emery board is all that is necessary to fix the problem. You can even wrap a piece of fine sandpaper around a fingernail file. Hold it at an angle so the corner of the edge fits in the slot and CAREFULLY and LIGHTLY sand the slot in the bridge saddle. All you need to do is remove a sharp edge. The bridge saddles are not very hard and it takes only a light sanding to permanently fix the problem.

cheers for that, i have to say i do like to kick the *** out of my guitar when the moment presents itself and i feel that my guitar should be able to handle that so it might need a little fine tuning. I play rock/grunge/punk. So does take a bit of a beating now and again! But have to say i used to play Indie previously with the previous Epiphones and they were still prone to string snapping!

I find that the asian take on the tune-o-matic bridge has a problem with notches on the saddles that are too deep and the wrong shape. The 'V' of the notch strangles the string and leads to tuning and breakage problems. Now, you can buy a replacement, but I've also found that it's short work to rectify the existing bridge's problems.

filedbridge.jpg

As you can see here, all I do is file the existing saddle flat until there is only the barest suggestion of the original notch left. Problem solved; looks and works just like a Gibson bridge. Now the only 'burr' you have to worry about is the one in your accent! ;)

Ha ha O:) Good yin! Good advice mate, will give that a go and see how it goes! Will resort to buying a roller bridge if still not happy!

I find that the asian take on the tune-o-matic bridge has a problem with notches on the saddles that are too deep and the wrong shape. The 'V' of the notch strangles the string and leads to tuning and breakage problems. Now' date=' you can buy a replacement, but I've also found that it's short work to rectify the existing bridge's problems.

[img']http://www.marantatech.com/Graphix/filedbridge.jpg[/img]

As you can see here, all I do is file the existing saddle flat until there is only the barest suggestion of the original notch left. Problem solved; looks and works just like a Gibson bridge. Now the only 'burr' you have to worry about is the one in your accent! ;)

Do you know where i can get a thin enough file for the saddles?

You might want to look around for something like this for future use.

http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Diamond-Needle-File-Set/dp/B000FOIILY/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1216743553&sr=8-3

There are places that sell sets for $100+, but these will serve the purpose if you are not doing daily work.

You might want to look around for something like this for future use.

http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Diamond-Needle-File-Set/dp/B000FOIILY/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1216743553&sr=8-3

There are places that sell sets for $100+' date=' but these will serve the purpose if you are not doing daily work.

[/quote']

Although this set is cheap enough. I bought this exact set from a Cummins tool sale. I planned to do some nut work with them to see if I could handle it. I got busy and parted with $35.00 to have the local guit tar shop do the work.

I'll go you one cheaper. I bought a package of 4 diamond flat files for filing nails for fingerpicking. Bought them at a dollar store for ... well... a dollar. They're in the 'Health and Beauty aisle. Might be 3 for a buck now what with the price of everything going up.

Although this set is cheap enough. I bought this exact set from a Cummins tool sale. I planned to do some nut work with them to see if I could handle it. I got busy and parted with $35.00 to have the local guit tar shop do the work.

I'll go you one cheaper. I bought a package of 4 diamond flat files for filing nails for fingerpicking. Bought them at a dollar store for ... well... a dollar. They're in the 'Health and Beauty aisle. Might be 3 for a buck now what with the price of everything going up.

I always thought folding a piece of wet/dry emery paper over the broken string was the best way to file/sand any burrs off the saddle or nut, because it was based on the exact thickness of the string in question rather than "the thinnest file I could find. Plus, the only expense is the emery paper, and I keep it around for other things anyway. And it bends.

Archived