Gibson Brands Forums

I've been thinking about putting these on my AlleyKat

JefferySmith

not a feedback issue, believe it or not actives are WAY better at resisting feedback then higher output passives.

To be honest, I just think it'd be a bit different for the style.

Actives aren't as responsive to the guitar body's natural tone, I've heard.

So You're basically wanting a les paul ultra minus the quilt maple top and putting in active pups?

Hmmph.

Ya' think I might have a feedback issue? The AlleyKat is such a small semihollow' date=' I almost think of it as a lighter weight Les Paul with F holes.[/quote']

Well, and it seems to be "across purposes," IMHO. I can see those on solid body

guitars, but the more subtle tones, of a "thin line" doesn't seem to need/want

"Active" pickups? I don't know...just (personally) never even entertained that

idea. Might be just fine?? If you had a solid body you could put them in, if they

didn't work in the Alleykat, and you have burning desire to "try it," then...why not?!

CB

Ya' think I might have a feedback issue? The AlleyKat is such a small semihollow' date=' I almost think of it as a lighter weight Les Paul with F holes.[/quote']

Feedback shouldn't be too much if an issue if it's around 2 1/2 inches thick and a tone block, but

the active p_ups are hot and require a 9 volt battery. Fine for a LP because you can modify the

control cavity access cover to accomodate a battery holder, but on a AlleyKat, you have to think

of where the battery is going to go to be accessible to change it.

The other thing is that they are going to change the sound of the guitar to resemble more of a

solid body. Most AlleyKat (see Harmony Central, electric guitars. pickups) changed to Duncan Mini

humbuckers ( SM-1, SM-2, SM-3), and SH-5 bridge or a Seth Lover in the bridge.

The SH-5 is described as a "PAF on steroids".

Everything is still passive and less modifications to your guitar..but as they say

the guitar is the guitar player's canvas, and you can certainly come up with an

Alleykat that may be unique.

Jeff;

I have the same alleykay, and to be honest, I love the sound.

I actually LIKE the fact that the pickups are low output. It picks up more uf the guitars natural resonance. I LOVE that blues sound from the stock pickups.(I Can't believe I actually said I like epi pickups,yikes!). But in this particular setup, I think they sound great for low power sounds.

If I had an AlleyKat ....I'd put a GFS alinco mini in the neck and either a vintage 59 or a mean 90 in the bridge. Active pups on that guitar are a bit of a mismatch IMHO.

Yeah, but just liek every flying V doesn't have to be a shredder (just as albert king), every semi-hollow doesn't have to be vintage-y.

If I had an AlleyKat ....I'd put a GFS alinco mini in the neck and either a vintage 59 or a mean 90 in the bridge. Active pups on that guitar are a bit of a mismatch IMHO.

Not only a mismatch on most archtops, but they have so much o/p that they can overdrive

your amp's input into distortion like ceramics. Fine for the heavy metal guys, they like it that way

and even install something called "afterburners" to boost it some more...into

those stacked Marshalls or some custom stomp board to manage the sounds.

But on an archtop, you want cleaner blues, jazz or whatever sounds good for your

style of music.

Yeah' date=' but just liek every flying V doesn't have to be a shredder (just as albert king), every semi-hollow doesn't have to be vintage-y.[/quote']

Agreed. it's fine to experiment, but at the same time, you don't want to invest a lot

of money into experimenting with something that may not be exactly what you were hoping for.

If you could take your AlleyKat or any semi-hollow for that matter, into a pickup boutique and

plug in a set of actives EMG 81/85 or even passives and try them out, that would

be ideal, but if you can't do that, you might either be severely disappointed (and

out a couple hundred bucks), or somewhat surprised.

Why do LPs have a that characteristic sound with BBs? Gary Moore used some

active p_ups on his custom LP (TJMax actives, I believe) or something similar to EMGs

and it sounds good with lots of sustain.

Jeff;

I have the same alleykay' date=' and to be honest, I love the sound.

I actually LIKE the fact that the pickups are low output. It picks up more uf the guitars natural resonance. I LOVE that blues sound from the stock pickups.(I Can't believe I actually said I like epi pickups,yikes!). But in this particular setup, I think they sound great for low power sounds.[/quote']

You hit the nail on the head re: the low output. I've been playing it through a small, 10W amp and an even smaller Yamaha teeny little box amp. I do have a bigger Line6 amp upstairs. Lemme try it through that (and maybe some headphones).

One thing I hadn't thought of. I have assumed that the battery on these active pups is located in the line leading from the guitar to the amp (like it is on microphones). Is that the case, or does it fit inside the guitar? If the latter is true, there's no way I'd carve a hole in the back of the AlleyKat to put a 9v battery in!

it's inside. you MIGHT be able to squeeze it into the f hold, but good luck trying to change the battery. You could just velcro it to the inside of the body, but you would need to remove a pickup whenever you wanted to change the battery.

Now the good news: With EMG's if you keep the guitar unplugged when not playing, will not drain the battery. With a good battery, you should not have to change it more than once a year, or longer depending on how much you play. So removing a pickup once a year ain't so bad.

Try playing through a more powerful amp, preferably a tube one. You WILL love it. Now, play the blues.

One thing I hadn't thought of. I have assumed that the battery on these active pups is located in the line leading from the guitar to the amp (like it is on microphones). Is that the case' date=' or does it fit inside the guitar? If the latter is true, there's no way I'd carve a hole in the back of the AlleyKat to put a 9v battery in![/quote']

If you look at the EMG website, there's an FAQ on active p_ups. It has to be located

somewheres inside the guitar or you can have two wires coming out of the f-hole

and attach it to your belt or something. The main issue with any p_ups that are

active is the battery drain and a way to shut the battery off. That is accomodated

through a stereo style jack that switches the battery on when you plug in the cord.

Leave the cord plugged in and your battery will drain in a matter of hours (maybe

days) but it will drain whether you use it or not. I have an LR Baggs piezo on

my custom made LP (avatar) that has a preamp for the peizo bridge and is powered

by a 9volt, that is switched on through the jack. Not a problem for a solid body or

a guitar with an access plate, but as you said, there is no way I would ever consider

cutting a hole on the back of an archtop for a 9 volt battery.

Agreed. it's fine to experiment' date=' but at the same time, you don't want to invest a lot

of money into experimenting with something that may not be exactly what you were hoping for.

If you could take your AlleyKat or any semi-hollow for that matter, into a pickup boutique and

plug in a set of actives EMG 81/85 or even passives and try them out, that would

be ideal, but if you can't do that, you might either be severely disappointed (and

out a couple hundred bucks), or somewhat surprised.

Why do LPs have a that characteristic sound with BBs? Gary Moore used some

active p_ups on his custom LP (TJMax actives, I believe) or something similar to EMGs

and it sounds good with lots of sustain. [/quote']

Well, so long as he has another solidbody(or 300 for a good epi one new or used) to put 'em in afterwards, he's fine to experiment.

You hit the nail on the head re: the low output. I've been playing it through a small' date=' 10W amp and an even smaller Yamaha teeny little box amp. I do have a bigger Line6 amp upstairs. Lemme try it through that (and maybe some headphones).

One thing I hadn't thought of. I have assumed that the battery on these active pups is located in the line leading from the guitar to the amp (like it is on microphones). Is that the case, or does it fit inside the guitar? If the latter is true, there's no way I'd carve a hole in the back of the AlleyKat to put a 9v battery in![/quote']

Do you even have a nice tube amp?

Archived