Gibson Brands Forums

My little EPI LP mod

CodeMonk

Heres my latest mod to my EPI LP.

I used some formica (epoxied to some plexiglass for thickness) from the counter top of a landmark motel near here (The Mapes in Reno, Nevada) that was demolished a few years ago, So theres a bit of history in this.

Formica is a ***** to work with. Its so damn fragile.

Sorry for the poor quality, but my camera sucks.

Misc055-1.jpg

Misc023.jpg

Ohhh.....I hate you all :)

A matching truss rod cover will have to be done then. Its a great idea.

I'll of course post pics of the whole thing when I get done (may be a week or two as I have tons of other things that are a priority. Or maybe I'll do it tonight :)

Maybe I can find a camera that will take better pics to.

And Roswell , Right now I'm living in Stagecoach (about 30 miles east of Carson)

OK god.....

Last night I went into Reno (Where the Mapes used to be), jammed with some friends and showed off my new pickguard, TRC (they thought it was awesome).

Well, one of the guys came up with this idea, Replace the fretboard inlays with the same material.

I think hes crazy as a loon but the idea still intrigued me a bit.

I know this would not be a trivial undertaking, but perhaps if I could get ahold of a few broken necks to practice on...

Yes I know it woulds be very difficult to do.

One of his reasons was since the formica came from a landmark, it would give it more meaning. I don't really care about that (probably get my pic, etc in the local paper though for it).

I'm not here asking how to do that, I'm sure there are tutorials around for doing that. I would keep the same shape.

But my question to you all here is, how do you think it would look? To "Over the top"?

Guess I could photoshop it and see, but I wanted some opinions.

Theres a 99.999999% chance that I won't be doing it, but it still sounds like an interesting project.

Oh and Roswell.

I lived in Carson for a number of years as well.

I even worked in one of the oldest buildings in town (you know that big "motel" on 5th street? :-

Theres a 99.999999% chance that I won't be doing it' date=' but it still sounds like an interesting project.[/quote']That sounds difficult, but would probably look quite good.

Oh and Roswell.

I lived in Carson for a number of years as well.

I even worked in one of the oldest buildings in town (you know that big "motel" on 5th street? :-k

You mean the one that will be redone once hell freezes over? :-

You mean the one that will be redone once hell freezes over? 8-[

No, not that one. The one at the other end of 5th street. The old "Graybar" hotel (NSP).

Although, I used to work at Cubix (thats how those morons that are redoing the Ormsby got their money). And they let Cubix fall apart.

And it will probably still be a "work in progress" 20 years after hell freezes over.

No' date=' not that one. The one at the other end of 5th street. The old "Graybar" hotel (NSP).

Although, I used to work at Cubix (thats how those morons that are redoing the Ormsby got their money). And they let Cubix fall apart.

And it will probably still be a "work in progress" 20 years after hell freezes over.[/quote']Ah, yea, the graybar. I went through Carson semi-recently (I have an uncle who lives in Reno. He's the one who got me into guitar) and the outside of the Ormsby looks good. Only problem is it doesn't look like any work is being done on the inside. 8-[

BTW, next time you go through there, check out Play Your Own Music.

Its a small music store owned/ran by a guy named Vince.

It by that Carl's Jr and across from Long John Silvers, Near that Radio Shack by the DMV office, etc, etc., etc..

Vince is a really nice and helpful guy.

You should engrave the truss rod cover to say "The Mapes."

"The Mapes, By Gibson" :-k

Hey maybe they well make it my own signature model, or sue me :)

Roswell, I think I saw a lefty in there the other day.

They also had this REALLY AWESOME looking bass in there made by a local guy.

Prices are typical for a mom and pop type operation. Higher priced than GC (theres a GC in Reno), but far better service. Like for instance the Danelectro FAB pedals they have go for $19.

Basically its him and his wife that run the place.

Hell, next time you plan on going through there, let me know and we can meet for lunch or jam or something.

Archived