Gibson Brands Forums

Gold Top 56 owners

Emilyguitar15

I've had mine for about 8 months. Best guitar in my fleet. I had a Standard and traded up to the Ultra I. Another really fine guitar.

I haven't seen another 56 Goldtop at the local dealer since I got mine. Guess I got lucky.

I've had mine for about 8 months. Best guitar in my fleet. I had a Standard and traded up to the Ultra I. Another really fine guitar.

I haven't seen another 56 Goldtop at the local dealer since I got mine. Guess I got lucky.

You did get lucky. I've had mine for about 7 months now, great axe for the money although I couldn't install a pickup probably because how the factory made the guitar. Nice tone, good action could be as good as a gibson.

I've had mine since March. It's OK.

KIDDING! I LOVE it! I changed the strings on it last night and fell in lust all over again. Plays like a dream and chimes like a bell. The best deal I've ever gotten (gently used with Lindy Fralin P-90s and a hard shell case for under $500).

Hows your axe? Mines great.

P1040196.jpg?t=1217449779

I'm glad you posted this pic. I have always thought that the goldtops looked cheap (like a guitar painted with gold spraypaint) but have never seen one live. Your photo shows that the surface of the finish is actually glossy, which makes it look 100% better.

Hows your axe? Mines great.

P1040196.jpg?t=1217449779

Same thing my bandmate has and he favors it over his Gibson LP with HB which is good because I play 335s and SGs with this band and there is no tone overlap. Him Vox AC30 me Fender Twin, Dual, or my Traynor.

They are good guitars with probably some of the best stock pickups in a non elite Epi, But they aren't great guitars by any means...lets just keep it real. The ones I've played have ALL needed fret work and the electronics are just OK to be honest. Good building blocks for sure,but lets just keep it real.

They are good guitars with probably some of the best stock pickups in a non elite Epi' date=' But they aren't great guitars by any means...lets just keep it real. The ones I've played have ALL needed fret work and the electronics are just OK to be honest. Good building blocks for sure,but lets just keep it real.[/quote']

The difference between the '56 GT and the '57 GT Elitist is HUGE. Not just sound because of the pup difference but the build quality and virtually every aspect of the guitar top to bottom...as one would expect.

My '56 sounded fine for what it was but I love the Elitist.

The difference between the '56 GT and the '57 GT Elitist is HUGE. Not just sound because of the pup difference but the build quality and virtually every aspect of the guitar top to bottom...as one would expect.

My '56 sounded fine for what it was but I love the Elitist.

Exactly!

You can get one if you really wanted too!!! :-k

57LP_03.jpg

I know it's a '57 Ri' date=' but it's very sweet. =D> [/quote']

Ha....if I had 4 grand lying around. (I typically look at Musician's Friend as the source for leftie guitars.)

It makes me wonder whether or not some pup changes might get me close to that Goldtop sound. (Otherwise? No...I'm not going to spend 4 grand on a guitar. I'd have to put it in a safe, and I probably wouldn't get to play it much..)

:-k

I really love mine. I didn't have anything to do to mine when I got it except to lower the action. The intonation was dead on. I may eventually change pickups, the neck is a little muddy, but nothing like any of the Epi humbuckers I have. The neck on thing thing is super, no touch ups needed on any of ther frets.

Only a couple of mods so far: Grover Vintage Green Keystone tuners, gold speed knobs, and pointers.

LesPaulGoldtop.jpg

mmmm mmm' date=' I love those Goldtops guys! The P90 PU is just one of my favorites! I just love that case too Emily! Here are some pictures of my R6 GT:

[img']http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x263/svetkt88/Guitars/gold4.jpg?t=1217469917[/img]

gold2.jpg?t=1217469943

gold3.jpg?t=1217469963

gold5.jpg?t=1217469989

Picture048.jpg?t=1217470045

Whoa... a real gibson of my epi version. The case is a gator case i bought for 110 bucks, I figured would look pretty with my gold top. Nice guitars ya got there too =D>

I really love mine. I didn't have anything to do to mine when I got it except to lower the action. The intonation was dead on. I may eventually change pickups' date=' the neck is a little muddy, but nothing like any of the Epi humbuckers I have. The neck on thing thing is super, no touch ups needed on any of ther frets.

Only a couple of mods so far: Grover Vintage Green Keystone tuners, gold speed knobs, and pointers.

[img']http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/jcwillow777/56%20Goldtop/LesPaulGoldtop.jpg[/img]

Try lowering the pickup a little first.

Archived