Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul Refurbs any Good?

mozahlee

I've noticed online that the Epi Les Paul Plain Top

Standards are always available as Refurbished guitars from

big retail stores...Why is this? I notice it a lot.

Are these Refurbs any good? They never say exactly what has

been "refurbished" on them...Musicians Friend has a whole slew

of them

Any Ideas?

Well, it's going to vary. However, usually a refurb is just a 'returned' guitar that can no longer be sold as 'new'. You get bozos returning stuff at MF for all kinds of harebrained reasons... like thinking there's something wrong with the guitar because both pickups go silent if you turn down either volume control to zero. Also I bet there's a lot of instances where the buyer decides he'd rather have the flame top and does a trade up.

I've had great luck with their refurbs. Awhile back somebody on the forum bought a refurb dot for $225 and noticed the pickups were different. We was worried that he's been snookered so he sent in a picture and as it turned out they'd replaced the (presumably) deficient Epi pickups with a set of Gibson P-94s! I'll take that deal all day long.

The way I've been able to decifer MFs codes are as follows: A 'blem' is merely a guitar somebody returned for whatever reason. A 'B-stock' is one with verifiable scratches & dents. A 'refurb' was one that had something wrong with it (bad hardware, for instance) that has been fixed. Almost all blems & refurbs have the full warranty.

oh o.k, i see...

All Blems and even reuglar guitars have the Full Warranty,

unless you make a mod to the guitar though, right?

Hmm, maybe i'll get a Refurb, i was just hesistant because i've

seen a lot of them like that and thought maybe there was a

big problem with that particular model.

I'd say a 'blem' and a 'B-stock' are just two different ways of saying the same thing. You're right about the refurbs although sometimes a refurb may sometimes just be something someone returned even though there's nothing really wrong with it.

Archived