Gibson Brands Forums

Back and Over the Tailpiece

Stevics

I read an interesting Q&A entry in Guitarist Magazine (UK) relating to the stringing of the tailpiece.

It was noticed that Joe Bonamassa had set his strings to go back through the tailpiece and then over the top (see image).

guitar005-2.jpg

The answer:-

Yes there is a good reason for it,People like Billy Gibbons and Duane Allman figured out that if you screw the tailpiece down hard on the body the wrap the strings back over the tailpiece, not only did you get the perfect downward force on the bridge, but it also seemed to increase sustain and tone. Also, many people say it reduces tension, making the guitar feel spongy and easier to play.

He goes on to say:-

I would suggest using a better quality lightweight tailpiece and that it cured his strings-breaking at the bridge problem on his SG

Has anyone out there tried this? If so how did it go?

This could be one for you multi LP or SG owners to try!

You must be a mind reader. I was thinking of posting the same question. I remember seeing Zakk Wylde stringing his guitars that way back in the Ozzy days. I don't know if he still does it. I haven't looked lately. I'm interested to see what people say. I'm gonna try doing it on my next string change. I'll post the results.

You must be a mind reader. I was thinking of posting the same question. I remember seeing Zakk Wylde stringing his guitars that way back in the Ozzy days. I don't know if he still does it. I haven't looked lately. I'm interested to see what people say. I'm gonna try doing it on my next string change. I'll post the results.

I think he still does. He says it fascilitates bending the heavy gauge strings he uses. 0.10-0.60 and I seem to recall a mention of 0.70 on his dropped D-guitars...

Called 'top wrapping' in the LP circles, this little string gimmick is commonly used with Gibson Les Pauls

that have a tendency to have an angle between the tailpiece and the bridge so sharp that

the tailpiece can't be lowered enough (or brought completely down for "a better sustain")

without the strings touching the edges of the bridge. Maybe it's also related to the neck angle on the said guitars

(the bigger the angle the higher you have to set the bridge for good action).

gibson-wrap.jpg

I think it does take some downward pressure off from the bridge which makes it feel odd, but may be a good thing, depending on the situation.

I've tried top (and under) wrapping a couple of times, but it doesn't feel good with my Epiphones and no need to do it.

It makes a certain amount of sense on a Gibson, where the tailpiece can be lowered so that it is in full contact with the guitar's top. However tricks that work on Gibsons will not necessarily work on Epis, and since an Epiphone is not a Gibson (in so many ways), it is impossible to get the tailpiece low enough for this to happen because the tailpiece studs installed on Epis are different compared to those on Gibsons. So it's kind of a waste of time to 'top wrap' an Epiphone. As a matter of fact, top wrapping an Epiphone bridge will usually reduce the string tension over the bridge to such a degree that you start to get weird rattles and buzzes happening. No, if you want less tension on the bridge on an Epi, just raise the tailpiece a bit.

I did this with the 3 unwound strings on my G-310. I like my action low and was getting no sustainon the B G & E strings. It seemd to help a quite a bit and I did notice less string tension. It stays in tune just fine, and if it scars the bridge...oh well. Its a cheap guitar.

Archived