Gibson Brands Forums

Looking Ahead on the Future of My GAS

Roswell

Fortunately for my wallet, Epiphone has limited me to 8 models. I already own a Dot, so that rules the Sheri out for the moment (really don't need two 335s), so that gives me the Signature SG and 5 different Les Paul models (hooray variety).

As I'm a bit of a classic rocker, the SG probably won't fit me too well (I'd like to know for sure but damn Guitar Center here doesn't stock anything left handed and neither do any of the local stores), so it's mainly down to the Les Pauls. What exactly is the difference between all of them? What'd probably be the best buy, do you think?

As an aside, I'm looking at a 12 string in my future, but Epi obviously doesn't manufacture any (nor do most people), so that may be a long time.

So, thoughts, good gentlemen?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, the differences really are mostly cosmetic.

However, you can find, for instance, an SG with an ebony instead of rosewood board.

You can find all mahogany lp's, and with maple cap.. and cap may be veneer.

so cosmetically, you choose first between the plain or figured tops, gold or chrome hardware.

some have fancier binding etc...

all the necks have been feeling the same to me.. though I'm sure they may vary a bit even on the same model, sometimes.

I have the lp studio. why? all mahogany body. no extra cash laid out for block inlays or body binding.

otherwise, it's a les paul all the way. 329.00.

the lp Prophecy is the one that interests me, right now. EMGs, active electronics, fancy top.. I could see owning that AND my lp studio for sure.

ps

a wildkat might be something you'd like. NOT a dot by a long shot.. bigsby.. smaller body..

G310 and G400's that are relatively cheap and always listed under the right handed models. Are they any good?

Ask Spud - he has 50 of them.

Also, some folks prefer the lighter weight of the SGs compared to LPs, which

weigh a freakin' ton.

Fortunately for my wallet' date=' Epiphone has limited me to 8 models. I already own a Dot, so that rules the Sheri out for the moment (really don't need two 335s), so that gives me the Signature SG and 5 different Les Paul models (hooray variety).

As I'm a bit of a classic rocker, the SG probably won't fit me too well (I'd like to know for sure but damn Guitar Center here doesn't stock anything left handed and neither do any of the local stores), so it's mainly down to the Les Pauls. What exactly is the difference between all of them? What'd probably be the best buy, do you think?

As an aside, I'm looking at a 12 string in my future, but Epi obviously doesn't manufacture any (nor do most people), so that may be a long time.

So, thoughts, good gentlemen?

I'm in the same boat.

I came really close to picking up a low-end, Special II as a project guitar, but I found the LP standard with a case and locking tuners for 400 USD. So far it's been a good investment.

The only thing I can really recommend here? It would be preferable to playing the guitar before buying it. I know online shopping and shipping is all the rage, but it's a bit different for left-handed players. First of all, whatever you order....it will probably not be in immediate stock. That implies waiting an extra month or two for the guitar. And, if it isn't up to snuff? Yes, you can send it back...and wait another 30-60 days for the replacement guitar to show up.

And on and on it goes.

If your local Guitar Center is anything like the 2 that are within an hour's drive of my house, you're pretty limited on your selections. Chances are there might be a Special II, (or a Les Paul 100, maybe both..) which are both bolt-ons...

Then there's the LP standard. You might have a true blue Gibson Les Paul Studio there, but I think those are going to run out soon.

There's advantages and disadvantages to all of these guitars. So far, I've felt the best money spent on a guitar that didn't require much was the LP standard. But, they're not consistent. You might pick up one and it's great, and another one might be garbage. The LP 100 (in a honey burst) and the Special II (cherry burst, but they're about to do another run of leftie vintage sunburst in black) will both require modifications....but, with the bolt-on neck, if you do have any issues with the neck, you can get it replaced outright.

The Les Paul Customs in the left handed models are only available online. As are the Iommi SG's.

I'm still interested in either a Sheraton II or the Iommi SG....in fact, the SG would probably deliver great Sabbath/AC/DC type stuff.(it would be a nice counterpoint to the Dot...but that's a personal opinion)

..but if it's the case of the Les Pauls?

Asthetics aside (and yes, the black tuxedo look is cool) I still think the best deal that will involve the least amount of modifications on an aftermarket level is Les Paul Standard. Other than the paint job, and the extra binding, I don't know if the Custom is worth the extra money they are asking for it.

(And if you're really willing to work on your guitar? Special II....it's the cheapest model, but with a new nut, locking tuners, and new pickups....I don't think it would be a bad guitar at all....and the LP 100 I tried out was pretty solid as well.)

PS: On a lark, it might not hurt to check Craigslist in your local area to see if anyone's got a used one for sale. You never know...you might get lucky....

I'll try to find one of the LPs to fool with. What's the difference between a G-310 and a G-400?

The G-310 is a bolt-on...the hardware probably isn't as good on it.

The G-400 is a much better guitar stock.

(Also...I checked my local Guitar Centers online stock...supposedly, they do HAVE some stuff in stock that is not on the shelves. It may not hurt to call to see what they have available before driving out there...)

I'll probably call mine one of these days to take a look.

Also, would a 12 string guitar be useful to add to the aresenal given what I play? I'm generally rhythm, and on a lot of older songs the brighter feel seems to be nice. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'll probably call mine one of these days to take a look.

Also' date=' would a 12 string guitar be useful to add to the aresenal given what I play? I'm generally rhythm, and on a lot of older songs the brighter feel seems to be nice. Anyone have any thoughts?[/quote']

Heh....(I know....I know....I just can't resist talking to another leftie!)

There was another poster a while back who was on here, and was also left-handed. He had in his possession a LH 12-string. It wasn't stock though (the only manufacturers I've seen that offer these are Martin and Taylor, and they want a pile of cash for 'em), and what he did was he found a luthier who fitted a new bridge and nut to a cheaper 12-string guitar.

(Anyways...turning over thread. Sorry for all the replies.)

There's a manufacturer called Agile music who sells a lefty 12 string for $300 or so. PM me if you want the link. I've played one once (out of the box, my friend got one, he's no longer a friend so no way of going back to revisit it) and I remember being astounded at the quality of instrument. I'm just concerned a 12 string won't fit into my grand scheme of skills, but it seems like it might be a good complement to my Dot and single coil Strat knockoff.

Also' date=' would a 12 string guitar be useful to add to the aresenal given what I play? I'm generally rhythm, and on a lot of older songs the brighter feel seems to be nice. Anyone have any thoughts?[/quote']

Beatles, Byrds, Moody Blues........

While' date=' it appears as if my budget for my next guitar is somewhere around $200-$350:-({|= so I, once again, am very limited. This is a sticky predicament.[/quote']

Hmmm.....Honestly Roswell? You could get a Special II, but at the least you're going to have to replace the nut. (You might also be able to find some used Epiphone pickups for a better price online...BUT...)

You may want to just consider the amp for now. And, just keep your eyes on Craiglist for a good used one.

2 cents...

Seems like a good idea. Would I have to get a nut made or can I just order one?

Because you're a leftie, you'd probably be better off getting one cut out of bone at a local shop. They sell a lot of trem and graphite nuts, but on a leftie? Not so sure...(and, if it's a Special II, the neck is slightly slimmer than the regular LP's.....)

Archived