Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting Sheraton Pickup height

cchollandjr

Have 1.5 yo Sheraton, I lowered the bridge lowered the pickups, but the neck pickup will not lower enough, get string buzz primarily with the 3 lower strings. Can seem to find anything on the net on how to get it lower. Have not taken the guitar apart. I Love the low action, as good as my Fender, but not with the buzz, raise the bridge a little to stop the buzz. Suggestions?

Have 1.5 yo Sheraton' date=' I lowered the bridge lowered the pickups, but the neck pickup will not lower enough, get string buzz primarily with the 3 lower strings. Can seem to find anything on the net on how to get it lower. Have not taken the guitar apart. I Love the low action, as good as my Fender, but not with the buzz, raise the bridge a little to stop the buzz. Suggestions?[/quote']

Weird. Maybe use a flat humbucker ring?

First, are you sure it's the pickup that the strings are buzzing on? If you place a straightedge across the frets at the heel of the neck, does it touch the pickup? Because if it clears the pickup then the pickup is low enough and you've merely adjusted your action so low that it's buzzing on the frets. However, if you are having the strings contact the pickup (which is weird) even with the pickup flush with the top of the mounting ring, your only option is to either find a shorter mounting ring or else cut down the existing one to get more clearance.

Oh, and be sure to verify that the ring hasn't been installed backwards (it happens); the tapered or thinner edge should be towards the neck.

Archived