Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MaxRadin

Reverb Pedal?

Any recommendations for a good reverb pedal to run thru a tube amp?

marshall RF-1 Reflector. people round here seem to like em. im one of them...

Thanks, I've been reading about that one and the sound clips on musiciansfriend sound good. I've got a Marshall Guv'nor and am quite happy with that. I liked the sound of the EH Holy Grail but it seems quite a few reviews mention the EH units crapping out.

Wow, reading the reviews, 9 out of 10 had major problems within hours of use. Wound up returning it. How has your experience been with them?

Wow' date=' reading the reviews, 9 out of 10 had major problems within hours of use. Wound up returning it. How has your experience been with them?[/quote']

Had the pedal for about 9 months now....never any problems.Built like a tank.

I twiddled knobs till I found a reverb sound I like and sounds natural to me and I've kept it set there ever since. Every time the amp is turned on the pedal is on.

Having a 9v wall wart is a must, though. 5 hours is about the most life you can get out of a battery in it.

Having a 9v wall wart is a must' date=' though. 5 hours is about the most life you can get out of a battery in it.[/quote']

that would make tons of sense as to why everybody thought they were having problems with their unit. i had another pedal that 'broke' after only using it a day. came to find out it wasn't very tolerant of any voltage drop, which is what eventually happens when a 9V drains. using the wallwart i've had zero problems since.

Had the pedal for about 9 months now....never any problems.Built like a tank.

I twiddled knobs till I found a reverb sound I like and sounds natural to me and I've kept it set there ever since. Every time the amp is turned on the pedal is on.

Having a 9v wall wart is a must' date=' though. 5 hours is about the most life you can get out of a battery in it.[/quote']

+1 mine has never given me an ounce of trouble, however I never even bothered to hookup a battery...

Any recommendations for a good reverb pedal to run thru a tube amp?

I use to run an Alessis Midiverb rack unit through my non reverb amp, which worked pretty good, but got tired of dragging around the rack case...had other stuff in it too. Decided to go the samller pedal route and ended up getting the E-H Holy Grail. For my needs it works great. Been using it for over a year an half with no issues....watch me jinks myself now.

I don't use batteries and it stays with the amp...not on my board in other words. One thing I did notice with the Grail is it doesn't like to share power with other pedals....gets a hiss to it. I plug the pedal by it self to the power supply that came with it and got rid of the noise.....very quiet. Since it stays with the amp this is no big deal for me, but I guess it might be for some one that wants to mount it on their board and doesn't use batteries like myself. Haven't a clue of how it acts with batteries.

When I was shopping for one I did a side by side with the Holy Grail, line6, digitech and the Boss RV-5. They all sounded pretty good to me...remember having a tough time choosing. Went with the Holy Grail just cause of the price I got for a new one.

The reverb can get a bit over the top and pretty splattery(?spelling) if you dial in to much. Then again so did the others I though, and I don't use that much verb anyhow. Actually for a while prefferred using a delay with a quick slap back instead.

FWIW...I run mine trough a non reverb tube amp.

BTW...here is a MF's link to digitechs new reverb pedal. Haven't seen one yet, I belive they just came out, but have read pretty good reviews from folks that have tried them. I think they're kind of pricey though.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Hardwire-Series-RV7-Reverb-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=500142

Wow that sounds like really low life span. Was that with unplugging the cables from it when not in use?

I know it sounds odd, but most of the pedals I've owned burned through 9v if you leave them plugged in (even switched off) but not if you unplug them.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Wow that sounds like really low life span. Was that with unplugging the cables from it when not in use?

I know it sounds odd' date=' but most of the pedals I've owned burned through 9v if you leave them plugged in (even switched off) but not if you unplug them.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Yeah, 5 hours, and I unplug it when it not in use. I have a Marshall ED-1 that only gets about 8 hours on a battery. Must be a Marshall thing.

Another option is the old Zoom 505. You still have to deal with the wall wart because a 9v will barely last 4-5 hours. It offers 9 room and 9 hall reverbs ( plus a metric buttload of other FX). But for the price of $25-35 it's not a bad little toy. You just have to sit down and tweak it. The acoustic sim. isn't bad at all. I've had mine for almost 14 years and it still works properly. The Zoom noise reduction is handy also. I, too, suffer from GAS but I try to make sure that I've gotten everything out of a piece of gear that it can possibly deliver. In other words, think outside of the box. Hope this helps.