Gibson Brands Forums

Those that play both Electric & Acoustic......

brad1

I have used 11s on my acoustic guitar since I first started playing. I've used them for about 15-16 years and never really have even thought of trying other gauges. I have tried different brands.

Now on my electrics I use 10s. When I got my first electric a few years ago, I tried 9s, 10s, and 11s. I kept going back to the 10s. And so decided on those. I really wanted to like the 11s. I thought it would be good to have my fingers using the same size strings. But they just were not right.

I know that different guages can make your guitar sound different, especially with an acoustic. But I seem to have gone with the "feel" more than the "sound" of the strings. The 11s on the acoustic and the 10s on the electrics just feel right to my fingers on the fretboard.

I was just wondering about the others here.

Do some of you play with the same gauge on both?

Do most have it a gauge or two higher?

I was just curious.

brad

My Gretsch's have 11's, and sound and feel great!

My Gibby's and Epi's have 10's.

My Fender's (Strat and Telecaster) have 10's too...but sometimes

I WANT to go back to 9's, on the Strat...not sure why? The thought

usually passes.

The Rickenbacker 12-string has 10's, and the 3/4 scale 320 has

11's. So, I'm all over the place! LOL!

CB

I WANT to go back to 9's' date=' on the Strat...not sure why? The thought

usually passes.

CB[/quote']

Perhaps it could be due to the longer scale on the strat?

I use 12s on my acoustics, except that Lennon EJ160E, electric 11s because of the long neck and PU

My Strat, Tele, SGs, 10s because I play lead on those and the Fenders have longer necks.

My hollowbodies, 11s round wounds

My Ric 360-12 what ever the Ric string set is I forget

My Ric 350-6, 11s either flats or rounds changed back and forth when stringing

My Grestch Tennessean, 11s always flats

On acoustics I have worked my way up to 13's. I find that I get more movement of the sound board and better projection with heavier strings.

On electrics it's either 11's or 12's depending on tuning. I just got a set of Ernie Ball "Not Even Slinky" 12-56 for a guitar I plan on tuning down 1 1/2 steps to C# to get that Sabbath/Soungarden vibe. I haven't tried them yet. I'll let y'all know how they are once I get the guitar they are going to be put on.

the biggest i can get, traditionally. 12-56 on the acoustic, and 12s on the electrics. bigger strings bring out way more in the acoustic. and i tune down a lot, so i need the extra tension.

Had to search to find a pack of strings for my AJ, as I couldn't remember (gettin' like ol' Ron Reagan...heh).....turns out I'm using 12's on my acoustic, like I thought, and I use 10's on my LP (have flip/flopped between 9's and 10's on electrics much of my life). At this point, I'm considering going down a lil (11's, perhaps?) on the AJ, as switching between the two aggravates me at times, when it comes to feel. Before I bought the LP, I'd been without an electric for a few years, so the 12's felt normal, for lack of a better word. Now that I'm acclimated to the LP, playing the acoustic is almost a painful experience - not so much the guage of the strings (or high action), but resistance to bend.......do ya think 10's would be too light for an acoustic ? I've realized I indeed bend notes a lot of (sometimes inappropriate) times when soloing, but don't want to waste a set of strings finding out (unemployed and back in school atm)....so I'm thinking 11's on the acoustic might be a nice compromise ? I dunno.

But, anyway, to make a long answer short](*,) .... currently using 12's on the AJ, 10's on the LP

I WANT to go back to 9's' date=' on the Strat...not sure why? The thought

usually passes.

CB[/quote']

Don't do it Charlie....man what a pain in the butt that was for me. Then again might not be for you though.

I just put the 10's back on my Start after weeks of screwing around with 9's.

Anyhow;

11's on my acoustic...thinking of going 12's, or just maybe bumping up the bottom strings.

11's on my Gretsch

10's on everything else....now](*,)

Don't do it Charlie....man what a pain in the butt that was for me. Then again might not be for you though.

I just put the 10's back on my Start after weeks of screwing around with 9's.

Anyhow;

11's on my acoustic...thinking of going 12's' date=' or just maybe bumping up the bottom strings.

11's on my Gretsch

10's on everything else....now'](*,)

Yeah, I know....I've had 10's on my Fender's for quite awhile, now.

Picked up a friend's Strat (9's), and it felt really good, but after playing

mine again, I've decided to just leave well enough alone. For now, anyway...LOL!

I use different gauges for each guitar, depending on what suits it best. I've currently got .009's on my solidbodies (both 24.75" and 25.5" scales), .010's on most of my semi's, .011's on my Gretsch and Broadway, .012's on my Joe Pass

hello brad I only use extra light 9/42 or 43 on all my guitars electric and acoustic I have in the past tride 10s on some and 9s on others

I know it,s impossible but I think I can feel the diffence.

I read where a few of you use 11 - 13's on your acoustic. Just curious' date=' is that a real workout for your fingers as opposed to 10's or isn't it that significant a difference when it comes to playing?[/quote']

With a nice all wood acoustic guitar I don't think you can get any really good tone and projection with anything less than a 12 set. My Martin D-35, for example, is an absolute cannon with a set of 12's on it and the tone is worth a little bit of a fight!:D On a stage guitar like an ovation it's a different story as that's kind of a hybrid anyway...and lets face it(I own one too) a plastic guitar.

Jeff Golub (ex-Rod Stewart guitarist, plays jazz now solo, think a mix of Norman Brown, Larry Carleton and Lee Rittenour and add some funk) says on his website that he uses 9's due tendinitis flares up with heavier strings. Me? Diabetic, neuropathy in hands and feet. Can't reliably feel anything below 10's.

I sure appreciate everyone giving their opinions on the subject.

It's seems most do the same as I do; a little higher guage on the acoustic.

On an electric you can use a lot of effects on the guitar, the amp, pedals, EQ, etc. to make your strings sound more like you want them to. On the acoustic though, without a pickup, the sound you here is the sound you get.

I was wondering....SRV used 12s or 13s I believe on his electric. Does anybody know what he used on an acoustic?

I'm curious about players that use high gauge strings on the electrics. I wonder if SRV used higher than that on his acoustic, or if he played a lighter gauge?

Archived