Gibson Brands Forums

Help with Bigsby on Epi Dot

twiggy

Big question to all those who put bigsby on their archtop ones. As i read everywhere around epiphones just love to have end pin off center. So is mine. Choise is between B7 and B70 obviously. So my end pin is off center by 4-5mm. I don't really mind the price difference. Could someone with the same problem tell me, are there any chances I wouldn't need to redrill end pin with b7? or if I need to redrill it, is it better to put b70 as it requires only two holes around old one (and on on other side). I'd really love to get original one, just the amount of holes bothers me most. Is it safe to drill three new holes around old one without damaging guitar.

Hopefully you understood my problem and will be able to help me in making this decission.

Cheers

The procedure would be to drill out the old end pin hole a bit oversize (say 1/8") and glue in a length of dowel. Let it all set (give it a day) and then re-drill as required for the Bigsby. Once the Bigsby is installed no-one wil be the wiser.

I chose the B7 and I liked the way it installed. I was able to secure it with the end pin, once I relocated it. The obong cutout helped greatly in that regard. I also like the appearance of the B7, the more rounded (worn sandcast) look. I would expect the quality to be a little better but that may not be. My primary reason was that I thought it would go on a little easier.

Not being any kind of Bigsby afficionado, I'm afraid I can't give you any advice re the B70 versus the B7. Obviously there's a financial angle as the 70 is a lot cheaper. However I'm sure that there are other members with enough experience using Bigsbys to tell you of the pros and cons of each.

Thanks for answers. As more information i'll get as easier will be to make a choise. And if someone will try to answer my question, please base your opinion between B7 and B70 not on the price (personally I don't really care much about it), but on the number of holes i'll need to drill around old one, cause I'm not sure if it is safe and won't wood crack by any chance. Thanks.

One more hole should not make a difference. You are drilling into a block of wood. Use the right size drill bit and drill straight. Then use wax/paraffin (not the kerosene the Brits call paraffin)/bar soap to lubricate the screws and there should be no concern.

The five points of security on the B7 should be firmer than the three on the B-70 although the two screws on top should eliminate the risk of twisting and breaking the flap as sometimes happens on the B3.

I put a B70 on my Dot, and I use it a lot. It is as firm as any of my other tremelos. I got mine off Ebay for about $85 plus shipping. I also installed a roller bridge. I have NO problems keeping it in tune. I'm thinking about doing the same to my Sheraton.

Just do what RotcanX said about the end pin. Use a string to line it up like on the Youtube video. The hardest part of the installation for me was putting on the strings. I had never put strings on a Bigbsy before. I lost a few hairs over that one. Since then there have been several good ideas shared about putting on strings.

Twiggy, here's another suggestion for you to use to relocate the strap pin. Take that string and tape it behind the center of the headstock so that you can run it over the top through the center. Take some more masking tape and put it across the fingerboard in one or two places. Mark the center of the fingerboard so that you have 2 or three reference points. Then run the string the length of the guitar. It should fall between the pole pieces for the 3rd and 4th strings and between the bridge saddles for them as well. Then keeping your string straight run it over the end of the guitar to show you the center line. If you have a carpenter's line handy you can snap it but then you have to get the chalk off the guitar. Anyway, that's what I did. You could just use the pickups and bridge as a reference point but when I drilled in my guitar, I wanted as many reference points as possible. I've had to redrill too many holes (not in guitars).

Oh sorry. Haven't seen it before [-X Well somehow I'd like to stick with the B7 as it's the most common on Dot or 335 guitars. Anyway it's so confusing. Went to one of the guitar shops to check how they look live next to each other, and instead of that got even more confused as shop owner said he actually prefers a look of B70 against the original B7 as the licenced one is better made for his eyes. Obviously he haven't got any of them in the shop for a live comparison. That thing is driving me mad as I want it badly and love guitar too much to put on something not the highest quality and look.

Oh sorry. Haven't seen it before [-X That thing is driving me mad as I want it badly and love guitar too much to put on something not the highest quality and look.

If you are willing to spend the extra to get the very best in a Bigsby then why a normal Epi dot?

Well, I can't afford Gibson (yet), and when I was buying my Epi Dot, I've tried Sheraton too, but they're not coming in cherry (are they?) (which was particular colour I wanted my first archtop to be). then got to try Epi Super Dot, which was complete misunderstanding as it was set really bad and had lot of different 'disabilities' as disappearing sound on pickup switching etc. When I tried my stock Dot, I heard what I was expecting that day and that's how I made my choise (which is unquestionable lol).

p.s. I'm getting my hands on it in meaning of mods soon. Starting with Bigsby (which is best visual element, and biggest pain in the arse to choose), I've already changed knobs (another big visual element). There's a locking roller bridge coming to support bigsby tuning issues. If it won't help locking groovers are in my mind as well. And next month Gibson '57 Classics will be settled to make this guitar sing even more (I've done mistake while buying my epi, asked to try Gibson es 335 on the same amp... Still can hear that tone in my heart)

So any other questions? [-X

Archived