Gibson Brands Forums

What is the best way to sell a guitar?

Nic

I haven't sold a guitar in 30 years and need to sell a PRS Custom 22. It's listed on Craig's List in my local area, but so far (three days) there hasn't been any nibbles. Does it make sense to try selling it in other parts of the country?

I would try e-bay but since I have no history I doubt that anyone will bid on it. Is that an accurate assumption?

What other ways are there to sell a guitar?

I ned the money so I can buy more Epis.

There are a few ways of selling. As you already are doing - Craigslist. I wouldn't get discouraged since it's only been three days. I've sold four or five on eBay, but the last transaction turned sour more a result of eBay and their charges. I've also sold them on forums and at work, so the options are plentiful. The advantage with eBay, broader market, disadvantage - you have no idea of who you are dealing with.

Questions you can ask yourself right now - is the current Craiglists written correctly, provide enough information, is the item priced at a fair market value? Who or where can I get word out that the guitar is for sale? Let people know it's for sale, they might not be the one that buys it, but they may just mention it to a potential buyer you would have never been able to reach.

Nic, selling a high-end guitar, with an asking price of $1950, is going to be more difficult

and probably take longer than something cheaper. Because Craigslist is free, I think a

lot of its users aren't in that market. You'll want to market the guitar as broadly as possible.

You can advertise on eBay and simply hope for the best; placement of the ad itself doesn't

cost much. And a local might see the eBay ad and come see it in person.

Edit: You need the broadest audience, like selling a house. Ever notice how FSBOs

usually end up getting listed with an agent who can put the house on the MLS?

I buy and sell guitars on Craigslist daily' date=' at least 5 transactions a week. I don't ship and it's cash only. a little patience and you'll do well on CL.[/quote']

But isn't Austin a MUCH hotter market for guitars than most?

I would recommend e-bay I buy and sell all the time and have picked up a couple of bargains!

But beware put your reserve at the lowest price you want on two occasions I have picked up top end guitars for daft money.

Depends on how soon you need it gone. Ebay is best if you want it sold quick. CL can be easier because you don't have to ship, but you run the risk of showing it to tire kickers who may not pony up the dough. Nice axe, you can get a lot of Epi's for $1950. :-k

If you use ebay make sure you know how much it will cost to ship it to the farthest point of the country from where you are. I got burned once quoting a shipping price of $40. It cost me $65 to ship. I had to eat the $25. Nobodys fault but mine.

Cost me 15 bucks to ship a guitar from here to california.

I think most ebay shippers rip you off

Cost me 15 bucks to ship a guitar from here to california.

I think most ebay shippers rip you off

I don't know where "here" is but that seems pretty cheap. Who was the carrier?

Cost me 50 bucks to ship my Dot in the case (about 25 pounds total) from

eastern Oregon to Nashville via FedX. I do agree that most eBay sellers

overcharge for "shipping" but then again, so do a lot of online stores, in general.

Then you just put FREE on it and it'll never leave.
My dad put a three-legged picnic table (it was supposed to have four) on the side of the road, with a "free" sign, and it was gone in two days.

And the house is on the least-travelled road in the smallest town.

My dad put a three-legged picnic table (it was supposed to have four) on the side of the road' date=' with a "free" sign, and it was gone in two days.

And the house is on the least-travelled road in the smallest town.[/quote']May be different clientele for guitars and tripod-tables?=D>

Archived