Gibson Brands Forums

GFS SD wiring

timmyinpajamas

i thought i understood but now i received the pick ups and

gfs wiring diagram says green is hot

sd wiring diagram says black is hot

which one should i make hot ?

also the gfs doesnt show where to solder the bare wire .. but it goes ontop of the pot with the ground correct ?

thanks for everyones input

Green is hot' date=' black and bare is ground.

Red and white are twisted together right?[/quote']

so make the green hot ? red and white is twisted together yes ..

i dont understand why sd and gfs say differnt stuff .. but gfs says you can use sd wiring diagram

sd says green is ground

and gfs says green is hot .. why .. lol

well so i just took off the panel and looked at the back and it looks REALLy confusing .. so i may chicken out and use the cheat method .. my studio has a white hot wire and a bare ground .. so would i just hook up the bare with the bare and ground from gfs and hook the gfs hot to the epiphone white sorry if im not making it really clear

go for it the cheat method ? or go for it solder it tim you lazy bastard .. lolz

The latter. Seriously, I don't know **** about electronics but it's not a BFD to solder

in a couple of new pickups. I did it twice recently, on a semi-hollow no less, and it

was a piece of cake. It is nice if you have another pair of hands to help hold things

in place.

Edit: Actually, I did it 3 times because I put back the stock pickups prior to shipping

the guitar to Epi for warranty replacement.

Unfortunately, there's no standard for colour coding among pickup manufacturers. Seymour Duncan uses one standard, and GFS apparently uses another, as does DiMarzio. Seymour Duncan's method makes a lot of sense though, since it is typical in electronics for black to be 'hot' and green to be 'ground'; I'd guess that Seymour put a lot of thought into his colour assignments. Gibson is extra confusing since they use the red and black wires for the output and solder the green and white wires together (I think this is the same for DiMarzio but I'd have to check). You basically have to follow the instructions as given by the specific manufacturer for your pickups. So, you can use the SD wiring diagrams with GFS pickups by simply keeping in mind that black is green and green is black.

However.

At the risk of causing even more confusion, in reality, the black versus green issue is irrelevant as long as you are consistent with your pickups. For example, I can switch the green and the black on a pair of Seymour Duncans as long as I do it the same way for both pickups. Otherwise I'll end up with one pickup out of phase with the other, which will give unexpected results in the center selector position.

At the risk of causing even more confusion' date=' in reality, the black versus green issue is irrelevant [i']as long as you are consistent with your pickups. For example, I can switch the green and the black on a pair of Seymour Duncans as long as I do it the same way for both pickups. Otherwise I'll end up with one pickup out of phase with the other, which will give unexpected results in the center selector position.

So it seems to be the same as stereo speaker wiring - as long as they're both the same,

it's OK, right?

So it seems to be the same as stereo speaker wiring - as long as they're both the same' date='

it's OK, right?[/quote']

Precisely. It's just a good idea to stick to the standards whenever possible so that the next poor bugger that works on the gear doesn't get hopelessly confused... :-k

Archived