Gibson Brands Forums

The pickup covers on my G-400

smerdlap

There's gonna be a whole lotta wax under those covers. When I removed the cover on my neck pickup to do the "Peter Green Mod"' date=' there was so much wax that it looked like a Jello mold.[/quote']

so can i get rid of the wax somehow without damaging the pup?

The cover is usually fixed to the pup plate by a couple of blobs of solder, which can be easily melted off with a soldering iron. It's also full of wax which may make the cover difficult to pull off. Melt this with a hairdryer. You may find the pup plastic bobbins aren't a nice black colour, some are a greyish colour depending on the batch and the factory.

The wax will scrape or wipe off as it melts. Don't chisel it off with a metal tool, you may break the wire. And don't expect much difference in tone...it may be a little brighter but not a lot.

The cover is usually fixed to the pup plate by a couple of blobs of solder' date=' which can be easily melted off with a soldering iron. It's also full of wax which may make the cover difficult to pull off. Melt this with a hairdryer. You may find the pup plastic bobbins aren't a nice black colour, some are a greyish colour depending on the batch and the factory.

The wax will scrape or wipe off as it melts. Don't chisel it off with a metal tool, you may break the wire. And don't expect much difference in tone...it may be a little brighter but not a lot. [/quote']

assuming i dont chisel the pup, it shouldent break if i do this right? i just want to make sure because i havent done anything like this before :P

Use a BIG soldering iron to soften the solder blobs; it's better to use a lot of heat fast han a little heat which requires you to 'cook' the solder for minutes. The pickup baseplate unfortunately acts as a big heatsink and a little 25-watt iron jkust can't do it. As said, a hair dryer will melt off the extra wax in a jiffy; put a couple of paper towels under the pickup so that you don't drip wax all over the guitar.

Personally I find that these pickups improve to the point of near acceptability once the covers are off. Blocking the signal with a sheet of cheap chrome-plated brass is not going to do anything to improve the tone of a pickup that is already muddy and undefined to start with.

With stock Epi pickups, your risk is minimal. If removal of the covers is unsuccessful,

stock uncovered Epi pickups are VERY inexpensive, if not free (a forum member gave

me one). New ones can be had on eBay for cheap. You might also consider killing

two stones with one bird and upgrading your pickups with some of the many

choices available.

Don't worry, the operation really is pretty simple and the risks are small.

Instead of using the iron, you can carefully strike a small chisel through the solder blobs, using a hammer.

Should you somehow manage to kill the pickup, new ones are really easy to come by. I just sent a pair for free to a lad who would have be willing to pay real money for them. Once you try 3rd party pickups in the guitar, there's no going back to the horrible originals...

The people here must have loads of those standard Epiphone pickups without covers lying around unused. If you let us know that you're looking for a pair (begging is prohibited in the forum rules) maybe someone near your locale is willing to send them to you for a few bucks.

Nooo I wouldn't do that.

Look on Youtube there is a guy showing how to take a PU cover off. It will give you an idea what you're getting in to. It's not hard, I just did it last weekend. I cut the solder points with a razor blade, no soldering iron necessary. Getting the wax off is the hard part.

Archived