Gibson Brands Forums

They're 'fading' fast...

RotcanX

Went to order another Gibson Les Paul Standard faded this week and tried to get one in tobacco burst... nuh-uh, they only have them in honeyburst now. I guess it's only a matter of a short time until they're all gone and the Canadian distributor will be all out. It's too bad as that was an excellent guitar and very affordable.

Went to order another Gibson Les Paul Standard faded this week and tried to get one in tobacco burst... nuh-uh' date=' they only have them in honeyburst now. I guess it's only a matter of a short time until they're all gone and the Canadian distributor will be all out. It's too bad as that was an excellent guitar and very affordable.[/quote']

I noticed no new ones coming in for a couple of months now. And the ones that sell over here are never up for a discount...

Yeah well I think the attitude is that since it's a only a matter of time until they are unavailable, it's a seller's market. If customer A doesn't want to pay the full price then too bad; customer B will not be long in coming. Everyone that comes into the store just drools over this thing. Of the six original models (three colours, two necks) there is only one option left (honeyburst with '50s neck)... and who knows how many are left in Toronto. It's really too bad as it's a fantastic guitar... I've entertained thoughts of ditching my Elitist and getting one... for a few seconds. =D>

I already have an LP, but I've been thinking of an SG faded as a platform to mount a Bigsby Palm Pedal on (my initial impulse was to use my Sheraton II, but I think it's destined for a Bigsby tremolo).

I hope they don't discontinue the model before I score a PP.

AFAIK the SG Special faded is still in production. I'm just speculating, but I believe they discontinued the LP Standard faded because no one was buying them at the original price, which at the time was only a couple of hundred bucks less than the properly-finished LP Standard. So I think they discontinued the faded model and slashed the price (by about $500) to get rid of the inventory. The Canadian distributor just happens to have a few of them left.

Archived