Gibson Brands Forums

Got my new G-1275 today :-)

sixstring19682

Well I got the Epi G-1275 double neck in today finally a guitar with a warranty,but I have already found something on it that bugs me though I don't believe its major may just be a flaw in the finish I have decided one way or the other the pickups have to go right away,think I'll be looking for 500K pots as well anyone have any ideas on the pots?

Figure I'll hit Stew Mac for those though I found an entire set wired for a Les Paul with grounding plate and bumble bee caps don't know if that would work for my situation as these double necks have three selector switches.

I want to post some pics but need to find the thread or someone to tell how this works,got another crapy dark image of this guitar in my avitar.

Congratulations and welcome to the G-1275 family!

The pre-wired sets won't work, because the G-1275 is wired differently. The top two volume and tone control the 12-string neck, the bottom pots control the 6-string. There is a wiring diagram for the Gibson EDS-1275 on the Gibson website. This diagram differs from the Epi in that the EDS has one pickup selector switch for both necks, and the Epi has one for each.

A pickup upgrade will pay benefits, I have a set of Gibson 490R/498T pickups in the 6-string side. The 12-string is still stock...I want to replace them, but other purchases keep coming along. I have to buy some p.a. components that take precedent over the 1275.

Have fun! And don't hang it off your shoulder for longer than a half-hour at a time. Seriously...

Thanks Funkwire and recycled rocker,I'm sort of in the same frame of mind need a new amp found one I'm planing to get I need more preamp the old Carvin has done alright for the time being but I'm looking into a boutique 120 head if its as good as they let on it should sound like a 5150.

Need to lower the action a bit on the six string neck but I have to get my table out and check the neck relief first hope to get some pics posted here in a little while.

SS1968:

Congrats on the Doubleneck.

I bought mine back in March and since then I've made a number of mods.

G1275-2cropped.jpg

I've stripped out the stock pups on the 6-string side and replaced them with a '57 Classic+ in the bridge and a Burstbucker 1 in the neck. That made a real improvement in the sound of the guitar and was well worth the money IMO. I also replaced the stock volume and tone pots with 500k CTS pots. The OEM pots on my guitar were already 500k, so not a big improvment there and probably one you can do without.

Both the 6 and 12 necks have lovely low action and play very easily with intonation being quite good. The 6-string's rosewood fingerboard suffered the same emory board roughness that I've noticed on a lot of Epiphones, but a couple of applications of Fret Doctor took care of that and also darkened up the fretboard nicely

The biggest issue I've had so far is that neither the 6 or 12-string necks sustains very well. Its hard to describe, but notes--especially bent ones, seem to decay rapidly as if there are dead spots on the neck. I recently had a Tone Pros locking bridge installed on the 6-string side, which seemed to be a minor improvment to overall playability, without doing anything for the sustain issue.

I'm becoming resigned to the idea that the lack of sustain is not fix-able and may be more a component of my guitar's poor quality wood and construction, rather than a hardware replacement issue.

Having owned a Gibson version years ago, I can say that the Epi covers most of the bases and give a close approximation of the EDS-1275 sound. But as with most Epiphone's, don't expect miracles even with modifications.

Good luck with your new guitar!

Rob

Are they making these with set necks these days? I played one at a pawn shop a few years ago and it had as bolt on neck. That was the only thing that kept me from buying it.

Well @ $800 for an Epi it had better be a set neck!

I have a 1998 1275

I put 490r/490t on the 12 string and burstbucker pros on the 6. I also had the pu's wired with a phase switch. There is a bigsby on the 6 string side.

This is truly 12 pounds of tone.

Good luck with it and your upgrades. It takes a little getting used to to play the 1275. It IS heavy and different to play

Oh no I really wouldn't want bolt ons this one is a set necks,just got the case today that I bought from Ebay Epi won't fit so I'm batting 100% for bunk purchases this month,as for the guitar its self well all smiles are off as I suspect I'll have to return it from whence it came the flaw I mentioned is a crack in the finish that spans between the fifteenth and sixteenth frets this is not good new as I know what comes next.

I've mentioned this problem and opened a thread on the subject of the set necks coming unglued I just don't understand it I've owned two other G-1275's that were used and both were showing signs of stress at the tenon joints,I own a Gibson Les Paul and no problems with it and I own an Epiphone EJ-200,I would figure the acoustic would do this but I've had nothing but bad luck with these set neck on the G-1275's..?

I'd have to say Layboomo if your playing it bolt on and only payed $400.00 for it it was a deal I can;t talk anyone down and it really about playing and having a good time,and doing what feels good.

I'm happy for the most part other than fearing a larger problem down the road with this set neck style.

I mean I've not even filled out the warranty card for it.

In your opinion as I really need some advice what would you do here I've gotten in contact with the place I bought it from,the crack in the finish has'nt gone behind the neck but as I've stated I've had them that have actually started to separate.

I've contacted Gibson about this as well any feed back from you guy on the subject is welcome.

I'd have to say Layboomo if your playing it bolt on and only payed $400.00 for it it was a deal I can;t talk anyone down and it really about playing and having a good time' date='and doing what feels good.

I'm happy for the most part other than fearing a larger problem down the road with this set neck style.

I mean I've not even filled out the warranty card for it.

In your opinion as I really need some advice what would you do here I've gotten in contact with the place I bought it from,the crack in the finish has'nt gone behind the neck but as I've stated I've had them that have actually started to separate.

I've contacted Gibson about this as well any feed back from you guy on the subject is welcome.[/quote']

You misunderstood my comment....it was $400 per neck that I was talking about. The set neck version is the only one I would buy FWIW.

Yea I'm in a quandry over this situation' date='I've heard bad things about the bolt ons myself,say you know anything about how to post pics I've got some nice guitars and wanted to post some bigger photos of them.[/quote']

Yup open a free account on photobucket and then click in the picture icon(hill with the sun)...and link to your pictures.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n342/sixstring1968/010101011508010201200807126eb7bc261.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n342/sixstring1968/PICT0088-1.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n342/sixstring1968/PICT0061-1-1.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n342/sixstring1968/010101011508010201200807126eb7bc261.jpg O.K.I hope this works out I can't seem to figure out whats going on with the direct links here but one of the pictures here is of a cherry finish G-1275 this is what I'm hoping to avoid with the alpine white colored guitar I have I have pics of the place where this crack is in the finish but its hard to see thanks to my crapy camera I'll upload the best of the pictures of the area as soon as I post this to see if it works or not.

Archived