Gibson Brands Forums

Tuners Made The Difference

Soupy1957

So you go into your favorite guitar store and pick up an instrument that you might like to buy, and look at the tuners as one of your regular rituals.....the tuners are not the ones you like, so you:

A) put the guitar down and won't buy it

:- ask the store Rep if he will change them as a condition of the purchase

C) buy the guitar anyway, deciding that you will change them yourself

-Soupy1957

The last option:

I have never given a hoot about what tuners came with a guitar. It's an easy fix and there are so many aftermarket tuners out there it there it ain't no problem finding a set that you can slip right in with no drilling. I do prefer 18:1 ratio tuners and try to find ones that look like the original - butter bean or whatever.

Through all the years of playing, I can't say I ever changed a set of tuners, which of course begged the question that I originally posted.

The idea of a perfect fit for replacements is one that I'd like to explore a tad......how do you determine that the ones you want to put on will indeed "fit" both in depth and diameter?

I'd LOVE to be able to simply slip the new ones in, and lock em down without having to drill out the holes. Is that possible? How do I ensure that the tuners I want are a good fit right from the get-go?

Also, aren't most tuners simply locked in place by lock nuts that come with the tuners?

I have another question about leveling (I read some thread comment somewhere about this) but will save that for now....

-Soupy1957

the last thing I even notice when checking out a guitar are the tuners..unless one is busted or bent

I fixate on tone, playability, condition and finally the price.

I will regularly ask a clerk to swap out the old cruddy strings in order to be able to make my decision.

Any counter offers for a "free set" if I purchase the guitar makes me put down the guitar immediately....

Dave

Archived