Gibson Brands Forums

LP Studio with P90's

Recycled Rocker

Hello my learned friends, my LP Studio should arrive on Tuesday this coming week, can anyone tell me if P90's will give the guitar a warn sound or what sort of sound it will give. Currently it has Alinco Humbuckers, is it worth the upgrade.

Gee haven't even got it yet and I playing............. =D>

Thanks in advance

RR

can anyone tell me if P90's will give the guitar a warn sound or what sort of sound it will give.

RR

Obviously a difficult thing to describe with words. Sort of halfway between a

humbucker and a Strat. If you go to the Seymour Duncan site, there are

samples of all the pickups; check out the Phat Cat vs the humbuckers.

If you want to hear what P-90's sound like listen to some live Who from the late 60's early 70's. Durring this era Pete was using an SG (Classic I think) with P-90's. Give another listen to "Live Live at Leads", The Who's preformance at Woodstock, and the live stuff on the expanded CD version of "Who's Next". I say to listen to the live stuff because, to me, it seems like the P-90 sound is more prominent on these recordings than the studio ones.

Hello my learned friends' date=' my LP Studio should arrive on Tuesday this coming week, can anyone tell me if P90's will give the guitar a warn sound or what sort of sound it will give. Currently it has Alinco Humbuckers, is it worth the upgrade.

Gee haven't even got it yet and I playing............. =D>

Thanks in advance

RR[/quote']

RR,

I have one of the LP Studios, it's one of the EE models, the humbuckers in it gives a nice warm sound.

Having just got the WildKat with p90s ...yes there is more bite to the p90s, like they have said, somewhere between a HB and single coil.

Get Twang's attention and ask him tho because he has the same LP studio and has had p90s in both positions...and I think changed it to bridge HB and neck p90 now....he is a big p90 fan.

If I were you...try the stock HBs out for a bit, you may just like them:-" I know I do.

Capt

I went with a HB sized P90 in the bridge of my dot, oposite of an alnico humbucker(in this case, the GFS vintage 59).

I also put in a set of 3 push/pull potentiometers. Working through the F-holes wasn't fun, bit it was worth it. Now I have the humbucker able to split (wired so it would cancel out the 90's hum if both were selected), the 90 can be put out of phase, and I also have a pot to switch between series/parallel.

I've found this to be an incredibly versatile setup, without even using the push/pulls, for classic rock, hard rock, blues, and even punk. The pull settings can be more useful for countryish things, strat tones, and more clean sounds. I'm very happy with the setup.

Archived