Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup covers

ef_in_fla

The gold covers on my Epi LP Custom were pretty nasty looking, so I got these black metal ones from the Dragonfire store (Ebay). I think they look pretty cool. The plan was to go with gold PU rings (they're in the mail) and black covers, but now I think I may keep it as is.

epiLPcustom_b4after.jpg

FYI they have matte black and shiny black covers, I went with shiny. Cost was about $14 USD after shipping. It was an easy mod and they fit perfectly.

epiLPcustom_blk4.jpg

Now I don't know if I should string it up or wait for the gold rings. I'm pretty impatient lol.

For sure on the black screws, if I decide to leave it this way. Great minds think alike.

Soundwise I guess I'll find out when once I get her strung up. From what I've read there shouldn't be any issues (shouldn't be...). The pickups were good and full of wax when I pulled off the old covers, just slid the new ones on leaving all that wax intact. Hopefully all is well. If so it's a pretty good bang-for-your-buck mod at $14.

The pickups were good and full of wax when I pulled off the old covers' date=' just slid the new ones on leaving all that wax intact. Hopefully all is well. [/quote']

Hope so. Some people suggest you should melt some candle wax to the cover and heat it with a hair dryer while you clamp the cover for soldering. That way there's only a minimal chance of anything squealing back at you when you plug it in.

Looks nice, anyway. Good catch.

Just updating this old thread. Finally got around to installing the gold rings with the black covers. It looks pretty cool. So did the black ones though. Hmmm. Either one looks a whole lot better than those beat up gold ones.

They were hard to get a photo of, had to take it outside.

lp_newrings3.jpg

lp_newrings4.jpg

Any issues with microphonics/feedback' date=' did you get the covers sit tight on the pickups? Thinking about the possible space between the cover and pole pieces..

[/quote']

All you need to do is use a little hot wax when installing the new covers and you'll never have that problem. Works like a charm.

Archived