Gibson Brands Forums

Strange Epi LP find....you decide..Mutt or pure bred

vincolo1

I picked up an Epi Les Paul Studio from a guy who knew nothing of taking care of guitars. Screws all rusted, dirty, dusty neglected. For $50 I relieved him of this just hoping that the quality of the name alone would enable it to be resurrected to again become a soulful member of the music community. So $170 later for a setup, new strings, new screws, new pickup surrounds, output jack, Fret dressing and general TLC, its back. Serial checks out as a June 2000 model of course out of the orient. Here is where the funny part comes in.

I am looking at the Studio on epiphone.com and trying to find an Epi with the same appointments as mine but cannot so if anyone ownes or knows if the appointments on mine are genuine or not please speak up.

Pickups: 57CH(G) and HOTCH(G) pickups

tuners: Mint Keystone vintage tuners

Epiphone logo: reflective foil lettering not single color style.

All other stuff is normal such as bridges, knobs and etc. all hardware is chrome except for the tuners.

Anyway, not knowing the history of what happened to this guitar since 2000, does anyone know if the mid 2000 models came this way? I know these things can be changed / upgraded / downgraded so I am just looking for some confirmation if I can get it.

thanks

I picked up an Epi Les Paul Studio from a guy who knew nothing of taking care of guitars. Screws all rusted' date=' dirty, dusty neglected. For $50 I relieved him of this just hoping that the quality of the name alone would enable it to be resurrected to again become a soulful member of the music community. So $170 later for a setup, new strings, new screws, new pickup surrounds, output jack, Fret dressing and general TLC, its back. Serial checks out as a June 2000 model of course out of the orient. Here is where the funny part comes in.

I am looking at the Studio on epiphone.com and trying to find an Epi with the same appointments as mine but cannot so if anyone ownes or knows if the appointments on mine are genuine or not please speak up.

Pickups: 57CH(G) and HOTCH(G) pickups

tuners: Mint Keystone vintage tuners

Epiphone logo: reflective foil lettering not single color style.

All other stuff is normal such as bridges, knobs and etc. all hardware is chrome except for the tuners.

Anyway, not knowing the history of what happened to this guitar since 2000, does anyone know if the mid 2000 models came this way? I know these things can be changed / upgraded / downgraded so I am just looking for some confirmation if I can get it.

thanks

[/quote']

The older studios had a thinner body and trapezoid fret markers like jfalkens. The current line is more like the original Gibby Studios, thicker body & dots.

Here's my 2000 Epi Les Paul Studio. It also came with the green "vintage style" tuners' date=' but I replaced them with Grovers.

Does yours look like this?

[/quote']

Yap, it sure does....just black...I like yours better tho..!

Well I guess case solved. Thank you all, it does sound like mine is authentic at least from the looks and the descriptions, thinner body, heavier rolled edges. I sure love the way it sounds.

Archived