Gibson Brands Forums

buzzing is driving me crazy!!!

timmyinpajamas

i recently exchange my g400 for a lp studio and the g400 played fine but this lp is buzzing like crzy .. it was supposedly *setup* by the guitar store .. but it buzzes so much around the 7-10 fret area on the 3 low strings .. i dont know if i should deal with it or exchange it or return it .. because i already exchanged my g400 and now i feel like im so annoying to the store .. technicaly i can exchange it .. what do i do .. should i learn to live with it .. i already tried raising the action like crzy but it still buzzes ... sigh .. the frets look even .. and i checked my truss rod and its good .. so i dono

i recently exchange my g400 for a lp studio and the g400 played fine but this lp is buzzing like crzy .. it was supposedly *setup* by the guitar store .. but it buzzes so much around the 7-10 fret area on the 3 low strings .. i dont know if i should deal with it or exchange it or return it .. because i already exchanged my g400 and now i feel like im so annoying to the store .. technicaly i can exchange it .. what do i do .. should i learn to live with it .. i already tried raising the action like crzy but it still buzzes ... sigh .. the frets look even .. and i checked my truss rod and its good .. so i dono

If you can afford it, get it Plek'd. That should do the trick.

Don't mess with it, take it back or send it back and get one that is set up properly. At the very least one that doesn't buzz without moving the strings an inch away from the frets. Don't ever hesitate to get what you paid for, no matter how much you feel you are a pain in the ***. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

That buzz won't stop driving you crazy and you will hear it even when you are not playing.

Now would someone please answer that damn phone!!!

Don't mess with it' date=' take it back or send it back and get one that is set up properly. At the very least one that doesn't buzz without moving the strings an inch away from the frets. Don't ever hesitate to get what you paid for, no matter how much you feel you are a pain in the ***. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

That buzz won't stop driving you crazy and you will hear it even when you are not playing.

Now would someone please answer that damn phone!!![/quote']

Hah, that's how I feel sometimes. Anyways, don't worry, I got it.

I would suggest biting the bullet, so to speak, and pay someone (perhaps the place you where bought it) to professionally set up your guitar. While they are at it, they can swap the strings (if you haven't already done so) with new ones.

I had the same problem with my LP custom. Believe it or not, raising the action isn't going to kill that string buzz. In fact, it might make it worse, or it'll just transfer the buzz to another part of the guitar.

This is what I did to fix mine.

I verified action w factory settings. The way I did this on the cheap: I found a tape measure at Lowe's that did 32nd inch increments, and I cut off a 5" section (3 dollar tape) so that I could get exact measurements:

High E string between top of 12th fret and bottom of the E string: 4/64th (or, 2/32nd) of an inch

Low E string between top of 12th fret and bottom of the E string: 6/64th (or 3/32nd) of an inch.

If your truss rod has been verified (and it might be slightly out, but not much, especially if they swear by a setup) your next step is bridge saddles. I found an All Parts bridge with the saddles that were probably set up for an Ibanez...ie, the bridge wasn't worth anything to me, but the saddles worked just fine. The bridge wasn't that expensive.

A better bet would be to get a replacement for the whole bridge, but in my case it wasn't that expensive. Or, if you want to fix it on the cheap? (heheheh).....get some foil from a candy bar or paper and shove it in the holes.

But yeah, it drove me out of my mind for almost 2 months before I put new saddles on my LP custom.

Good luck....

is it normal for the saddle piece to be able 2 shake a lil .. like its loose when the strings are off .. i think im just gonna return it and get the lp custom silverburst

Some bridges do that...I chalked mine off to the gold hardware...but, a sure test to see if it's the saddles that are the issue is to play notes on the 22nd fret. If you're getting buzzing there...then yeah, it's definitely the saddles.

(And, I was getting additional fret buzz until I went pretty straight on with the manufactured specs for the action, and before I jacked the stop bar all the way down.)

But anyways...if you can get the silverburst? Awesome!

Some bridges do that...I chalked mine off to the gold hardware...but' date=' a sure test to see if it's the saddles that are the issue is to play notes on the 22nd fret. If you're getting buzzing there...then yeah, it's definitely the saddles.

(And, I was getting additional fret buzz until I went pretty straight on with the manufactured specs for the action, and before I jacked the stop bar all the way down.)

But anyways...if you can get the silverburst? Awesome! [/quote']

thanks !!

If there's a problem with the guitar, then definitely take it back. It's not your fault if it's wasn't made right or not setup properly. If they give you that look (they might if your're trading in for your third different type :-k, don't worry about it. Better to feel a bit embarrassed than to regret not doing it.

I know people that won't even send back food when they get the wrong thing.

I know people that won't even send back food when they get the wrong thing.

That's because they're afraid someone in the kitchen will will spit on it, or worse. :-k

Thankfully, that's not something you need to worry about with a guitar or other durable goods.

Look, if you really like the guitar, and aren't suffering from buyer's remorse, give your dealer a chance to make it right and adjust the buzz out. Just my two cents.

In any case you're entitled to get a good working guitar, that's what you paid for in the first place.

Tim,

You paid for it....If it ain't right...Take it back.

Maybe they can fix it....Maybe not. Once you pass the date...It's yours.

Also, yes, when the strings are off the bridge will be loose...that's why some people like locking briges (the kind that lock on the post. Locking bridge can also apply to the method of holding the actual saddle in place.)

Oher causes of string buzzzzz:

How sure are you that the neck deflection is right?

Improperly seated frets

High or unlevel frets

Any combination of the above

Picking too hard after I have had an evening of livation.

Let us know how it turns out.

thanks every1 .. im going to call samash tom .. wish me luck !!

Oh, I didn't pick up on it being Sam Ash, definitely take it back and DON'T feel any remorse. They have the resources (money, people...) and obligation to make this right.

I'm not an SA fan, or a GC fan either.

Archived