Gibson Brands Forums

How make your guitar sound better

Mr. E

i really want an acoustic guitar and i'm thinking of getting a solid top epi (maybe) or any other guitar solid top.

i really want a spruce top or a cedar, but acoustic guitars are way different than electrics. you cant do much to make them sound better. i'm wondering if i get a epi acoustic and change the saddle, nut, and bridge pins will that make it sound awesome.

Someone help me out.

it will be better but the awesomeness is determined from the guitar shape structure body and body material .. u need 2 find an acoustic you like (sound and playability) ... and then do all the bone nut saddle and bridge pins to get a slightly better sound .. so get something you already like and then make it a lil better

it will be better but the awesomeness is determined from the guitar shape structure body and body material .. u need 2 find an acoustic you like (sound and playability) ... and then do all the bone nut saddle and bridge pins to get a slightly better sound .. so get something you already like and then make it a lil better

thats the hard part, get something i really like and make it better... i really cant find something i really like. i want a grand concert body, but i cant find one at my price range($300 or less). i've tried other guitars, but the ones that sound good are to expensive for my budget, they are like $500 or above. Guitarcenter doesnt help, i think there are better music store out there way better than guitarcenter. the guitarcenter i go to is the only music shop in town so thats why they get so much customers, but they dont have much, just the same models in different colors and they dont even setup the guitars right so that makes it a huge problem...

there are a couple of pretty good decent guitars for your 300 price range .. but at that price range you cannot be to picky .. the guitar i would recommend for you are

epiphone dove or hummingbird

yamaha fg700s or fg730s

seagull s6

takamine gs330 or gs340

and adding all that stuff your talking about is extra money .. u might as well buy an epiphone masterbilt .. you can get an aj500m or dr500m or ef500m for 450.00 and they all come equipped with bone nut and saddle .. its worth it to shell out extra hundred or two .. if your guitarcenter does not have these guitars in stock they are able to order it for you .. good luck

I guess I would ask why you assume you will have to roll a bunch of parts to get an awesome sounding guitar. About the only thing that I have ever done to any acoustic that had a significant effect was to change the string guage and put on a nice set of 18:1 ratio tuners. I do tend to get rid of plastic pins cuz once I let a guitar sit a bit too long and the suckers splayed out. I had to go in and cut the ends off to remove them.

Like others here, i suggest you go out and play as many guitars that are in your price range as you can. You just might find one that screams take me home.

Good Luck

If you want "bling" as WELL as good sound and good price, I recommend the EJ200....it's not only pleasing to the eye, but also well made, great "bark" and a great price!!! (Also gives you that big body size).

I've been playing for over fourty years and was a staunch Yamaha owner/player for almost all of those years, (except for a disappointing Taylor purchase a couple of years ago), but I have to say that Epiphone has been doing a remarkably terrific job with its acoustics, (and there electrics, for that matter), and they are worth seriously considering (no, I don't work for them).

-Soupy1957

there are a couple of pretty good decent guitars for your 300 price range .. but at that price range you cannot be to picky .. the guitar i would recommend for you are

epiphone dove or hummingbird

yamaha fg700s or fg730s

seagull s6

takamine gs330 or gs340

and adding all that stuff your talking about is extra money .. u might as well buy an epiphone masterbilt .. you can get an aj500m or dr500m or ef500m for 450.00 and they all come equipped with bone nut and saddle .. its worth it to shell out extra hundred or two .. if your guitarcenter does not have these guitars in stock they are able to order it for you .. good luck

I'm thinking of the takamine and the seagull...

i really dont want dreadnought, but the seagull likes tempting (tusq nut and saddle, cedar top, laquer finish, headstock type, etc.)

as for the takamine (i've tried some and they sound good), good option too, but what kind of saddle and nut do they use?

I owned a Seagulle S6. They sound amazing. Are really great guitars for the money (IMO anyway). I sold it and bought a hummingbird (which I also love) just because the neck was a bit too wide for me and the hummingbird's neck is a bit thinner. They do make the S6 in a "slim" version with a narrower neck (FYI). Good Luck and let us know what you end up with.

I owned a Seagulle S6. They sound amazing. Are really great guitars for the money (IMO anyway). I sold it and bought a hummingbird (which I also love) just because the neck was a bit too wide for me and the hummingbird's neck is a bit thinner. They do make the S6 in a "slim" version with a narrower neck (FYI). Good Luck and let us know what you end up with.

i may go with the seagull entourage, it sounds good from what i've heard, but if not maybe a masterbilt (although it will take a looong time because of my budget)

Archived