Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Give on Epiphones

mozahlee

Just had a discussion with a Fender Entusiast at my work. I hate Fenders.

Anyway, He said Epiphones have a lot of Give at the neck for being set

neck guitars. You know, where if you lean on the body and hit a chord, it'll

warp a bit. Anyone notice this?

I've definitely noticed it with the bolt on Fenders, so he's full of it. But i've

always thought a little slight give is normal.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just had a discussion with a Fender Entusiast at my work. I hate Fenders.

Anyway' date=' He said Epiphones have a lot of Give at the neck for being set

neck guitars. You know, where if you lean on the body and hit a chord, it'll

warp a bit. Anyone notice this?

I've definitely noticed it with the bolt on Fenders, so he's full of it. But i've

always thought a little slight give is normal.[/quote']

Auugggh! Forgive me for not trying it on one of my guitars.

If you "LEAN on the body, and hit a chord" ANY guitar will do that! LOL!!

As to "hating Fenders," well...if that's your thing? But, personally, I don't

know many real players, that don't have at least 1 Strat, and/or 1 Tele,

in their collection. Different sound, not better or worse, just different!

But, "Horses for Courses!"

CB

Well, mahogany is a bit less rigid than rock maple, so it's possible that Epis and Gibsons will experience more 'flex' than a Fender. However the Fender necks are also longer so some of that gets cancelled out. And anyway... what was his point? The flexibility of a mahogany neck doesn't seem to have stopped anybody from doing great things with these guitars over the past 60 years.

HATE is a strong word, I mean i dislike most Fender Tones, or

maybe i just hate hearing how GREAT Fender is day by day from my

co-worker and that it's the ONLY brand worth anything. His point was

that there's just too much Give in the Epi necks and that you'd never

get that from a Fender.

I just thought i'd get an AMEN from y'all that, yeah, there's give

in ANY guitar not just Epiphones and it doesn't necessarily mean that the

guitar isn't a good solid guitar.

maybe i just hate hearing how GREAT Fender is day by day from my

co-worker and that it's the ONLY brand worth anything. His point was

that there's just too much Give in the Epi necks and that you'd never

get that from a Fender.

Spoken like a true Fender racist. Your buddy is being concerned about something that nobody else gives a **** about. The bottom line is that a Fender is a Fender and a Gibson is a Gibson. They both have fantastic models and each is capable of doing things the other can't. In the end analysis' date=' it's silly to argue why one might be better than the other; they're just [i']different[/i] approaches to the same problem; each has its strengths and weaknesses and in all honesty any good guitarist should have at least one of each.

The guys I usually play with mostly have Telecasters so I usually bring along some kind of SG or Les Paul just to make sure we don't all sound the same. If I was playing with a bunch of guys all toting Les Pauls then I'd probably do the opposite and drag along a Strat.

Yeah, and i'm not trying to be a Gibson/Epi racist here, I

just think it's a silly assumption because, ALL guitars have

some give.

I played a Fender MIM Telecaster once in the store, had some

o.k. tones but the neck attachment just went way out of wack

whenever i put a tad pressure on the body while strumming

a cord. Sure it's happened with some Epi's i've tried like the

LP100's or the SG310's but You can also say the same thing

with the Squiers.

Yeah' date=' and i'm not trying to be a Gibson/Epi racist here, I

just think it's a silly assumption because, ALL guitars have

some give.

I played a Fender MIM Telecaster once in the store, had some

with the Squiers.

[/quote']

Didn't Lonnie Mack get some "vibrato" from his Gibson Flying V in "Memphis" by shaking the crap out of the guitar?

I played a Fender MIM Telecaster once in the store' date=' had some

with the Squiers.

[/quote']

Wouldnt the LP100 and G-310 have less neck give than a set neck epi due to the bolt-on construction and shorter necks?

I hate Fenders.

This is somewhat off topic, but I currently hate Fender, the brand. I have no problem with their guitars, but they just stopped dealing their guitars to my favorite local store. Only the big stores, like guitar center, can deal fender. Fender was one of their most best selling brands and fender came in as a jerk and told them they were done. I really hope that my store doesn't go out of buisiness, because fender was a large part of their buisiness. I will avoid (stupid gas) buying any new fender products again.

Sorry about my rant, I'm pissed.

Go play a Fender Jaguar HH Special (Crafted in Japan) - then you may want to revise your statement.

+1 on the jag

Played an american SS jag, man that was a dream.

Why do I have to fall in love with a fender model that not only costs 1500 bucks but also lack a squier counterpart?!?

You're not buying it for them. You're buying it for you. Don't deprive yourself because you dislike them. Deprive yourself if you don't like what they offer. They don't know you' date=' so don't take offense.[/quote']

They're just really nice people in the store and they give me good deals and great service, so I'd like them to be supported with what they sell, and fender was a main source of buisiness.

Nice threadjack. bravo.

Thanks?

This is somewhat off topic' date=' but I currently hate Fender, the brand. I have no problem with their guitars, but they just stopped dealing their guitars to my favorite local store. Only the big stores, like guitar center, can deal fender. Fender was one of their most best selling brands and fender came in as a jerk and told them they were done. I really hope that my store doesn't go out of buisiness, because fender was a large part of their buisiness. I will avoid (stupid gas) buying any new fender products again.

Sorry about my rant, I'm pissed.[/quote']

My guitar store only sells fender because fender won't let them sell unless 40% of the income comes from fender products.

There's not a gibson/epi shop around.

It's either CL, pawnshops or online.

Oh, and the store doesn't even have any awesome fenders. It's all thinline teles and mexi strats and crap...

+1 on the jag

Played an american SS jag' date=' man that was a dream.

Why do I have to fall in love with a fender model that not only costs 1500 bucks but also lack a squier counterpart?!?[/quote']

Isn't there a Squire Jag-Stang? And the HH cost me less than $900 (made in Mexico).

-sigh- I myself used to be prejudice against Fender because of all the hype. I bought one. I love it.

I even bought a Fender princeton chorus amp' date=' and i play with Fender Medium picks

Fender.[/quote']

I have always thought they were assembly-line tools that all looked exactly the same. Interchangeable parts. But I cannot discount their impact on the music world.

If you "LEAN on the body' date=' and hit a chord" ANY guitar will do that! LOL!!

As to "hating Fenders," well...if that's your thing? But, personally, I don't

know many real players, that don't have at least 1 Strat, and/or 1 Tele,

in their collection. Different sound, not better or worse, just different!

But, "Horses for Courses!"

CB[/quote']

Hi Charlie,

Although I agree with you that "Different sound, not better or worse, just different!" I also agree with the original poster in that I hate Fenders, and I could never work out why George (H.) loved them. I think that 'Nowhere Man' and all of his solo work would have sounded just as good or better with something else.

As to "real players" who own "at least 1 Strat, and/or 1 Tele", I don't subscribe to the "real players" description/argument. Anyone who produces a great sound (judged to be great by anyone else) is a "real player" in my opinion.

P.S. Despite what I say above, the sound of the 'Somewhere In England' album, and in particular 'Life Itself' sounds Fender to me, but a lot of that is processed so that it sounds at odds with all of George's other work and sounds almost like a Les Paul to me.

GVDV

Well' date=' mahogany is a bit less rigid than rock maple, so it's possible that Epis and Gibsons will experience more 'flex' than a Fender. However the Fender necks are also longer so some of that gets cancelled out. And anyway... what was his [i']point[/i]? The flexibility of a mahogany neck doesn't seem to have stopped anybody from doing great things with these guitars over the past 60 years.

Couldn't have said it better myself Spud ! I completely agree.

Archived