Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge pickup angle: Gibson vs. Epiphone

The_Sentry

One of the first thing I noticed with an Epiphone vs. the Gibson was the position of the bridge pickup, and how it resides in the guitar. On the Gibson LP Studio that I own, the pickup is angled so the rear of the pickup (the side closest to the bridge) is the closest point between the pickup and the strings...this is not the case with the Epiphones.

I am not a photographer, but here is an example of what I'm talking about. First...the Gibson bridge pickup, and the angle in which it resides...

group1041.jpg

Next, the Epiphone LP custom...Note the difference in how the bridge pickup does not rest as much on an angle.

group1040.jpg

Is this normal? And what are the advantages to having that pickup angled in one way vs. another?

Actually this can vary from guitar to guitar. Depending on how the springs are sitting, the pickup will show more or less angle. Gibson uses a long and narrow, straight spring while Epi uses a larger but shorter tapered spring that tends to 'seat' better.

Actually this can vary from guitar to guitar. Depending on how the springs are sitting' date=' the pickup will show more or less angle. Gibson uses a long and narrow, straight spring while Epi uses a larger but shorter tapered spring that tends to 'seat' better.[/quote']

Thanks, RotcanX. I'm just curious as if the pitch in this way alters the sound of the bridge pickup. (Also..those pickups on the Epiphone LP? Those are Gibson Burstbuckers. So, even with the different springs and longer shaft, it still has more of a straight angle vs. the Les Paul.)

It's not so much the pitch but the distance of the pole pieces from the strings that makes a difference.

The pickups are intended to sit there level with the strings. Minor distance variations of the poles in the secondary coil and the strings shouldn't be very audible... I think that's why they are not adjustable in the first place.

I like the long screws and springs on the Gibson pickups better myself, but that's just a personal opinion... They do take more room in the pup cavity because of the longer mouting poles, but for my LPC they are easier to get level with the strings.

It's not so much the pitch but the distance of the pole pieces from the strings that makes a difference.

The pickups are intended to sit there level with the strings. Minor distance variations of the poles in the secondary coil and the strings shouldn't be very audible... I think that's why they are not adjustable in the first place.

I like the long screws and springs on the Gibson pickups better myself' date=' but that's just a personal opinion... They do take more room in the pup cavity because of the longer mouting poles, but for my LPC they are easier to get level with the strings.

[/quote']

Thanks for the answer, Biff. That does clear quite a few things up.

Archived