Gibson Brands Forums

BIG EPI LP UPGRADE ADVICE

ewhite84

Ok hey folks I've had an EPI LP for about two years now...its an 2006 DW serial model cherryburst. I bought kinda not knowing much about guitars basically just a snot nosed noodler trying to get an electric guitar. Well this past spring I discovered the Allman Brothers and this has led me back to my electric guitar.

So enough fluff...since Ive been really getting into my electric guitar(probably good 6 months of not just messin around) and learned how to play with my amp (piece of **** Crate MX120R, but hey like I said didn't know **** and it was an 120 watt amp for 100 bucks!) I am looking to upgrade as Ive got some band options open.

I do play with my fingers but I also get down on the slide not 50/50 but maybe 30/70 in favor of fingering. Ive seen lots of advice on this sight and so here it goes:

1. Does anyone know where I can get a quality detailed spec sheet of the epi lp...like pot power, pickup output..somethign a little more detailed than the guitarcenter specs.

2. I am going to buy a Marshall Vintage Modern 50 watt head (holding my fingers crossed to pick up a 2x12 orange cab..anybody got one?)

3. PICKUPS...was looking at GFS but I figured why not throw down some more bucks and go SD can't decide Vintage Blues 59s or the Hotrodded Set...and advice?

4. WIRING...want to do a wiring upgrade...any advice on that...Ive heard that lately the epi lps have had pretty good electronics and I can get one ranging from 20(guitarfetish) to about 50.

5. TUNERS...going keystone of course for the LP look..probably going to guitarfetish for these.

i figure that should make my Epi pretty bad *** and ready to go out and make some of my money back ;)

ANY ADVICE will be appreciated even OPINIONS I just want a whole bunch of information to sort through to DONT HOLD BACK even if you think what I am doing is stupid...as long as you can suggest another route that isn't assine like 'DUDE, JUST BUY A (fill in the blank).'

Sorry, forgot to add...I know I can save up for a coulpe of months and buy a Gibson...but I think the Epi provides an opportunity to customize and hotrodd.....like a Gibby to me is a Shelby Cobra GT500 I should just have to turn the ignition and step on the gas and be in heaven...but an Epi is like stock GT sure itll get you home feeling happy but with a bit of work she can take you anywhere almost as fast as the 500.

Oh might help to know what kinda sound im shooting for...im thinking like very bluesy with enough heat to really tear into a riff or solo but no need to try to compete with Dimebag.

*SD Hotrodded Humbucker Set is cool. Also consider the SH-6 Distortion 'Mayhem' pair!

*Wiring in the guitar is OK, not near as bad as some chinese knock off (335) that have TINY wires that you can see.

*Get Gotoh Keystone tuners. They are hold-steady trustworthy stay put good tuners

Welcome!

I got a set of the GFS Green tuners, and they are okay, but pale in comparison to several sets of Grover Vintage Green Keys that I put have in. The Grovers are much better. For only about $15 more, I'd go for the Grovers.

If you're gonna get a Marshall anyhow, I'd get it first and then see if you still want to change pickups. A decent amp makes a huge difference in sound. Then you can figure that out. GFS makes some nice pickups for a great price. One nice thing about SD pickups is that you can go to their site and listen to them. GFS has some pickups to listen to, but only a few.

About the wiring, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ok interesting new devolpment...got a line at my local GC...they three of those signature slash epis and theyre reallying tryin to move em....im thinkin trade in the the standard i got for a couple hundred of the slash then put then switch out the SDs in that for the Blues or Hot rodd set...should be able to get good resale on thoses SD's in there as they won't be used and they'll be Alcino Pro II SD's. I am considering this mainly because the slash signature model is supposed to have the neck set like the new gibby lp further in the body basically it seems if I get the slash my wiring, tombstone concerns will be met and i get a slightly better body?

Probably gonna go demo the slash's sunday. Maybe as Ill get to demo three some of these issues can be addressed and 1 out a 3 gotta be a pearl right thats just quality control stats working in my favor right. Read some reviews mostly concerns about the tuners...if i replace the pups and the tuners maybe a new nut im in about 200 hardware then labor if i trade in my epi lp and this ibanez aceclec i got i can probably get the slash for 3 4 maybe, depending on how bad they wanna move them i mean they came out what six months ago and only 2500 of them and they got three just sitting around!?

Thoughts?????????

If you are gonna scrap the pickups keep what you have. No sense in destroying a collectors edition. If you got a line why not pick up a gibby studio? They should only be a few hundred more than that Slash paul you are looking at.

dont know never really liked the studio if i was to get a gibby id have to get the standard you know or id just feel like i was compromising, though my friend has a smartwood studio that i like if they hadnt discountinued that i MIGHT consider that.

yea im thinking those slashes are gonna be hot but the only thing about them is Im not sure I like the Alnico II's I think maybe with the Vintage Blues Set or maybe that Hot Rodded set with that hot bridge I can get a tone more like I want... Im not really all about Slash's tone I just read that the body of his signature is bit more solid than the line standard. And I figured itd have better wood choice and electronics since its a signature and 300 extra bucks than a line standard.

Only thing changed out on mine is electronics, bridge, tailpiece. Tuners on mine are solid, keep tune better than the tuners on a Gibson L.P. I had. Oh yeah, the neck needed a slight tweak when I first got it, haven't had to mess with that in almost 5 years, even with the ridiculous humidity we've been having lately.

My thoughts are; replace the PUps and I would save the extra and go for the SDs. The set depends on your style and prefferences. I have just fitted the Hot Rodded and it has made a real difference Prabably the best for all round ballance.

Next I may follow Maiacs lead and replace the Tail Piece.

All the best with the project.

Check out the Guitar Player magazine that featured Slash, should be a couple months ago. Slash said he couldn't tell the difference between the Gibson and Epiphone Slash guitars. He said he knew there were some differences like cheaper electronic parts.

I wonder if Gibson thought it was more economical to make the same guitar and just change the name. If that's the case the Epiphone Slash LP would be an incredible bargain.

A combination of the SH-1/SH-2 at the Neck and the SH-4 JB and the SH-5 at the bridge has worked well for my uncle in the past, personally I am going to sport the SH-2/SH-5 for some nice tone options, but any combination is good.

So Thanks guys you gave some real good advice...after thinking about AND because my local GC did not have any MV heads only combo I didn't go demo the slash guitar AND Im thinkin that sidetracked me from original purpos to mod MY guitar. So Im stickin wit my baby....

I think I will scout for the Amp and Cab next week and pick those up and see how the stock equipment holds up and then get the push pull wiring kit the SD Blues set(might try to get the gc guys to swap one of the 59's for the JB 4). Gonna go and put on the Grover tuners and then my baby should be purring like a well feed lion.

Leave the (non pickup) electronics alone... there will be no noticable difference in replacing them... I know they dont look all that great but the flow of electricity is no different ... Unless you notice corrosion/rust...

Recommended pickups:

Gibson: 57 Classic/57 Classic Plus OR 490R/498T OR 490R/Dimarzio Super Distortion.

Leave the tuners alone... I have owned (and currently own) many Gibsons, guilds, and epiphones... I have never really said "well that brand stays in tune so much better". A good nut seating however does help.

Leave the (non pickup) electronics alone... there will be no noticable difference in replacing them... I know they dont look all that great but the flow of electricity is no different ... Unless you notice corrosion/rust...

Recommended pickups:

Gibson: 57 Classic/57 Classic Plus OR 490R/498T OR 490R/Dimarzio Super Distortion.

Leave the tuners alone... I have owned (and currently own) many Gibsons' date=' guilds, and epiphones... I have never really said "well that brand stays in tune so much better". A good nut seating however does help.[/quote']

Well the tuners are admittedly purely for aesthetics...no problems with them they stay in tune great any slippage is usually the result of old strings. Can't go Gibby or can't justify going gibby for one gibby pick up I can get the SD set.

As for the wiring...thats something I am hestiant about a little...as to its necessity ive heard any effect is probably just you tryin to justify having spent the money but this push/pull thing sounds interesting though i mean i have no use for it...so im tryin to do some research on it. i hear jimmy page uses it a lot.

I own 3 'regular' Epi LPs and a) I've never had any problems with the tuners or :-k the wiring. Save yer money & leave 'em alone. c) I love SD pickups and won't discourage you from buying them but have to say the GFS pickups I've put on my guitars have been great & they include Vintage '59s, Antique PATs, Crunchy PAFs, Mean 90's, and Loudmouths. d) If you're really contemplating buying a Gibson the best advise I'll ever give you is to BUY AN EPIPHONE ELITIST! It will be the best guitar-buying move you'll ever make (I own 9 of them). You won't have to do anything to it as all componants (including pickups) are first-rate all the way. (Although you probably won't find them at GC. Here in Tulsa GC is the Gibson/Epiphone dealer and one day when I was in there I asked 3 different 'salesmen' if they had any elitists and none of those three 'guitar experts' had ever heard of them! And they are the dealers)!

But MF or (especially) Sweetwater will fix you up. Sweetwater will even set it up for you free.

Oh no no Im not having problems with the tuners or the electronic...I just would prefer the look of the tombstone/tulip tuners to the kidney beans on the epi...no technical reason just pure looks you know like chosing a date for prom.

I am becoming less and less inclined to change the wiring however as it seems unnecessary unless i go for the push pull set up. Ive heard a lot about GFS and they do seem good but its just too much hassle to go through if i dont like them...unlike some people who review them and say 'hey and if you don't like them youre only out 40 bucks!' like its cool or something. But with the SDs i get something i like with a name i know. that i can hear and get in my car and drive right back to guitar center if it doesnt work out.

Ive been thinking about the elitist actually (trade in my epi standard and an ibanez acouelec i dont really play anymore but is still pretty as hell and sounds great). But like you say you can't really walk in the store and pick those up...and guitar center dudes are just salesmen...ive only found one guy in all my guitarcentering who knew what he was talking about and didnt try to bs me...and i called demanded to speak to the manager and tell him because ive never been 'helped' at guitarcenter just conned and it was good to get some quality service for a change...by chance it was when i bought this epi!

The whole idea behind upgrades in my purpose was to improve what was lacking or broken.

If it worked OK I sure wouldn't touch it. Like the tuners, I've got the best set ever on my Les Paul and they hold tune perfectly. The tailpiece? I changed it to a TP-6 fine tuner because I have poor ability to tune off the fly any other way.

The SG tuners were nothing like these Grovers and slipped and slid until I bought some locking tuners. No comparison. Like some have said it depends on the guitar and its manufacturer too.

The SG Custom is Korean and made at Seian

The Les Paul is Chinese and made at Qingdao.

(Comparison between what I've experienced in these two makes from two different plants):

Gibson/Qingdao has it to the point that the hardware is stable. The body is awesome. The guitar itself is a joy to play and literally needed nothing out of the box.

I find the OEM Korean manufactured SG to be of good body but poor hardware.

After a nut filing, replacing the bridge,tuners, tailpiece, and a fret file I finally made this guitar playable.

Having the SG Custom was misery for a couple of months in 2006 wondering how the hell I was going to make it playable.

It wouldn't stay tuned for the love of nothing even after 2 initial set-ups.

I finally found a luthier that cared and had great suggestions/solutions.

It is now one of the best guitars I own and will never part with.

ok perhaps I have misspoken(typed) I guess im not looking to 'upgrade' but 'customize' rather. as in my tuners are fine i like them just fine...but id rather have tulips...nothing against the grovers id have id just perfer their tulips. my pickups to be quite honest i like them just fine BUT id like to be able to put a little more dirt from them into the amp. The wiring i mean as dont really know much about it but guitar circuitry can't be but so complex and id like a little more response on my pots right now i get a clear tone from about 1.5 to 2.25 anything under 1.5 might as well be 0. it seems to me anyway. since im getting the Vintage Modern amp id like a lot more nuance in my pots to dial in tone. see replace the bridge is something ive not considered but if i was to do that i might as well jsut gut the guitar because then id almost be replacing everything...aslo the nut...thats a good suggestion.

Archived