Gibson Brands Forums

Which guitar books have you found useful?

Nic

Does this person read music? I find musicians that can't read music try hard to justify why they don't.

Yes, but the point he is making is to not look at your hands (especially fret hand) and to hear and feel the music. He's not saying don't use books.

The guy does studio work and tours with known acts as a back-up musician, so I think I can take his advise as solid.

Yes' date=' but the point he is making is to not look at your hands (especially fret hand) and to hear and feel the music. He's not saying don't use books.

The guy does studio work and tours with known acts as a back-up musician, so I think I can take his advise as solid.[/quote']

Thanks for the clarification. Yes. Yes. Yes. You should be able to play without looking at your hands. If don't have to look at your hands it means you are not thinking about technique, you're only thinking about the music.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes. Yes. Yes. You should be able to play without looking at your hands. If don't have to look at your hands it means you are not thinking about technique' date=' you're only thinking about the music.[/quote']

The point I was trying to make earlier (but did a crappy job of it) was that I too like or liked video. I found that when I started using the books along with CD's it helped me focus on the timing. When I watch DVD's I tend to get so focused on hand placement that I'm not really tuned in to listening or recognizing the timing. I was sold on DVD's and/or video's and will still use them, but the book/CD has allowed me to understand what I am learning much better than other means of learning.

I found out early on that there is no "right way" to learn guitar. You find what motivates you and assists in the progress and you've discovered "your way" of learning guitar. So if people prefer video's. more power to them. I just remind people that it's an art of audio unless you are up on stage doing windmills and sliding across the stage.

I hope that makes better sense, because now I'm starting to get confused.

I saw the Denyers book in the music section of my local Borders the other day. It had a splashy "completely revised and updated" label on the cover - so I guess they've finally brought out a new edition.

I agree with you re: "Blues you can use" - looks like a great resource. I think I'll be ordering Books 1 & 2 from Amazon quite soon...

Regarding The Guitar Handbook by Denyers, I think the '92 edition is the newest; it's the one with the blue cover (my '82 is black). Like I mentioned though, it's probably only missing some of the newer recording/effects setup in the equipment section, but it covers valve and solid state, as well as midi (which mine doesn't). Can't remember if it has digital editing (prolly not). Anyway, it's a really cool book to have as a sortof all-in-one reference.

I purchased Blues You Can Use on amazon ($13.57); it should be here Monday or Tuesday. I also bought "Speed Mechanics For Lead Guitar" by Troy Stetina (same price and got >$25 free shipping). I wanted a pure technique/practice book and it had a lot of good reviews.

Archived