Gibson Brands Forums

How to really spot a counterfeit Epiphone

Jerrymac - thanks for the thumbs up

but' date=' I actually did it because I really wanted that Gibson LP so to me the Epiphone is a bit of fakery of sorts.[/quote']

Since Les Paul did endorse the Epiphone LPs, I would say it's as legit as a Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman. It's more legit IMO than the original SGs that bore Les Paul's name until he asked that it be removed. I got my first LP in the early '70s, a Goldtop Deluxe, had a Custom in the late '70s, and this '70s Deluxe I refurbished a few years ago:

LP-D.jpg

Someone had spray painted it black glitter, and did a real piss poor job of it. I originally put P-90s on it, but then decided to go with vintage Bill Lawrence mini humbuckers. But I digress. I've also owned a few Epiphone LPs throughout the years, and they pretty much hold their own especially if you do some upgrading. A set of good pickups that fit your style, a quality bridge and tailpiece (Gotoh will do nicely).

I understand the desire to own a genuine Gibson, and I hope that when you get it, it's everything you hope for. But don't be surprised if you eventually realize that it really wasn't worth the money and that you're old Epi Phoney was just fine. The way to truly impress people is with your playing, not the name on the headstock.

Good luck, and play the hell out of that Epi...

Hi everyone.

First I'd like to thank you guys' date='and gals out there who have shared some useful information thought I'd put my two cents in as I've noticed that a lot of people seem to be posting on the subject of counterfeit guitars and plenty of those questions seem to be coming from people looking to buy from an auction on Ebay.

I too have had run ins with these counterfeit guitars and decided the best thing to do is to look into this situation a bit further which led me to the web site of what I figure is one of that largest sellers of these counterfeit guitars in fact I suspect this web site to actually be run right out of the factory in which produces not only Epiphones but Gibson and just about any brand of guitar you would like to have.

I confronted this seller and told him I knew the pictures he had in his site were not legitimate ,and he gladly supplied me with the photos of the real guitar I wanted to buy since investigating this situation I have fount there are plenty of actual photos to be seen that are of what you would get if you ordered from this fellow located in China,my best advice is this go to Bizaar of China and become acquainted with their offerings look into the acoustic versions of the Epiphones that there pawning off as the real thing and notice how Epiphone is spelled and placed on the head stock.

And go to youtube there are plenty of people from the UK who own knock offs of Gibson and Epiphone guitars,I'm not sure how many make it into the US but I'm sure there's been more than a few I've gotten mixed information on them but for the most part I think the only thing that I've read is their lacking in the pickup department,I'm not promoting these peole I'm saying that first of all right down to the protective plastic covering over the pickups on these guitars screams counterfeit.

These people have done their homework but one thing that I've noticed about them in general is they will do mixed variations of their guitars like putting trapazoid inlays on the neck of a counterfeit copy of a EJ-200 and subtle differences in the bridge inlays to the same make,they go as far as to print the name Epiphone on the shipping box spelled(Epiphune)if you look close enough.

And even though there are a lot of different variations of different models of Epiphone guitars there is one thing that seems a safe bet if in doubt call Gibson they can get to the bottom of the question if the seller will provide serial numbers call and find out if its real or not,as for counterfeit guitars and the problem with them in my own opinion don't believe this is ever going to be stopped now Bizaar of China does on the other hand seem to be one of the last places that you can actually buy a $3000.00,or $4000.00 guitar from for only $400.00+ minus the case which cost extra.

And one last point to be made is this wouldn't be more of a sure thing if you went and played an instrument in person before purchasing how do you even know its fits,and feels right?

But I do suggest stopping by Bizaar of China to look and their pretty electricity guitars they guarantee each one of their bags are of the highest quality=d>

[/quote']

mr. six string, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!!!

(Ich bin ein berliner? I am a jelly donut?)

• 11 years later...