Gibson Brands Forums

Distortion pedals

Are distortion/overdrive pedals meant to be used on SS amps?

The reason I ask is that I have experimented with a couple distortion pedals on a 15w ss amp and it really didn't sound very good. I tried on a clean channel and it just sounded real fizzy and thin. I tried it with the onboard distortion on the amp and didn't get too much out of it. Overall it sounded like crap. Then soon after my amp died. I don't know if that caused it or if it was just a bad cheap amp.

I also got to experiment with a g-dec jr and a daddy-o pedal. On clean channels it was also really fizzy and thin but when I tried it with the British combo/tweed/hot rod overdriven models it sounded better and boosted the distortion sound a bit but nothing monumental. Just by adjusting the gain and tone on those amp models, I was able to get similar tones from the amp itself without the pedal, so i wonder how useful it really is.

I assume that the best application of a dist/overdrive pedal is to get a little more boost to an overdriven tube amp?

Are distortion/overdrive pedals meant to be used on SS amps?

Either SS or tube.

The reason I ask is that I have experimented with a couple distortion pedals on a 15w ss amp and it really didn't sound very good.

Not all dirt boxes sound very good, and not all SS amps sound very good.

I don't know if that caused it or if it was just a bad cheap amp.

Perhaps, the reason the amp didn't sound very good was because it was heading south?

Overall, if you're using a SS amp and want to use pedals for dirt, it's probably best to audition them through the clean setting on the amp. You certainly don't want to be boosting the input signal to the point of clipping with a SS amp, as you would with a tube amp.

Just by adjusting the gain and tone on those amp models, I was able to get similar tones from the amp itself without the pedal, so i wonder how useful it really is.

Not really sure what the point of using dirt boxes in front of a modeling amp would be.

I assume that the best application of a dist/overdrive pedal is to get a little more boost to an overdriven tube amp?

You really can't make assumptions when discussing something as purely subjective as tone analysis. One person's tone heaven is another's pure crap, and visa versa. Just find what works for YOU.

Either SS or tube.

Not all dirt boxes sound very good' date=' and not all SS amps sound very good.

Perhaps, the reason the amp didn't sound very good was because it was heading south?

Overall, if you're using a SS amp and want to use pedals for dirt, it's probably best to audition them through the clean setting on the amp. You certainly don't want to be boosting the input signal to the point of clipping with a SS amp, as you would with a tube amp.

Not really sure what the point of using dirt boxes in front of a modeling amp would be.

You really can't make assumptions when discussing something as purely subjective as tone analysis. One person's tone heaven is another's pure crap, and visa versa. Just find what works for YOU. [/quote']

Thanks for the reply.

A couple of followup questions.

Well, I was using a MXR Distortion+ on the clean channel of a cheap 15w Crate gtd15 and it just sounded real fizzy. Probably due to the cheap amp since the MXR pedal should be good quality or this particular amp and pedal just don't go together really well?

I tried a Danelectro Daddy-o in front of a g-dec jr since that was the only amp available to me since the Crate died. I think the g-dec jr doesn't really have a "clean" channel, just a clean/acoustic model. So trying the daddy-o infront of the clean model is not the same as a regular clean SS channel, and maybe that's why it sounds like a mosquito farting? Playing a pedal infront of a modeling amp like the g-dec jr is useless since the models are not really meant to take pedals?

Don't play the daddy-o infront of an overdriven amp model on the g-dec jr because it could kill the amp?

I understand the subjective nature of tone but what I am experiencing sounds more like something is wrong or I am not using the equipment correctly because it just doesn't sound like what proper distortion should sound like. Again really fizzy and thin, not a very guitar like sound at all.

Not sure I'm making any sense in my ramble but let me know if you need any clarification and thanks for any help.

Well, I was using a MXR Distortion+ on the clean channel of a cheap 15w Crate gtd15 and it just sounded real fizzy.

I'm not personally a fan of either, though many seem to like the pedal in front of an overdriven tube amp.

So trying the daddy-o infront of the clean model is not the same as a regular clean SS channel, and maybe that's why it sounds like a mosquito farting?

One would assume that a clean setting on a modeler would be the "same" as clean on any other amp. I would suspect that the issue has to do with amp eq.

Playing a pedal infront of a modeling amp like the g-dec jr is useless since the models are not really meant to take pedals?

I didn't mean to suggest that it was pointless to try a pedal in front of a modeler. I just don't see the use myself, seeing as how modelers are supposed to be able to recreate amps and pedals.

Don't play the daddy-o infront of an overdriven amp model on the g-dec jr because it could kill the amp?

A 9v pedal can't kill any amp, except those which are on the verge of falling apart on their own. A $30 Arion distortion or a $300 clean boost can destroy either a $100 or $10,000 tube amp if the tube amp is on the verge of collapse. The thing about using pedals in front of a SS amp is that you don't want to clip the input, because it's very harsh and ugly.

I understand the subjective nature of tone but what I am experiencing sounds more like something is wrong or I am not using the equipment correctly because it just doesn't sound like what proper distortion should sound like.

You're going guitar ->pedal ->amp input, right? Sometimes, pedals don't do well in amp effects loops. Then again, maybe in this case, the effects loop is where you want that pedal. There really aren't many hard, fast rules here.

You're going guitar ->pedal ->amp input' date=' right? Sometimes, pedals don't do well in amp effects loops. Then again, maybe in this case, the effects loop is where you want that pedal. There really aren't many hard, fast rules here. [/quote']

Everything has been hooked up correctly. Not sure what the deal is. I need to find someone with a good setup and see how it is supposed to sound. Maybe it's my ear that's broken? lol Oh well, thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

I have several Dano pedals and a Bad Monkey and every amp I have seems to like a different pedal.

My SS Peavey only likes one, a Dano Pastrami, the Dano Fab Metal sounds like total absolutely

unuseable FIZZ. Turning down the tone knobs help. I really prefer a clean preamp boost into the

front of a tube amp.

I'll make a personal observation, but bare in mind I know little about pedals. Due to my lack of knowledge, I went the all-in-one variety with a Digitech RP350. When I bought it all I have was a Vox AD30VT, sounded ok, but I think all the presets on the amp made it difficult to get a real nice sound. When I got the Vjr it was like opening up a whole new world and I got a lot more out of it.

Archived