Gibson Brands Forums

The G-400

Roswell

Even though I know I need a new amp and should just get one and a case for the Dot instead of a new love, the GAS is getting to me... I know there's a thread being critical of the G-400, but seeing as a good deal of you own one, how do you like it?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main reason I ask is since I already have a Dot and a single-coil Strat knockoff, and am debating if I want to upgrade to a better single-coiler or get a non-hollow humbucker (e.g. the LP or G-400). Like I said, I need a new amp (all I have is the crappy practice amp in my sig), but the GAS is overwhelming #-o

Get an epiphone valve junior halfstack' date=' and another extension cab.

A 2x12 ministack of single ended tube fury will stave off your gas for a bit.

Plus, it's not much more than a G-400 in price...[/quote']Might also piss the hell out of my parents[-x

Any sample Fender amps? Under $300-400 is preferred, since that's about my price limit #-o Also, would the new Peavey (whose name I forgot) or the somewhat similar Vox AD30VT be worth a look?

I need some HELP! here. (sorry, couldn't resist the pun)

A good amp will open up some sounds you simply can't get with a bad amp... possibly making your old guitars feel "new."

I'm not looking forward to going off to the dorms with just my Squier practice amp... it's a decent little amp, and sounds quite nice with an overdrive, but it's nowhere near the Valve Junior.

Repeat after me: "buy an amp", "buy an amp". I strongly feel that should be your

next purchase. You have a good guitar in the Dot but it and every other guitar you

have will sound like crap thru that POS practice amp. Just buy an amp with a

headphone jack for when your parental units are not away.

Repeat after me: "buy an amp"' date=' "buy an amp". I strongly feel that should be your

next purchase. You have a good guitar in the Dot but it and every other guitar you

have will sound like crap thru that POS practice amp. Just buy an amp with a

headphone jack for when your parental units are not away.[/quote']

I have to agree with Ron on this. Big time.

I noticed a couple of Roland Microcubes at Guitar Center for about 120 bucks with tax yesterday. As for the other amps I own, or have owned?

My main amp right now is a Roland Cube 60. I absolutely love that amplifier! It's 60 watts, it has footswitch outlets (for Boss F5-5 pedals), it has a small profile, it's tough...and it offers all kinds of samples. (It also has a jack for a speaker cabinet...a 2x12 would be great for it!)

It's the one amp where I can pretty much go from a church gig to a blues jam to a classic rock sound to insane metal distortion, and it's all balanced. And at 60 watts, it's just the right size for a lot of small clubs. (I think the price on it was right around 300 dollars as well.) It's also got built in chorus, delay, reverb, flanging, phaser, presence, and tremolo. I know a lot of guys swear by 100 Watt heads and cabinets....but I used to run one of those (a tube head no less) and I hated it because it wasn't the right size for anything short of a large outdoor gig.

I also have a Line 6 Spider II with 2 150 watt channels, but a lot of times...that stays at home. Unless I'm playing with a really, really loud band, that Roland keeps up just fine.

I know guitars can give you GAS....but a killer amp makes all the difference in the world....

Listen to Ron G.!

Time to do some amp shopping then :P So I should look at a tube amp?

Absolutely. Go to a store and play all the amps you can until the salesman drives you out of the store. Try 'em all!

(But to be fair about this....tube amps are a bit more pricey vs. solid state. And although a lot of folks will swear by the tube amps, there's nothing wrong with solid state stuff....especially for the price. The only other advice I can give is don't shy away from a potential amp because it's solid state....and, look at the used market. You can probably get a really good, reliable amp for a decent price...)

PS: Almost forgot. Don't forget to take your guitar with you.....

I use my Valve Junior exclusively... I used it in the high school auditorium, 600-person capacity, and it was just reaching its limit for my style of playing, because I prefer to keep it clean, which means no going past six o'clock.

I used it two weeks ago for an oustide gig, and I had it going through the PA system.

It's not really necessary to have a huge amp anymore, unless you're going to play auditoriums without a PA.

I might call my local guitar store and see if he'd let me haul the Dot in to play with amps. Amps are the store's forte anyway, so I could pick out a model or two I like and see if I can get a deal on it.

As pohatu made reference to, the main reason I dislike tubes is they distort pretty heavily at louder volumes.

I might call my local guitar store and see if he'd let me haul the Dot in to play with amps. Amps are the store's forte anyway' date=' so I could pick out a model or two I like and see if I can get a deal on it.

As pohatu made reference to, the main reason I dislike tubes is they distort pretty heavily at louder volumes.[/quote']

I don't see why the local store wouldn't let you do this....in fact, when players DO bring their guitars in, a lot of times salespeople will take that as a sign of a serious buyer.

Hey Roswell, how are you goin, mate we G 400 players love our guitars, I love the real punch it has I can (with the aid of effects) get it to scream on solo's but at the same time play real mellow stuff. Like most of my guitars, they all have different sounds and some time sound better (to my ear) at different songs. Appart from loving guitars and music, that's partly why I have 7 guitars.

So if a G 400 is what YOU want mate get one.

Cheers

RR

Archived