Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone needs to redo the G-400...

superjudge3

All I'm saying is that if Epiphone is going to call it "an authorized version of Gibson's great '62 SG"' date=' then it at least needs to be a copy of a Gibson '62. I don't care if the price hits $600. If it was beveled correctly, had WHITE binding, and correct knobs, then it would be an authorized version of the great '62. I don't mind the Epiphone headstock, in fact I'd prefer it because it's an Epi, not a Gibby. [/quote']

Absolutely with you on that one. As a matter of fact, Epiphone goes so far as to call the G-400 a 'faithful' replica of a '62 SG... I dunno, but if I had a wife that was 'faithful' like that I'd end up in divorce court.

If my cheap $100 SG Junior is beveled correctly' date=' why not on a guitar that cost me $530 back in 2001? [/quote']

Big 'if' there. The SG Junior's bevels aren't that accurate either.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

You guys are being hard on the G-400. I bought mine in '01 and popped an SD '59 in the bridge, replaced the knobs, and resoldered everything, and I find myself playing it more often than my Epi. '56 Gold Top and my Gibson LP Studio. The guitar feels great in my hands. I want to get some better looking tuners, but if you string the guitar properly the Epiphone tuners (they didn't put grovers on them in '01 :)) stay in tune great. Woo G400!!! Lack of some of the cosmetic features is a bummer, but the guitar looks great anyway.

• 3 months later...

Are you kidding me?

I have heard it in countles songs, books, movies, plays, long before AC/DC was even a band.

It's a very well known cliche.

People have been saying that, or something like it, since man has had money and talked BS.

As a owner of five, (5), G-400s I'll add my two cents here...

The body, neck, joint-type, knob placement, hardware, fit, finish,etc, and tone

all vary depending on plant, yom, and bunches of other variables. Of my 5, there's

two U's, one S, one I, and one EE. I love them all in spite of their subtle differences.

I really don't have a favorite. Each offers somthing I look for at a given time. The

small diferences between them are simply going to be a given due to broad allow-

ances in who even produces them, (or where), and still refering to them as a singular

entity. Overall they do the job, look pass-ably similar at least to each other, and are

a good value for the money spent. You want to argue about high-end hardware place-

ment, amount of proper bevelage, amount of screws in a small pickguard... then really

you should talk about this on a make where that degree of consistancy is maintained.

I like the G-400 however it comes. I don't expect too much of it. Lord knows the ones

I have far exceed my abilty as I'm sure they do of many. Most of them I've seen are pretty

decent guitars for anybody up to a serious intermediate level player or even those who

have a tendency to somewhat overestimate their actual degree of proficiency. If not;

the investment is low enough that one can change it to suit without worry of harming

resale value or "originality". That to me is one of the biggest draws of the G-400. It is

what it is, some ARE better than others but it's been unusual (for me) to find one that's

a total hopeless case, barring damaged or factory questioned/reject.

I am a fan of the G-400 so to satisfy that urge I try to keep a mix of all the things I love about

them somwhere within the mix of models on hand. Small and Large pickguards, check. Trap-

azoids, blocks, dots, yep. Covered and Uncovered pickups, yes. Vibrola? one of those in the

works. Ebony, Cherry, Other... I wish I had one in every weird color they've been offered in

but for now it's 1 Black, 3 Cherry, and one in the process of going Green. I don't nitpick the

l'il things, I celebrate them. Just have fun. Don't try to imagine they're anything more that a

dang good instrument for, (just about anybody), at a more than fair price. Leave the ego and

the compairisons in the coat check room and just enjoy the things for what they are and the

entertainment they provide.

Wedgie

I've since changed my mind about this. I love my two G-400s the way they are. I just bought a new EE-made '66 G-400 (cherry) and it is mind-blowing. I also have a regular '62 G-400, Unsung-made (also cherry), and while still an excellent guitar, the new '66 is far superior in build quality. But I don't care, I've had the '62 since 2001 and it was the first "professional" guitar I ever owned.

I wouldn't trade my two G-400s for anything. I also have a SG Junior that compliments them both.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just bought one on ebay for £100. It arrived and had cream binding and a cream nut which was a nice bonus! It didn't really show up on the picture! It's a faded cherry finish, a batwing pickguard and has a orange switch tip. It's a G400 but does anybody know what edition it is? Ta!

Just bought one on ebay for £100. It arrived and had cream binding and a cream nut which was a nice bonus! It didn't really show up on the picture! It's a faded cherry finish' date=' a batwing pickguard and has a orange switch tip. It's a G400 but does anybody know what edition it is? Ta![/quote']

With a batwing pickguard it will be a '66 G400.

I nearly pulled the trigger on this one after spotting the neck binding.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EPIPHONE-SUNFADE-SG-GIBSON-THE-WHO-PAUL-WELLER-AC-DC_W0QQitemZ250606708258QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item3a5952e622#ht_500wt_1182

Check out the Prophecy SGs. They have the cream colored binding. I'm bummed my G-400 doesn't have the "wood" binding you show on your '04. I wish it did. Mine's an '09 EE. I have no problem w/ the knob positions. I think they're fine. But I wish the G-400 also had the 24 fret fingerboard like the Prophecies.

On paper the Prophecy made more sense to me than the G-400, but the quality of the Prophecy I "test drove" was unacceptable. My G-400 is way better. I'm bummed about the lack of binding & 24 frets but overall I think the G-400 was the best value in double cut, 2 HB guitars on the market. I'm quite pleased with it so far........

I think that the G-400 should come with the full pickguard standard' date=' and have a limited edition with the smaller PG, since (oh boy I think I'm going to get flamed for this one) most people prefer the bigger Pickguard. It would be the opposite of what it is now, with the '66 being the one with the larger PG.[/quote']

I have a G-400 with the smaller pickguard (1962 version). I like the fact that it leaves more of the body visible than does the larger pickguard. That being said, I also love the look of the larger pickguard (1966 version). I like both equally (but for slightly different reasons).

I do find it interesting though that they read and delete off topic posts' date=' but they don't read posts directed right at them. Maybe the "Forum Feedback" section would be the best place to try to incite change, as that's the most frequented by mods (which is not all too frequent).[/quote']

Posts are deleted by mods but they are not Epiphone employees or anything. Not being Epiphone employees they have no way to make/forward suggestions to Epiphone (other than calling the company and making a suggestion the same way you can).

To think that what is posted here could (or should) somehow make its way to the desks of Epiphone execs is incredibly naive.

Yes' date=' they did. [i']Moneytalks[/i] is an AC/DC-song from The Razors Edge

The saying has been traced back to Giovanni Torriano's Italian Proverbs (1666).

Reportedly, it first appeared in the U.S. in the Saturday Evening Post (Sept. 3, 1903).

LOL! Never do' date=' man...never do! But, as varied as this forum is,

in members, from all over the world, with all our various playing styles,

if they Don't pay attention, to what goes on here (besides deleting

threads and banning members for "God knows what" offenses)...they're

missing a golden opportunity! I can't believe, they could be that stupid.

But, maybe I'm the "Stupid" one, here? LOL!

CB[/quote']

Seriously man, you have to realize that Epiphone might sponsor this forum (eg. make it available as other companies do) but that is the extent of it. They pay for the webhosting or whatever but they do not, and never will, monitor the forums. And 'Epiphone' does not delete posts - the mods here do. You have to figure this out - there is NO real connection between this forum and Epiphone and to think that there is is beyond naive.

The saying has been traced back to Giovanni Torriano's Italian Proverbs (1666).

Reportedly' date=' it first appeared in the U.S. in the Saturday Evening Post (Sept. 3, 1903).[/quote']

Thank You Brian.

You have to figure this out - there is NO real connection between this forum and Epiphone and to think that there is is beyond naive.

Oh, I think they monitor this site more than you think.

But as with any international business, it's a just one element among a host of factors that they consider, number one being what the DEALERS want. Other factors are long & short-range business objectives, market positioning, manufacturing capacity and labor conditions, exchange rates, competition, current inventory, model demand, etc. etc.

But yes, we are nothing more than the rabble beyond the moat. Entertaining to occaisionally eavesdrop on, but not terribly important unless we figure out a way to storm the gates...

Im pretty sure Angusn did man. Who said it then?

Are you serious?!? Do you really think they invented that line? Did it never occur to you that that line had existed for ages and they just used it?

That saying is a variant of 'talk is cheap' and has been around for far far longer than anyone in AC/DC has been alive.

Archived