Gibson Brands Forums

Pick Up Install

I just received my new Dimarzio Super Distortion pick ups for my Epi Les Paul yesterday. Does anyone have a wiring diagram on how to hook them up?

Thanks

Are you planning on installing them yourself or having someone do it for you? There are a few diagrams with instructions on the dimarzio site itself if you click on the pickup thats yours. I got a dimarzio super distortion p90 style for my epi too but this guy at the guitar shop said he couldn't install it because there was a big hole in the way or something so becareful. You can visit the dimarzio site here http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/ and find your pickup. The diagram and instructions should be where the pickup picture is.

Although, technically, whoever made those diagrams made a mistake with his + and - signs; one of the two coils should have the signs reversed, as humbucking mode requires that the pickups be connected out of phase. However his colours are correct so it's just a minor point. Actually it's kind of incorrect to have + and - signs at all since the pickups are generating AC...

Although' date=' technically, whoever made those diagrams made a mistake with his + and - signs; one of the two coils should have the signs reversed, as humbucking mode requires that the pickups be connected [b']out of phase[/b]. However his colours are correct so it's just a minor point. Actually it's kind of incorrect to have + and - signs at all since the pickups are generating AC...

But but..the diagram doesn't show how the coils are connected Rot... :D/

• 2 weeks later...

RotcanX

I drew that diagram and there's a lot more on my website on this page:

www.1728.com/guitar.htm

As far as humbuckers being "out of phase", yes you are correct that each coil is reverse wired and reverse magnetic polarity from the other. However, it is not really "out of phase" in the usual sense of the term. If the humbucker were truly wired "out of phase" it would sound very thin and would not be humbucking.

As far as the + and - signs, just about all the pickup manufacturers do that. Yes you are right that it is an AC current being generated from the pickup.

Anyway, please visit that website page and you'll see that a 4 conductor humbucker has a lot of tone options waiting to be unleashed.

The + and - signs just indicate the signal + and ground - leads. This is similar to hot and neutral on an AC circuit. The neutral is connected back to the grounding lugs in the breaker box and the hot is 110v in reference to ground.

In guitar pickups, the coils are connected in series with one out of phase (reversed) with the other. That's why you connect the common leads (Black + and White -) together. A true "out of phase" connection would be parallel (shunted) and the signal would be severely attenuated.

Archived