Gibson Brands Forums

Tuners

BBill

you should be able to, I'd guess.. and it's a guess.

the shaft wont be too big and I'd bet the bushing will fit right in..

the only thing off will be the screw holes on the back.. your new ones have two, top and bottom?

grovers have only one, bottom.

I may be wrong, but I'm gonna say yes. I put a set of Grover Deluxe Greens on my Dot. They dropped right in, but I did need to drill 12 small holes in the back of the headstock for the the screws, no big deal. I'm not sure, I think Grover makes the Gibson tuners, just has the Gibson name on them. Again, I may be wrong.

I've tried Grover and Shaller replacement tuners and really haven't found one that I thought was precision in the long run. They all get loose screws and a certain amount of play after a while. It's a little aggravating to have to keep tightening the peg screws when you change strings. You'd think someone would make a tuner that you can install and forget.

The Keystone-style tuners don't have those tension adjustment screws. Usually, if the screws are coming loose all the time, it means that you aren't tightening them enough. I know it's a fiddly thing to get that sweet spot where the knobs aren't a bear to turn but the screws stay tight, but it can be done.

I've not had any problems at all with any Grovers, and I've used about every type they have.

If your back side screws are loose.. a small bit of toothpick and a less than a drop of elmers will hold them.. it's just the wood is

worn too much if they get loose.

Some bushings pop in, some screw in.. screw in tightens the assembly much better, but a push in bushing should fit tight and then it will hold just fine.

The button screws shouldn't be too tight.. this just puts pressure on all it's washers and on the cog and screw shaft of the tuning mechanism itself.. so you have to adjust to a minimum tension, not maximum in order to ensure the tuner doesn't wear out early.

You shouldn't have to adjust anything on a set of Grovers just changing strings..

Archived