Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton or Wildkat? Got the WildKat! My review.

captmidnight

Got the WildKat about 2:30 this afternoon...since the wife didn't fuss to much I took her out to dinner..lol

Anyway on with the review...finish and fit on the WK is very good, nice binding all along the F holes and the body, then running up the neck.

The neck tho the same width as my LP seems not as chunky and very playable. Unplugged it sounds a bit louder than my LP and maybe along the lines of a Dot. The action is nice and low but has a very slight fret buzz on the low E, think that is because of these damn elixir strings and it needing the frets cleaned/polished.

Now if I can figure out why they put 3 volume knobs and only one tone knob...lol Tone doesn't do much, but by changing the pick ups and playing with the Master volume knob and then the two pick up volume knobs can get about any sound you want out of this thing. Middle position has a nice warm almost humbucker sound (that you can adjust a bit more by playing with the bridge and neck volume controls), bridge has some nice bright almost twangy sounds, and the neck can get snappy as well if you get aggressive with your picking...these P-90s aren't as loud as I thought they would be..more vintage sounding.

The Bigsby works great, stays in tune just fine if you don't get to carried away and will make you want to get into some surf music really quick8-[

For some reason "can't you see" just jumped out of this thing right away...lol

So over all, except for a good cleaning, this little WildKat is very nice and plays like a dream. I like the smaller body size, it is almost the same as my les paul.

Now where was that tread about how to wedge a Bigsby when you are re-stringing them? 'Cause I am gonna need it till I get the guitar cleaned and the frets polished a bit! :-

Capt

faq_stringing.gif

Re-Stringing the Bigsby Vibrato

1. Crimp the string at a 45 o angle next to the ball end (A).

2. Feed the string underneath, around and over the axle (B).

3. Place the ball end of the string onto the axle pin ©, keeping tension on the string to hold the ball in place.

4. Push a foam wedge (D) into the space under the axle to keep the string in place on the pin while winding.

5. Wind the string onto the tuning machine, tune to pitch and remove the foam wedge.

6. Repeat for each string.

Nice score Capt!

Welcome to the P90 club :-)

I like the looks of the Kat and I am a P90 fan' date=' so of course, you post gave me more GAS

BTW, where in Florida are you located? I'm in Ft. Pierce.

Notes[/quote']

Hey Notes,

I was in Orlando till 2 months ago and have moved back up to the Panhandle after 3 years down in Mouse town..lol, now I'm kinda in between Pensacola and Panama City Beach...about 30 miles north of Destin FL. I grew up around here...and glad to be back home!

Thanks Just Strum,

I knew it was there somewhere=d> This young kid (about 20) said he had put these elixir strings on a couple months ago...but they feel ruff, almost rusty. He said they were the coated kind and should be good for a while...if they are I don't like em one bit. Besides the ruff feeling these strings feel ...hmmmm..almost stiff for a like of words I guess.

Capt

<...snip...>

I was in Orlando till 2 months ago and have moved back up to the Panhandle after 3 years down in Mouse town..lol' date=' now I'm kinda in between Pensacola and Panama City Beach...about 30 miles north of Destin FL. I grew up around here...and glad to be back home!<...>[/quote']

I played a gig in Fort Walton Beach many years ago (when Destin was still pretty small). It's a beautiful part of the state (but too cold in the winter for me). I liked the white sand beaches and the huge sand dunes.

I grew up near Fort Lauderdale, and moved to Ft. Pierce when Ft.L got too crowded for me. Now Ft.P is growing to large, but if I move any further north, I'll get to the part of Florida that has occasional frost - too cold. Ft.P is the northernmost part of FL that still supports tropical vegetation.

Notes

Nice one! Turquoise and silver' date=' hmmm. That guitar looks to have enough mojo that you danced in a circle while you sing and play the old Temptation's song "I Wish It Would Rain" it would probably rain somewhere over Florida within less than 48 hours.

Boy, went out on a limb with that statement.

Florida' date=' it probably rains every 2 hours somewhere.

My town? Hell, 48 hours would be a drought this time of year(it's raining right now).[/quote']

Where are you ianmitchell? right now here in the panhandle a 48 hour no rain and yeap...drought LOL

Not complaining tho, 1st year in about 8 that we aren't in a real drought.

Capt

faq_stringing.gif

Re-Stringing the Bigsby Vibrato

1. Crimp the string at a 45 o angle next to the ball end (A).

2. Feed the string underneath' date=' around and over the axle (:-k.

3. Place the ball end of the string onto the axle pin ©, keeping tension on the string to hold the ball in place.

4. Push a foam wedge (D) into the space under the axle to keep the string in place on the pin while winding.

5. Wind the string onto the tuning machine, tune to pitch and remove the foam wedge.

6. Repeat for each string.[/quote']

I never tried that but wish I there had been a group years ago. I finally figured out back when I had my 68 335 just take needle nose pliars and bend the curve on the ball end then just keep tension on the string while winding. Took me a few times and a lot of swearing to change the strings on that one until I figured it out. Now days I have no problems.

Archived