Gibson Brands Forums

Strange sound

Well, I just got a new Roland 20x to play my Epiphone through but something a little strange is going on. When I change chords, I can hear a slight but noticeable click or pop as my fingers hit the strings. If I tap the strings lightly, I can hear it click or pop. I don't remember that kind of noise happening on my previous amp. Is the amp just that sensitive or could something be wrong?

Sounds very much like a grounding issue. This is a new amp? Plug it in somewhere else in your house' date=' or possibly some other building. Maybe back at the music store you bought it from.

[/quote']

Yes, it is new. I did notice it only had a 2 prong power plug rather than 3 prong. I will try it on another outlet when I get back home. Thanks.

So only 2 prong means a shock hazard?

Not necessarily. It probably has a polarized plug which has one blade wider than the other. That way it can only be plugged into the socket one way, thus keeping you safe. The grounding plug on an amp helps prevent ground loops from forming that can cause hum problems - and possibly the pops you're hearing. By touching the strings, you do create a ground path.

Polarized plugs don't do anything to protect you from shock. Both hots are hot. There is no polarity, since it's alternating current.

In all likelihood, this amp has an internal isolating transformer that separates you from the incoming voltage, thereby preventing you from becoming a ground and getting yourself fried. It wouldn't receive a UL certification if it were leaving you vulnerable to becoming the ground on incoming 120 AC.

I'd email Roland and describe what you're experiencing, and see what they say. They wouldn't be selling an unsafe, non-UL approved amp.

This is the response I got from Roland.

This sounds like it may be related to a grounding issue, which can be quite common actually. Your guitar's pickups, cables, power source, electronic appliances, florescent lighting etc. can all play a role in ground noise.

Most of the time, it's related to the pickups/wiring in the guitar. You can try switching cables, or using a different guitar. You may also want to move your setup to a different room or location.

It most likely isn't a problem with the amp.

Any thoughts?

"polarized" plugs have nothing to do with polarity as in DC circuits. Households are supplied by a 3-wire 240 VAC two-phase power with the middle of the 3 wires grounded and the opposite wires are 180 degrees out of phase providing two seperate 120VAC circuits - but 240VAC side to side to power 240VAC dryers dishwashers etc. The neutral wire in a 2 and 3 wire household circuit is very much tied to ground (back at the circuit breaker panel) and you can touch it and not get shocked. (provided your house is wired properly). You can verify this with a voltmeter. Polarizing the plugs just guarantees that the 'hot' blade always goes to the on/off switch inside the appliance - otherwise it could enter via the 'neutral' wire and thus make the appliance very much alive.

I realize this makes no sense since its 'alternating voltage' and thus 'alternating current', but that's only a simplification of what's really going on. Its all relative my dear Watson.

This is the response I got from Roland.

This sounds like it may be related to a grounding issue' date=' which can be quite common actually. Your guitar's pickups, cables, power source, electronic appliances, florescent lighting etc. can all play a role in ground noise.

Most of the time, it's related to the pickups/wiring in the guitar. You can try switching cables, or using a different guitar. You may also want to move your setup to a different room or location.

It most likely isn't a problem with the amp.

Any thoughts?[/quote']

Well, I have no other guitar to switch to so scratch one. There is only one room I can practice in, scratch two. If switching cables or outlets doesn't work, I guess I will need to return and try another amp?

If you purchased it locally, take it back and check it there. If it still has the problem - there's something wrong with the amp. If it doesn't, then maybe buy something else instead? Since you only have one room you can practice in, doesn't leave you much choice.

Thanks. I bought from MF so it should be easy enough to return it. I'm looking at other amps in that price range and I think I will try something else.

I think either something is wrong with the amp or the amp doesn't like the way my house is wired or something. My previous Crate 15w amp didn't have that problem and I tried someone elses Gdec jr in the same room and no problem. The Roland definitely makes noises and has a 2 prong plug while the other amps had 3 prong plugs. Don't know if that is really the issue or not.

Archived