Gibson Brands Forums

Epi BFG

iansmitchell

Anybody think they'll ever make it?

I'd dfinately buy one if it came with an actual gibson burstbucker 3' date=' epi P-90s fine with me...

How much ya reckon it'd cost?

The gibby is the cheapest LP they sell, but I'm not sure if it'd be so from the epi factories...[/quote']

Doubt it. I honestly don't see the attraction; those wood knobs are the weirdest things...

Y'know, if the Epi had real Burstbuckers, It'd cost just as much as the Gibby!

Doubt it. I honestly don't see the attraction; those wood knobs are the weirdest things...

Y'know' date=' if the Epi had real Burstbuckers, It'd cost just as much as the Gibby![/b']

Well, I think the unsmoothened look is just pure balls to the walls and of course, H/P-90 combo is a favorite of mine.

And you're not taking into account gibson's name, and country of manufacture.

Gibson pickups probably cost gibson 40 bucks to make, tops. They charge more for the replacement pups since they know they can get it.

Labor costs alot, or else epi's wouldn't be all that much cheaper.

Yeah, I don't care for the wood knobs either.

But the killswitch is a pretty cool addon.

Really, I liek that's it's nontraditional.

Y'know?

Well' date=' I think the unsmoothened look is just pure balls to the walls and of course, H/P-90 combo is a favorite of mine.

And you're not taking into account gibson's name, and country of manufacture.

Gibson pickups probably cost gibson 40 bucks to make, tops. They charge more for the replacement pups since they know they can get it.

Labor costs alot, or else epi's wouldn't be all that much cheaper.

Yeah, I don't care for the wood knobs either.

But the killswitch is a pretty cool addon.

Really, I liek that's it's nontraditional.

Y'know?[/quote']

I see what you mean. I would never use that pickup combo, or the killswitch, so I guess it's not for me, but if that's what you like, whatever, to each his own.

And about the Gibby pups, you make a good point. It's like the Prophecy GXs; they have Ebony necks and Gibson Dirty Fingers, yet they're what, $600 or something?

Ya gotta admit, Gibson knows how to make money!

I see what you mean. I would never use that pickup combo' date=' or the killswitch, so I guess it's not for me, but if that's what you like, whatever, to each his own.

And about the Gibby pups, you make a good point. It's like the Prophecy GXs; they have Ebony necks and Gibson Dirty Fingers, yet they're what, $600 or something?

Ya gotta admit, Gibson knows how to make money![/quote']

Yeah, it's not for everyone, I know.

Lowest priced GX is 499 I believe.

The toni iommi SG uses gibson USA pickups as well, and is also 499.

So, especially when only one pickup has to be gibon(epi makes a fine P-90), I think it's doable.

Also, the idea of a BFG, a guitar where everything is wood and metal excet for the pickup covers, is pretty damn cool.

Even though I'd change the knobs and add a TRC in a heartbeat

Still, if I saw an epi BFG for the same price, or even more than an epi les paul standard, I'd go BFG, gibson pups or not.

To make a cheap backup for working musicians. At least that's my interpretation...

They already had:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Vintage-Mahogany-Electric-Guitar?sku=517536

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Faded-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=513825

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Faded-Double-Cutaway-Electric-Guitar?sku=517512

(all of which are cheaper than the BFG)

Why make one with different pickups (stronger humbucker and a P-90) if it's a "backup"?

Why not use the (cheaper) standard plastic parts?

They already had:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Vintage-Mahogany-Electric-Guitar?sku=517536

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Faded-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=513825

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Faded-Double-Cutaway-Electric-Guitar?sku=517512

(all of which are cheaper than the BFG)

Why make one with different pickups (stronger humbucker and a P-90) if it's a "backup"?

Why not use the (cheaper) standard plastic parts?

But I thought you said the BFG was "the cheapest LP they sell"?

Whatever then, if it's not for working musicians, then it's for weirdos like you!

J/K of course... don't Townshend me... oh god, I did it again!:-

But I thought you said the BFG was "the cheapest LP they sell"?

Whatever then' date=' if it's not for working musicians, then it's for weirdos like you!

J/K of course... don't Townshend me... oh god, I did it again!default_eusa_wall.gif

Yeah, I did more research.

I also found out:

They only made 800.

200 per color.

That'd keep an epi from coming unless they wanted to change like 700 for it and make more profit from the BFG idea...

Yep, I'm a wierdo. I like killswitches and mixmatch pups.

:D

Lol.

This hummer has seconds to live.

EDIT:

Of course, a buckethead signature studio (Whitewashed hardware/paintjob, dimarzio pickups, killswitch, 24 fret neck, no inlays, the works. I'd settle for normal black speedknobs over the "whatever was i my pocket" buckethead selection.)

buckethead4xl5.jpg

Yeah' date=' I did more research.

I also found out:

They only made 800.

200 per color.

That'd keep an epi from coming unless they wanted to change like 700 for it and make more profit from the BFG idea...

Yep, I'm a wierdo. I like killswitches and mixmatch pups.

default_eusa_wall.gif

Lol.

This hummer has seconds to live.

Ouch, I just pictured Townshend holding a Hummer over his head!

Yeah, It doesn't seem like Epi knows what "Limited Run" means, or maybe they just translate wrong to those factory workers... Zing!

that bucket head guy is well an truely scary. if i were police i'd get a warrant asap.

i think the bfg's look like crocodiles. big friendly giant? big f***ing guitar? i assume in a doom sence big f***ing gun...

He was raised in a chicken coop, what do you expect?

He's an excellent guitarist. Ozzy considered him for his band.

Crocodiles? Check a youtube video, from about more than 6 feet away, with nes knobs and a TRC, you'd barely be able to tell it wasn't smoothed out.

Well, in all fairness, EVERY LP is a big ****ing guitar.

Not as much as say, an epiphone emporer, but heavy for sure.

Gibson makes the BFG as a dirt-cheap no frills Les Paul. The moment Epi makes one, it becomes a premium model due to the fact that it's loaded with Gibson pickups. Plus I don't know how they'd veneer that textured top...

I think the point is that the price on the Gibson is so low that it's going to be pointless to do an Epi version. However an Epi LP Studio with a BFG pickup and wiring arrangement would probably fly; they could ring it in for under $600.

that bucket head guy is well an truely scary. if i were police i'd get a warrant asap.

i think the bfg's look like crocodiles. big friendly giant? big f***ing guitar? i assume in a doom sence big f***ing gun...

Uh, last time I checked there was no law against looking scary. And I see nothing scary at all. He's funny to me. How does a plain mask, and a KFC bucket on your head equate to scary????

And if the police took a warrant out on everybody who looked scary- there would be a hell of a lot of people under arrest.

:)

i guess thats why there's cameras everywhere. perhaps a good thing!

here is the link on gibsons site again. the guys are covered in blood. if you it's funny you may be suffering a phycotic mental illness...:)

http://www.gibson.com/bfg/bfgvideo.htm

boy. by there fruits be they known!

That is funny.

Metal by numbers is funny.

I kind of want those T-shirts...

And despite the utter stupidity of the song and video, I still wanna have a BFG.

Archived