Gibson Brands Forums

G400 PICKUP SPECS ???

wiltshire willy

Damn' date=' how/why are epi bridge pickups so damn hot?[/quote']

Not sure. Maybe they tried to model it after the Seymour Duncan Hotrod-set, which seems one of or maybe the most popular aftermarket PU-set today.

It's not so much a question of the heat... a Gibson 498T measures around 14K too and a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck pins the meter at 16K. No, there's a problem with the Epi Classic Plus but it's not the resistance. I don't know if it's crappy magnet material (my best guess) or just winding technique (lot of voodoo there apparently).

You have to remember that Epi can't put more money into the pickups without impacting the final selling price. These are five dollar pickups, if that. The good news is that there are a number of aftermarket options at a wide range of prices... so basically accept the fact that Epi pickups are kipple and move on. With GFS offering their products at bargain basement prices it's not worth getting upset... just swap!

When I bought my first JB back in the mid eighties, I do believe they were called the Jeff Beck, but I may be mistaken. Wish I could find the original box. Naturally SD is probably a little worried that Mr. Beck might show up one day to claim a royalty fee on the 125,000-odd JB pickups they've sold in the past thirty years... but everyone knows what JB really stands for.

Like any self-respecting Jazz player would be caught dead with a JB in his guitar... [-X

When I bought my first JB back in the mid eighties' date=' I do believe they were called the Jeff Beck, but I may be mistaken. Wish I could find the original box. Naturally SD is probably a little worried that Mr. Beck might show up one day to claim a royalty fee on the 125,000-odd JB pickups they've sold in the past thirty years... but [i']everyone[/i] knows what JB really stands for.

Like any self-respecting Jazz player would be caught dead with a JB in his guitar... [-X

Like any selfrespecting jazz-player would be caught dead with a SD-Jazz in his guitar...

It's no secret the JB was inspired by Jeff Beck. I think SD tried to persuade JB into endorsement by giving him a guitar with the first Jazz and JB PUs. JB liked the guitar and used it to record Blow by Blow, but wasn't interested in an endorsement.

SD suggested the JB stood for Jeff Beck by placing a picture of him in the brochure next to the JB-pickup. Marketing-wise it worked. Calling it Jazz-Bridge or Jazz-Blues is of course complete bogus and just confused the public, but was legally safe.

He(SD) tried the same trick with his '78 pickup which somehow is referred to as the EVH-model. EVH just conviently happens to stand for Even Voiced Harmonics... LOL!

It's not so much a question of the heat... a Gibson 498T measures around 14K too and a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck pins the meter at 16K. No' date=' there's a problem with the Epi Classic Plus but it's not the resistance. I don't know if it's crappy magnet material (my best guess) or just winding technique (lot of voodoo there apparently).

You have to remember that Epi can't put more money into the pickups without impacting the final selling price. These are five dollar pickups, if that. The good news is that there are a number of aftermarket options at a wide range of prices... so basically accept the fact that Epi pickups are kipple and move on. With GFS offering their products at bargain basement prices it's not worth getting upset... just swap![/quote']

OK, WTF is "kipple"? Can't find a definition. Are you making up words now?:-

Oh, and what does JB really stand for?

OK' date=' WTF is "kipple"? Can't find a definition. Are you making up words now?:-

Oh, and what [i']does[/i] JB really stand for?

You need to go and get a copy of Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep by Philip K. ****. This is the book that the movie Blade Runner was stripped from.

CLICK Kipple

In my opinion, it really stands for Jeff Beck. Long time ago Seymour Duncan built a Telecaster as a gift for Mister Beck. It had two brand new pickup designs that Seymour had made by rewinding two Gibson pickups. These were the JB and the JM. The JM was named after John Milner, a character in the film American Grafitti and eventually became known as the Jazz. SD will tell you that 'JB' stands for 'Jazz Blues' but I'm not buying it.

Archived