Gibson Brands Forums

Which pedal for blues and warm overdrive on epi valve junior

Hey,

All dependent on tommorrow i may walk awy with a epi valve junior head so was asking which pedal to get blues tone and a nice crunch at low volumes? For playing blues and have a nice crunch when up louder for bit heavier distortion?

I have a boss DS-1 but have read this wont give a great result unless cranked up.

Will i be best with a blues overdrive pedal or a tube screamer or an overdrive pedal similar to the boss one?

Thanks

You can build any number of solid OD pedals very easily, if you can handle a soldering iron, but if you're not interested, the Digitech Bad Monkey seems to get very strong reviews. It's a tube screamer with active tone control, from what I understand.

Other contenders in a similar price range are the MXR ZW-44, the Boss SD-1 (those two are nearly the same circuit), a Boss BD-2, Marshall Bluesbreaker (don't know that they still make this), and, of course, the tube screamers. There are about 137,934 variations of that tube screamer circuit, sold under about 115,000 different manufacturer names, ranging in price anywhere from $40 to $1200. It's entirely likely that it's the most copied dirt circuit around.

You can build any number of solid OD pedals very easily' date=' if you can handle a soldering iron, but if you're not interested, the Digitech Bad Monkey seems to get very strong reviews. It's a tube screamer with active tone control, from what I understand.

Other contenders in a similar price range are the MXR ZW-44, the Boss SD-1 (those two are nearly the same circuit), a Boss BD-2, Marshall Bluesbreaker (don't know that they still make this), and, of course, the tube screamers. There are about 137,934 variations of that tube screamer circuit, sold under about 115,000 different manufacturer names, ranging in price anywhere from $40 to $1200. It's entirely likely that it's the most copied dirt circuit around. [/quote']

I have a Bad Monkey, and I'd say, try before you buy. It's a good pedal, but you better like mids. Definitely Tubescreamer territory, but

much better value for the money. I run mine with the bass and treble maxed. I'm not a big fan of the Tubescreamer circuit, but then

I've never really liked, overdrive/distortion pedal, tones. Still looking for one I like, but if you like the boosted mid sound of Euro amps,

it just might be the pedal for you.

Boss BD-2 (Keeley modded) gives a creamy blues at lower volumes w/VJr. It's not as distorted as tube screamers to my ears (I tested an Ibanez TS-9 but don't own one).

VJr. needs that EL84 output tube HOT to give good blues tone. My stock V3 has Tung-Sol 12AX7/ECC803S and JJ EL 84 so it's 'cleaner' than with stock tubes and needs to be at 1-3+ o-clock on the dial. Adjust audible volume levels with your pedal & guitar volume controls. Pound the front-end with gain to taste to add crunch.

I like the BD-2 with compressor for ZZ & Skynyrd type grit (or is that grits down there?) and these can give a mean 'hollow' sounding clean with a touch of reverb and just the right settings.

All the advice anyone can give you will still leave you wondering??? Tone is so subjective and so dependant upon EVERYTHING in your signal chain (fingertips to speakers + room you play in, etc., etc.) you really have to experiment to find what you like/need. Sound clips are iffy..., they're trying to sell you product. Best to try out the pedals you think you are interested in with VJr. and cab anyway you can (local music store, friends).

BTW -- a suggested read is Obed's post on "ending the pedal dance - a tube amp tone tip"

If you try out those suggestions with Vjr. and your guitar you may have what you need w/o the expense of a pedal.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

BTW -- a suggested read is Obed's post on "ending the pedal dance - a tube amp tone tip"

If you try out those suggestions with Vjr. and your guitar you may have what you need w/o the expense of a pedal.

Hey steven, that thread doesn't exist anymore. Recently, the admin deleted a lot of threads, and that was one of them, so someone might have to repost it.

And it only works if you have an already distorted amp. If you have a clean, and no overdrive, then it's not gonna work. Unless you get a pedal that somewhat responds like a tube amp, then you would be able to use this technique.

snip...... Unless you get a pedal that somewhat responds like a tube amp' date=' then you would be able to use this technique.

[/quote']

I have to put in a plug for the Behringer vintage tube overdrive pedal (VT911). It uses a 12AX7 - which some people believe is only for show - its not.** Out of the box it sucks because of the limited usefullness of the gain and tone knobs, but with the Bitmo mod (~$14), its works fantastic with blackface-type clean amps, as well as my VJr. Its basically like adding a tube preamp stage to the amp. You get the same responsiveness to string picks. Now my 'clean' Tele can smoke like my DOT.

**The reason I know this is because you really notice a difference after it warms up. Takes about 10 minutes for the 12Vdc to get that tube warm enough.

If you can play at levels that use the el-84's natural break up....just a little clean boost in front may be just the ticket and there are a ton of clean boost pedals out there...some guys even do it with just an EQ pedal. Distortion pedals take you out of blues territory and into classic rock (nothing wrong with it,but it's not what I think of as a "blues tone").

I saw this thread and jumped on Ebay and bough the Behringer Monster Tube pedal. I then ordered the Bitmo mod for it and 2 Tung Sol tubes (one for the VJ and and for the pedal). Short of reverb I can't think of anything else I would need. I love my RP350 but I'm anxious to hear what a tube pedal and tub amp are going to sound like. I also have the Bitmo Trio ready to install on the VJ.

Archived