Gibson Brands Forums

What Do You Do With Your Guitar When You're Not Playing It?

Roswell

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I'm not playing mine? Surf this site and get GAS.

I'm limited on room. One in a case, one in a closet, 2 on stands. Yeah, the dust is a beach, especially on my black guitar. It would be nice if they made some sort of dust cover for the stand, because it's kindof a pain to use a case when you're just playing it at the house.

LOL, I just remembered something. I worked with a guy who bought an acoustic. A few months later he bought a gig bag and he also got a stand, I think to get the free shipping. He had them shipped to work, and when they arrived, he tried to give the stand away to anyone who would take it. He said he just leans his guitar on the couch, which is the only place he plays. Why would he need a stand? And anyway if people saw his guitar on a stand, they'd expect him to be a good guitarist. We tried and tried to get him to use it, but he said he'd just end up throwing it out so finally someone took it.

Wonderful guy, but wow.

I don't really use my old '95 Yamaha Pacifica 112 anymore - it's old and beat up, but it was the first guitar I ever owned and I wouldn't get much even if I did sell it. I wanted to hang it on the wall in our living room, but my wife stamped on that idea - she reckoned it would look cheesy - a bit like that dogs playing poker picture.

I keep my ancient Yamaha FG-180 handy on a stand right behind me - I like it to

be handy. My Dot I keep in the case, to protect it from harm. I always keep

at least one latch closed on the case in case someone (including me) picks it up.

Had that happen to my ES330 years ago, at a gig. It was in the case lying flat

on the floor and a mate picked it up to move it. My beloved (1st Gibby) new 330

spilled onto the wood floor! Amazingly, it didn't get a scratch.

I like to keep an acoustic and an electric on stands in the family room and the rest upstairs in my music room in cases. When kids visit, they all go in cases in the bedroom. When it's safe, they get to come out again.

When I'm not playing my guitars?

Short of putting it down for a second to answer the phone or go to the bathroom (I have a stand for that)...

They're always in the case.

In fact, to break my habits with guitar stands, I'm down to one stand which services 7 guitars...

G'day Folks,

Mine are all on stands in the small room I use for a study and to practice. However with the next bout of GAS I'm going to have to take a different approach as 4 guitars and two amps is already crowding things a little. (As well as big computer desk) I love seeing the "girls" when I walk into the room so putting them into cases doesn't appeal.

Big Norm's approach looks good with wall hangers and making a feature of them displayed prominently so I may go that way. Dust is a problem as also are grand kids but they know how special Poppies guitars are and treat them with respect by staying away from them. Climate isn't an issue here.

Actually when I look at it wall hanging isn't so practical as I haven't got much wall available so maybe pull this house down and redesign it around the guitars? Then look for a new wife cause this one will have left by then ~

Open to ideas??

Dig

A little off topic' date=' but.... I have heard that the rubber on guitar stands can damage nitro finishes. Is this true?[/quote']

Some stand cushions, made from various substances, react with some finishes. I long ago got rid of all the stands I once had that use the tubing (I was also put off by their constant shedding of parts -- notably the yoke for the neck).

Now I use A-frame stands from Carvin. They fold up, don't have parts to lose, and are unobtrusive when you're photographing your axes. The older ones were small enough to fit inside a cable bag, and the newer ones lock in position: they're both good.

My guitars sit in their cases in a rack I made out of PVC that holds them almost upright. The peghead end of the case leans against a pipe that runs horizontally. If I'm working on material with a specific guitar or bass (I play electric guitar, bass and Dobro in different venues), it's on a stand next to a plugged-in amp so I can quickly get going when I have the urge.

Since I got my pretty natural finish Sheraton, I notice it spends most of its time on a stand in the living room, where I can see it. The A-frames are pretty stable, which is necessary. A lot of techs over the years have made a lot of money splicing Les Paul pegheads back together after some genius owner leaned it against an amp.

When I'm not playing mine? Surf this site and get GAS.

I'm limited on room. One in a case' date=' one in a closet, 2 on stands. Yeah, the dust is a beach, especially on my black guitar. It would be nice if they made some sort of dust cover for the stand, because it's kind of a pain to use a case when you're just playing it at the house.[/quote']

I keep them on the stands.

Go to Wal-mart (or other such store) and buy a bathrobe. Costs like $10 - $15 US. Makes a great cover.

When I'm in my studio/workshop, my EPI stays uncovered.

And my workshop studio is very small (8x11). And with the amps, guitars, benches, shelves, etc.

I have very little room. But it has a door so none of the dogs can get in there. No kids here.

I build/modify pedals and other guitar related electronic goodies (more on one of them in another thread).

The reason I keep my EPI uncovered is because I constantly need to test whatever changes I make to

whatever electronic gadget I'm working on.

And the area I live in is EXTREMELY dusty. I live in a little valley. There is a dry lake bed across the highway. Its so bad, that when traveling through the valley, even in the daytime, you are required by law to have your headlights on.

A little off topic' date=' but.... I have heard that the rubber on guitar stands can damage nitro finishes. Is this true?[/quote']

On weekends mine are all out and in stands (isolated room). On Sunday night I put the main three in cases (Dot, Strat, and Wildkat) after a good cleaning. Two remain out -Peavey Tele Tri-Single and Squier 91, I have no cases for them and that way I still have something I can reach for when the urge strikes.

As for the rubber material, we just had this conversation over at the home forum. Since it is not a brand related forum and has a number of Epi lovers there - I will just link it.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=8034&highlight=surgical

Archived