Gibson Brands Forums

Another Epiphone sighting: April Wine

V-Type

I caught April Wine awhile back in Ontario and was pleasantly surprised to see a Couple of Very Nice Epiphones being used through out the show. Great tone and a VG Band.

So I go to Wikipedia and Bam the Show I attended is the main pic.

Wild.

Enjoy.

800px-April_Wine_Fergus_2008.jpg

Why is that? I know of 2 Christian bands on the East Coast that are doing just this.

Is it the practice' date=' or the opinion that is manure? And why is it such?[/quote']

The whole idea is just idiotic, that's all. I really don't care who might be doing it.

- Leave your good clothes in the closet, wear the crap

- Leave your good car in the garage, drive the beater

- Leave your good tools in the toolbox, use the Kmart tools

- Leave your good shoes home, wear the ones from Payless

- Wear your old eyeglasses, the new ones might get scratched

...ad nauseum

The whole idea is just idiotic' date=' that's all. I really don't care who might be doing it.

- Leave your good clothes in the closet, wear the crap

- Leave your good car in the garage, drive the beater

- Leave your good tools in the toolbox, use the Kmart tools

- Leave your good shoes home, wear the ones from Payless

- Wear your old eyeglasses, the new ones might get scratched

...ad nauseum[/quote']

Eh, but that's how it goes.

Here's an example of this...

http://www.weezer.com/forum/default.aspx/cid/500/tid/142053

I also noticed that bands like Metallica often record with vintage Gibson Les Pauls, but they don't take those out on stage.

I imagine Billy Gibbons doesn't take Pearly out for that sort of thing, either....

Anyways...

=D>

Eh' date=' but that's how it goes.

Here's an example of this...

http://www.weezer.com/forum/default.aspx/cid/500/tid/142053

I also noticed that bands like Metallica often record with vintage Gibson Les Pauls, but they don't take those out on stage.

I imagine Billy Gibbons doesn't take Pearly out for that sort of thing, either....

Anyways...

default_eusa_wall.gif

Off of the forum from the link:

"it's a gibson SG, epiphone is like the knock off of gibson. epiphone sucks"

.. and such is the unfortunate general opinion of Epiphone nowadays.

Off of the forum from the link:

"it's a gibson SG' date=' epiphone is like the knock off of gibson. epiphone sucks"

.. and such is the unfortunate general opinion of Epiphone nowadays.[/quote']

Well, I don't care what they say.

I've got a 1500 dollar Gibson Les Paul that spends more time in the case than not because my Epiphones are the guitars I play on every single day.

When I go to shows, or play out somewhere, more times often than not it's the Epi LP Custom that gets played.

And, in terms of bottom end and presence: Does it have "that Gibson sound"? Not quite. But, they do have a sound all their own, and every time I whip out my Custom, at least one head turns.

So, let 'em talk down. It doesn't matter to me one bit.

Well' date=' I don't care what they say.

I've got a 1500 dollar Gibson Les Paul that spends more time in the case than not because my Epiphones are the guitars I play on every single day.

When I go to shows, or play out somewhere, more times often than not it's the Epi LP Custom that gets played.

And, in terms of bottom end and presence: Does it have "that Gibson sound"? Not quite. But, they do have a sound all their own, and every time I whip out my Custom, at least one head turns.

So, let 'em talk down. It doesn't matter to me one bit.

[/quote']

I'm just sick of fighting those idiot shredders over this. And god forbid those types start hanging around here due to the Goth and Prophecy models (not saying these models are bad, but rather that they attract some less-than-knowledgeable characters).

I'm just sick of fighting those idiot shredders over this. And god forbid those types start hanging around here due to the Goth and Prophecy models (not saying these models are bad' date=' but rather that they attract some less-than-knowledgeable characters).[/quote']

It hasn't been lost on me that a lot of the regs prefer the traditional models. But irregardless, this unto itself should speak of the product, ie it's more of a case of experienced "tone hounds" finding satisfaction with Epiphone products as opposed to younger players who have so gain and distortion on their amplifiers that it's a moot point to even wonder what the guitar sounds like otherwise.

I would rather take the word of someone who has been playing guitar for 3 decades over a good product as opposed to someone who has only been playing for 3 years....

I also hate how the amp business is starting to cling to that. I want a damned clean tone' date=' not something that sounds like I'm spitting on the pickups...

Good God, I'm not even 18 yet and I need to get my cane.[/quote']

Yeah, but look at it this way:

In a sea of metalheads, you're going to stick out like a sore thumb. That will pay off in spades when you're out playing live.

This reminds me of my last "jam session" (school music class that the guitar teacher asked me to sit in on during my free period since he knows I know more than 3 chords [his words])

Person: "What should we play?"

Me: "Know the 12 bar blues?"

Person: "No..."

Me: "Know any kind of chord progressions..."

Person: "No..."

Me: "...alright, try C-Am-Dm-G."

Person: "What key is that?"

Me: "C..."

Next thing I know, C Major Pentatonic. In order.

It hasn't been lost on me that a lot of the regs prefer the traditional models. But irregardless' date=' this unto itself should speak of the product, ie it's more of a case of experienced "tone hounds" finding satisfaction with Epiphone products as opposed to younger players who have so gain and distortion on their amplifiers that it's a moot point to even wonder what the guitar sounds like otherwise.

I would rather take the word of someone who has been playing guitar for 3 decades over a good product as opposed to someone who has only been playing for 3 years....[/quote']

Hey, I'm 15, and I appreciate all the subtle nuances that make a guitar individual. My brother, who's a shredder (so to speak) didn't understand why I didn't want to part with a guitar. He laughed when I tried to explain how wood is different in every guitar because it's from a living thing, not manmade.;)

I literally have been playing for 3 years, but I'm not stubborn (IMHO, lol) and I listen to my elders, like a guy named SoloDallas on YouTube. This guy has spent his whole life perfecting AC/DC's sound. So obviously, I don't argue with him. Seriously, he's amazing.

I also hate how the amp business is starting to cling to that. I want a damned clean tone' date=' not something that sounds like I'm spitting on the pickups...

Good God, I'm not even 18 yet and I need to get my cane.[/quote']

I feel the same way dude!

Yeah' date=' but look at it this way:

In a sea of metalheads, you're going to stick out like a sore thumb. That will pay off in spades when you're out playing live.[/quote']

Ah, but who will the audience be? That same sea of metalheads. He'll be hard pressed to find a cult-following of people like us by then!

Roswell:

It seems like it's only us that are under 18 on here, huh? Kind of a shame isn't it?

Hey, I'm 15,
Hey, me too=d>
I literally have been playing for 3 years, but I'm not stubborn (IMHO, lol) and I listen to my elders, like a guy named SoloDallas on YouTube. This guy has spent his whole life perfecting AC/DC's sound. So obviously, I don't argue with him. Seriously, he's amazing.
Hmm, we're really quite similar... I've heard of him before. If I can be half as good as he is I will be content.
Ah, but who will the audience be? That same sea of metalheads. He'll be hard pressed to find a cult-following of people like us by then!
Well, as down-hill as music is going, I won't be shocked. I really hope we get a good band or two in the future that brings it back. Hopefully people who can write songs too... (I'm working on that, not too good at it though...)
It seems like it's only us that are under 18 on here, huh? Kind of a shame isn't it?
It's kind of a surprise given the few shredder guitars Epi has made and the reputation the Les Paul has earned.

Hey' date=' me too=d>

Hmm, we're really quite similar... I've heard of him before. If I can be half as good as he is I will be content.

Well, as down-hill as music is going, I won't be shocked. I really hope we get a good band or two in the future that brings it back. Hopefully people who can write songs too... (I'm working on that, not too good at it though...)

It's kind of a surprise given the few shredder guitars Epi has made and the reputation the Les Paul has earned.[/quote']

Well if you haven't heard of Airbourne, I suggest you go and buy their album now if you want rock to survive! They released "Runnin' Wild" in Jan. of 2008 in the states. They're heavily AC/DC influenced Aussie pub rock. You can find it at any CD store like FYE.

I think the LP's rep is nothing to shredders. To them it's just overpriced. And to them Epis suck.

WOW just listened to Sign of a Gypsy Queen and another, these blokes rocked, you know we never heard of them in Australia, what a bloody shame!!!!

Thanks for posting this V..

I'm going to see if I can some how get a hold of their music..........

I'm hooked......................

Cheers

RR

Yeah, Myles bought a silver glitter Epi Les Paul from one of the members of the old forum... and the deal turned into a nightmare as he demonstrated what an anal arsehole he can be. So don't forget the 'h' whenever you talk of April Whine.

WOW just listened to Sign of a Gypsy Queen and another' date=' these blokes rocked, you know we never heard of them in Australia, what a bloody shame!!!!

Thanks for posting this V..

I'm going to see if I can some how get a hold of their music..........

I'm hooked......................

Cheers

RR[/quote']

Wow. Very Cool indeed. They have quite a few Killer tunes and are a very Overlooked band.

The 4 times Ive seen them they Truly Rocked.

Shes a Roller/ Roller,All Over Town,I Like Too Rock are just a few of there best.

:P

Myles Goodwyn was one of the artists that influenced my attraction to the Gibson SG. He used to use a gorgeous sixties SG Standard, with a Maxon treble booster plugged into the output. They were also sponsored by Hagstrom for a while back then and he would show up with a Swede while Richie Henman, the original guitarist, would use one of those SG-ish Hagstrom F-200s. You used to see them a lot at all the local high schools and colleges. The current AW lineup includes Breen LeBoeuf on bass, of Offenbach fame; one of the most talented bass players I've ever met.

Archived