Gibson Brands Forums

What is the best way to sell a guitar?

Nic

Hah' date=' because everything that's free is free for a reason![/quote']

Reminds of a friend who was trying to get rid of a weight bench... nothing wrong with it, just didn't want it anymore. He put it at the end of his driveway with a FREE sign on it. It was there for days with no takers.

Finally, he changed the sign with one that read "FOR SALE $50". Within two hours, someone came along and swiped it.

Reminds of a friend who was trying to get rid of a weight bench... nothing wrong with it' date=' just didn't want it anymore. He put it at the end of his driveway with a FREE sign on it. It was there for days with no takers.

Finally, he changed the sign with one that read "FOR SALE $50". Within two hours, someone came along and swiped it.

[/quote']

Hah, there you go... I'm right as usual.

J/k

Here's the best way NOT to sell a guitar. Post a photo of the box instead of the guitar.

LINK

I "asked the seller a question" basically letting her know that there are tons of new guitars on Ebay and that it would be smart to open the box to take a photo of it. She didn't seem to "get it". I sure wouldn't bid on a box.

I love the part where it says the box is opened and inspected after the bidder pays, but no returns. Kinda late then! LOL.

I've sold quite a few guitars and amps on Ebay (many in the price range your talking about) and it can be a great place to do business. CL is much more of a local want ad situation and in general doesn't fetch the same $$ IMHO. I think $1950 is pretty ambitious for that guitar and if you really want to move it quickly I'd search Ebay for completed transactions on similar guitars and price it accordingly(maybe even a few$$ less to move it quickly). I've also had very good luck with fixed price/ best offer accepted auctions over reserve price auctions. I've actually gotten more than my reserve would have been on a few higher end pieces that way....and you don't have to wait the full 7-10days for the auction to end that way. If you want to move it quickly or trade it PM me and I can put you in touch with a dealer in NY who moves alot of PRS...but he is a dealer after all and they all low ball you as you probably know.

I think $1950 is pretty ambitious for that guitar and if you really want to move it quickly I'd search Ebay for completed transactions on similar guitars and price it accordingly(maybe even a few$$ less to move it quickly).

Thanks to everyone for the advise. I put it on e-bay for $1500 which seems to be somewhere in the middle. If the bidding doesn't work I'll try a fixed price. But, not really knowing what I'm doing I want to make sure it doesn't sell for too low a price.

I always tend to use local press & e-bay. ( just sold my Black Beauty & Mex Tele on there)

I usually refuse to post guitars, as I've been stung before( broken headstock, even with

bubblewrap, gigbag, more bubblewrap, box, packing, 2nd box, brown paper & a ton of

packing tape !!!) Royal Mail, I've s**t 'em](*,) But if the buyer accepts responsibility(in

writing) I will reluctantly post( with insurance)

Anyway, in the UK, I don't think people mind travelling if they're getting what they want

for a decent price, although I should think it's impractical to drive across the U.S. for a

£500 guitar !!

I usually start my auctions at £1.00 & set my reserve at the absolute minimum that I am

willing to accept, include a heap of pics, showing all flaws (if any) & a detailed description,

with links to reviews, manufacturers' web site ect. I will usually include some sound clips/video

of the guitar in action & encourage questions from potential buyers. I've sold quite a few guitars

on the bay & using this format have had good results.

On the buying side of things, I have had some great deals browsing auctions with little or no

info or pics, eg. ''electric guitar for sale''. These auctions tend to have low visiting figures, hence the

prices tend to stay low & bargains can be found. (I've bought some proper lemons as well, which

have gone straight back on the bay !! with proper description & pics, usually at a profit)

Anyway, that's my 2 bob's worth, sorry if I rambled on a bit ! Good luck with the sale.

Nic' date=' selling a high-end guitar, with an asking price of $1950, is going to be more difficult

and probably take longer than something cheaper.[/b'] Because Craigslist is free, I think a

lot of its users aren't in that market. You'll want to market the guitar as broadly as possible.

You can advertise on eBay and simply hope for the best; placement of the ad itself doesn't

cost much. And a local might see the eBay ad and come see it in person.

Edit: You need the broadest audience, like selling a house. Ever notice how FSBOs

usually end up getting listed with an agent who can put the house on the MLS?

Multiply that by about 100 for the Metro Detroit area, Nic. Its the worst economy in the U.S. and everyone wants a fantastic deal. If you try to sell outside of your local CL area, it will most likely get flagged.

I personally like the consignment idea. I would try going up to the burbs, like Royal Oak or Berkley or someplace with money and try to sell it there if you dont want to deal with shipping by selling it on a website.

Thanks to everyone for the advise. I put it on e-bay for $1500 which seems to be somewhere in the middle. If the bidding doesn't work I'll try a fixed price. But' date=' not really knowing what I'm doing I want to make sure it doesn't sell for too low a price.

[/quote']

It's a tough economy now to sell anything,but I think you're in the right ballpark now Nic! Good luck with it!

Archived